Un glueing tires

Old 12-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default Un glueing tires

Guys what's the best way to do this and still reuse the rims, foams and of course tires? I need to reset my suburb m4's on buggy rims. I has someone glue them for me cause I was in a rush, they were glued crooked and now way out of balance.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Johnnyr/c View Post
Guys what's the best way to do this and still reuse the rims, foams and of course tires? I need to reset my suburb m4's on buggy rims. I has someone glue them for me cause I was in a rush, they were glued crooked and now way out of balance.
There's no good way to keep open cell foams unless you cut the tire off. If closed cell, the acetone method works best.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Two methods. Soak in acetone (foams will be junk), but will get the glue off clean. It does however effect some compounds. The Jconcepts Golds will actually shrink by about 15% in size.

The other is to boil in water or bake in a oven, I think 220 degrees. This for me is a "sometimes it works, sometimes it don't" scenario. And you usually have glue residue left on the tire and rim. The rim you soak in acetone and it will come clean, but the tire you might have to dremel the old glue off.

If it were me, I would give the tires back to your buddy and ask him to buy ya new wheels tires and foams.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Yea I got closed cell AKA foams. Soak the rims or put acetone in spots and work section by section?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I cut the tires off, down to the bead. Remove foam, drop in a ziplock disposable container with about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of acetone in the bottom, close lid. Soak overnight, remains of tires come off like fat rubber bands with ease.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Tech Legend

Skin the tire off the rim with a X knife, then soak the rims in acetone to remove the glue ...
Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. I use a block of wood in the bottom of the bucket to hold the tires above the acetone. I put maybe an inch of acetone in the bucket then place the tires and rims on the block. Put the cover on the bucket and let it sit two or three days. Tires will easily come off the rims and the foams will not be harmed.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is it worth all the trouble over buying premounts?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
Is it worth all the trouble over buying premounts?
I usually glue myself, but I have de rims with m4's for my rb5, I don't think there is pre mounts
Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SOuthernFRIED View Post
I have a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. I use a block of wood in the bottom of the bucket to hold the tires above the acetone. I put maybe an inch of acetone in the bucket then place the tires and rims on the block. Put the cover on the bucket and let it sit two or three days. Tires will easily come off the rims and the foams will not be harmed.
So you don't actually submerge them? The fumes is what does the trick?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yup. That's probably the best way to do it.

I've baked tires off before. The red AKA foams have no problem being baked, but the one time I tried baking proline cc foams they shrunk up and were unusable.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have tested multiply ways of getting tires off while saving all three parts, and have found that putting them in a ziplock bag, with about 1/4 cup acetone (this is for 4 tires, so take away some if you are doing less), and arrange them so they all lay flat on one of the beads when you put the bag down. Leave them a day or two, then flip them, and leave them another 1-2 days. One side can come off as fast as 12 hours depending on the glue job, the extra time is just to make sure. Closed cell foams won't be wrecked by this, and its fairly quick and easy. Also definitely the cheapest as you are using a little bit of acetone.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Correct! The fumes from the acetone will eat the glue and will leave the foams intact and unaffected. I basically use a scrap piece of wood from a 2x4 but anything that will allow an inch or so of acetone in the bucket while keeping the tires above the acetone will work. I have used this method dozens of times and it works really well without damaging the foams. You must have a lid for the bucket to seal it off.. I usually leave them in 3 days, you don't need to flip them or anything, just let them sit in the sealed bucket.

Oh yea, I need to add one thing. I've done some pre-mounts over the years that needed more time.. like 5 days. If you take your tires out after 3 days and they still have some sticky spots just put them back in for couple more days.

Last edited by SOuthernFRIED; 12-28-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: added some info