Yokomo B-MAX2 MR/RS

Old 12-29-2014, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by endurohero View Post
My car with my lrp esc, d3.5, orion shorty,92744 reciever with 22g of lead comes in at 1585. I have run as low as 2deg of rear toe with custom pills in the front holder. I was at the local clay track today for 6 hours trying many different set up changes. On my 17.5 car i ended up with 25 wt oil kit pistons losi red springs inside hole on tower no shims under the ball stud, .5mm shim behind sterring rack ball stud. I tried 5 different sets of tires. (some of which came off the car of the local top driver in 17.5 with 30 yrs of racing experience) At the end of the day with a clean 6 min run with no traffic i got within 1 lap of the normal pace of the top 10 with a fast lap within .6 of last weeks TQ. I have installed the v2 lower shock caps to stop the shock pump up issue but it still seems to happen. At the 3 min mark give or take the car goes way off and becomes a real handful and i instantly drop 1 sec/lap slowing down to keep the car between the pipes. The best tire set ups are the standard broke in gold bar codes with used red aka inserts or gold dirt webs with the same inserts both prepped for 15 min with trinity black dot sauce.
This sounds like a problem I had. See if someone will run your car for you and see if the problem exists. Normally with what your saying its a driver issue not a car issue. You might be pushing the car more than it can handle and this will slow you down. 17.5 class is all about corner speed and being smooth. Also look at your lap consistency over the entire race. If your top 5 and top x(last column-depending on track size) are off by more than .2 seconds, the problem is you and not the car. I try to never depend on traction sauce as it is a handicap for a bad setup.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ok thanks for the advice.

Last edited by endurohero; 12-30-2014 at 09:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-01-2015, 10:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

New ride ready for tomorrow night. Should be fun.
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo B-MAX2 MR/RS-20150101_210707.jpg  
Old 01-05-2015, 10:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Clean... where did you run?
Old 01-05-2015, 09:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrorush27 View Post
Clean... where did you run?
Ran at LSR speedway.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Ok I'm about to throw in the towel, no matter what I do I just can't gain forward grip . I am running pinpoint rears on carpet but no one else is having the issue I'm having. I'm running a shorty inline, will putting in a saddle or a square pack help with this issue? That's the only thing I haven't tried. Im running
blue springs all around
40wt front 30wt rear 2x1.6 pistons
long rear camber link 2mm shim inside 1mm out side
med link front 2mm shim inside. Outer hole on caster block
inside hole on front arm middle hole on tower
inside hole rear arm inside hole on tower
no limiters in front shocks
4deg rear tow in
-2 deg front and rear camber
2deg antisquat
battery inline 15 grams weight on each side of battery towards back.
Rear Hubs frowrd
front hubs forward
gear diff with 3000
if I'm missing something let me know
what can I do to gain forward bite
and I've already had others drive the car.
thanks.

Last edited by 303slowdown; 01-05-2015 at 10:40 PM. Reason: added pistons
Old 01-05-2015, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 303slowdown View Post
Ok I'm about to throw in the towel, no matter what I do I just can't gain forward grip . I am running pinpoint rears on carpet but no one else is having the issue I'm having. I'm running a shorty inline, will putting in a saddle or a square pack help with this issue? That's the only thing I haven't tried. Im running
blue springs all around
40wt front 30wt rear 2x1.6 pistons
long rear camber link 2mm shim inside 1mm out side
med link front 2mm shim inside. Outer hole on caster block
inside hole on front arm middle hole on tower
inside hole rear arm inside hole on tower
no limiters in front shocks
4deg rear tow in
-2 deg front and rear camber
2deg antisquat
battery inline 15 grams weight on each side of battery towards back.
Rear Hubs frowrd
front hubs forward
gear diff with 3000
if I'm missing something let me know
what can I do to gain forward bite
and I've already had others drive the car.
thanks.

Are you running on Ozite, or more industrial grade commercial carpet?

here is a really good carpet setup from MarkA who seems to have a good grasp of the setup on these cars.
(Ignore the pink i was comparing his carpet setup to a dirt setup.)

See how well the following does for you.
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo B-MAX2 MR/RS-1420527288622.jpg  
Old 01-05-2015, 11:41 PM
Tech Elite

Yah it's ozite . Thanks for the setup I'll give it a shot
Old 01-06-2015, 08:10 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I'll post a slightly revised carpet setup for the inline pack and 1-piece chassis when I get a chance later but for now, a question, what inserts are in your rear tires?
Old 01-06-2015, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

I have aka red inserts
Old 01-06-2015, 08:37 AM

I have aka red inserts
I was 99% sure closed-cell was going to be the answer. Even though logic dictates it should be better, in reality, you don't run closed cell on carpet. Even the way grippier Schumachers run best on open-cell foam and in fact, the fronts are often best with no insert. Does anyone at your track have some Schumachers on open-cell you can borrow for a run?
Old 01-06-2015, 08:52 AM

This my latest and probably final evolution of my carpet setup for this car. One reason should be in the mail very soon, the other is that it's simply dialed for my closest carpet track and is limited only by the nut behind the wheel.

Also below are a pic of the car sans body so you can see the weight placement next to the battery. Ignore the messy ESC battery wiring. After a local, multiple track, race series ends and my YZ-2 is ready, this will become my dirt car so I needed to leave enough wire to flip the battery back to across the back easily. Pic of the car as it would hit the track on my scale is also below. The car has a 45g front bulkhead and another 10g towards the rear and comes in at 1542g so I'm always baffled at people reporting 1590g+ weights even when they're trying to get the cars' weight down.

You can actually go inside the building the track this is for on Google Maps here. Not as "pretty" as some Euro tracks but always a fun time.
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo B-MAX2 MR/RS-carpetcar.jpg   Yokomo B-MAX2 MR/RS-carpetweight.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Bmax2MRCarpet.pdf (249.2 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by MarkA; 01-06-2015 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 01-06-2015, 09:07 AM
mes
Tech Master

I'd say get rid of the Pinpoints, these tires (just like the front Wedges) IMHO are useless. On carpet go for yellow Schumacher Minipins with Schumacher black inserts (on astroturf try the Schumacher tubby insert U6747) and LP cut stagger ribs without inserts in the front. Mounting the front tires on a cut slim front wheel is a lot of work, but worth the effort. If you run white wheels, you can get these tires as premounts (U6792 rear/U6801 front).

I tried some of PL's carpet tires last year during the Intermodellbau hobbyshow in Dortmund last year, where everybody else was running Schumacher or dBoots tires, and I struggled just about everywhere. After I ended up in the D-main, I borrowed some Minipins and only had to struggle with a massive understeer due to the Wedge squared in the front. I managed to win the D-main unchallenged thanks to the Schumacher rear tires, they are really something else...
Old 01-06-2015, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

I've used th dboots but I can't afford to keep using them (I only get about 6-8 races out of a pair of rears and then there bald. I had a durango buggy before the yokomo and could get half a season out of a pair of pinpoints. Never had the forward traction issue before so Im pretty sure it's setup issue, or it could be a bad pair of tires I guess.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:09 AM

I've used th dboots but I can't afford to keep using them (I only get about 6-8 races out of a pair of rears and then there bald. I had a durango buggy before the yokomo and could get half a season out of a pair of pinpoints. Never had the forward traction issue before so Im pretty sure it's setup issue, or it could be a bad pair of tires I guess.
Schumacher > DBoots. The DBoots can get within a few tenths on speed but as you've already found out, don't have a good wear rate. There's a reason why at big races in Europe without a handout tire rule, Schumachers become the defacto/only tire used at the sharp end of the field.

Our other carpet track in OR is pure Ozite and requires slicks. People have found that the Schumachers ground into slicks even outrun tires manufactured as slicks.

Their carcass + open cell foam is just unbeatable on the rug. Trust us on this one...

Originally Posted by mes View Post
If you run white wheels, you can get these tires as premounts (U6792 rear/U6801 front).
A note on the pre-mounts in the U.S. - None of the major online retailers (Amain, etc.) carry them yet but if your track has a Schumacher account, they can get them. They're on the wall right now at my local track's shop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service