Wiki Posts
Search

New to electric off road!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default New to electric off road!

I bought a couple B44 (oldest gen) buggies off of a couple guys here and am hoping to be able to get them going (one at least, maybe the second for my son as he gets old enough - he turns 5 in a few days).

I am new to the electric scene, having mostly ran nitro buggies and monster trucks.

I've got a couple saddle batteries coming from hobby king - turnigy 4850mh 50C. Seemed like a really good deal. They were back stocked on the 5100mh 65c, so I hope I did ok getting the 50s.

One buggy comes with an esc/motor installed (mamba max 7700 combo). The other was a roller + parts. I've got an old esc (F1) that I got when I traded for some rc stuff to get back into the hobby. I may give it a go on the other buggy if you guys think it would suffice (and assuming it works). I also have a drawer full of motors that I'm hoping will work with it (not sure if they will fit - they might me 1/8 scale). Do you think the F1 would run off of the 2s lipo batteries?

I also bought a duratrax onyx 245 charger from another member from here. It looks like it will do a decent job on these batteries. I don't intend on going bigger for batteries (we all say that, right?) so I think it will get me by for a bit at least.

Any pointers or tips you guys can throw at me? I'm reading through the B44 threads right now just trying to get a feel for what I've gotten myself into. The B44.2 may have been a better buy, but I really wanted two buggies, and they weren't in the budget for what I wanted to do. So I'm going with older, but proven technology.

Am I on the right path or do I need to do/get something different?

Thanks guys! Rctech is an awesome forum. Very glad I found it!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

not familiar with the f1 esc, however check the specs on it. some are not designed for 4x4, also depends on what motor you plan to run. a 8th scale motor will not work in the 44.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Tech Rookie

My batteries showed up today. Quick shipping from hobby king. And the onyx is here (235, not 245). I'm getting used to it by charging some nimh packs I have. Seems to work well.

How long is it ok to keep the lipo batteries charged? I stuck them in the fridge for now, but was curious how long I can go leaving them charged. Or do I just run them whenever I can and leave them drained as much as I use up that day and charge the next time I run?

Buggies should arrive on Tuesday, so I will have plenty to do when they get here.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 248 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flamron
My batteries showed up today. Quick shipping from hobby king. And the onyx is here (235, not 245). I'm getting used to it by charging some nimh packs I have. Seems to work well.

How long is it ok to keep the lipo batteries charged? I stuck them in the fridge for now, but was curious how long I can go leaving them charged. Or do I just run them whenever I can and leave them drained as much as I use up that day and charge the next time I run?

Buggies should arrive on Tuesday, so I will have plenty to do when they get here.
It is recommended to leave them at around 3.85v/cell for long term storage. I would say if you are not going to run them for over 1 week to drop them to storage mode. Most chargers will have a storage mode that will charge or discharge the packs to these voltages. I do not think the Onyx has a storage mode though. I am also pretty sure it does not have a balancer built in so if it is needed for those saddle packs I would pick up an external balancer.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am new to the electric scene, having mostly ran nitro buggies and monster trucks.
Welcome to the clean and quiet world!!!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Tech Rookie

I checked the onyx, and it says it does balance. I didn't see anything about storage charge, though. Do I just run it down and then plug it into the charger to see what they read to store them? Or is there something I can get that will storage charge/discharge them that doesn't cost a bunch? I'll get it either way, but it would be nice to buy something cheap in this hobby. My wife is getting suspicious with all the boxes showing up.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits
Welcome to the clean and quiet world!!!
Thanks. I'm hopeful rebuilding an electric motor is a little cleaner than a nitro motor. And I'm looking forward to not buying nitro fuel as well.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Check page 10 in your manual, gives instruction on how to storage charge. Most chargers have a setting to do it automatically, but yours seems to be a more lengthy setup.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Good deal. It didn't come with a manual, so I just downloaded it. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks. I'm hopeful rebuilding an electric motor is a little cleaner than a nitro motor
No rebuilding...just tossing. The brushed motor days are history.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Tech Addict

My wife is getting suspicious with all the boxes showing up.
Have everything shipped to your job or a friends house!!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits
No rebuilding...just tossing. The brushed motor days are history.
What is this "Brushed" Motor you speak of?