Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
tekin rs pro: is this easy to fix? >

tekin rs pro: is this easy to fix?

tekin rs pro: is this easy to fix?

Old 12-27-2012, 02:23 AM
Tech Champion

Default tekin rs pro: is this easy to fix?

Hello

I need a new racing ESC that I could run in both 1/10 offroad and 1/12 onroad category so I thought about the rspro considering I have the hotwire already.

A friend could sell me an old one for cheap but it's in bad shape (you can click on the pic to make it bigger):

It runs ok and everything but I would like to replace the cable. Do you think it's possible without taking too much risks?
Old 12-27-2012, 02:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I would say depends on your soldering skill or the soldering skill of someone you can recruit.

Assuming that the PCB (printed circuit board) inside isn't damaged, you can just buy a servo wire extension, cut it to length, then strip the ends off that extension and replace the existing 3-wire radio interface (as that seems a bit torn).

Next thing I would do, is after replacing the receiver interface wires, I would solder wick each of the terminals, as the solder seems to be blobbed on there.

I would even go as far as replacing the capacitor. That one looks pretty beat up. My recommendation is get 220uF (microfarad) to 330uF, minimum 16V (25V if you can, I use the times three rule on working voltage of caps, since you can see as high of a spike as two times the actual working voltage of 7.4V)

It looks fixable, but may have to spend a few hours repairing it. I think after you do, brush it with some rubbing alcohol and napkin and it should be shiny...

Ofcourse, this is assuming that non of the ICs and FETs are damaged inside...

EDIT: Forgot to mention. Looking at the picture, since the 3-wire receiver interface looks beat up starting right outside the casing, all of these repairs assume that you are opening the casing and removing the wires directly from the PCB. I think if you're not comfortable doing that (working underneath a microscope with minimum 3x zoom would greatly help), I would just contact Tekin to see if they offer such services.

But being that this ESC is quite old, the labor cost of repairing it at Tekin's end may far outweigh the actual value of that ESC (BER - Beyond Economical Repair)...
Old 12-27-2012, 03:06 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
I would say depends on your soldering skill or the soldering skill of someone you can recruit.

Assuming that the PCB (printed circuit board) inside isn't damaged, you can just buy a servo wire extension, cut it to length, then strip the ends off that extension and replace the existing 3-wire radio interface (as that seems a bit torn).

Next thing I would do, is after replacing the receiver interface wires, I would solder wick each of the terminals, as the solder seems to be blobbed on there.

I would even go as far as replacing the capacitor. That one looks pretty beat up. My recommendation is get 220uF (microfarad) to 330uF, minimum 16V (25V if you can, I use the times three rule on working voltage of caps, since you can see as high of a spike as two times the actual working voltage of 7.4V)

It looks fixable, but may have to spend a few hours repairing it. I think after you do, brush it with some rubbing alcohol and napkin and it should be shiny...

Ofcourse, this is assuming that non of the ICs and FETs are damaged inside...

EDIT: Forgot to mention. Looking at the picture, since the 3-wire receiver interface looks beat up starting right outside the casing, all of these repairs assume that you are opening the casing and removing the wires directly from the PCB. I think if you're not comfortable doing that (working underneath a microscope with minimum 3x zoom would greatly help), I would just contact Tekin to see if they offer such services.

But being that this ESC is quite old, the labor cost of repairing it at Tekin's end may far outweigh the actual value of that ESC (BER - Beyond Economical Repair)...
This is even more of an answer than what I was expecting, thanks! A Tekin repair would be too expensive because of the shipping costs (I live in Belgium) and I'm no real pro at soldering so I think it might be better not taking the risk.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
This is even more of an answer than what I was expecting, thanks! A Tekin repair would be too expensive because of the shipping costs (I live in Belgium) and I'm no real pro at soldering so I think it might be better not taking the risk.

it is not hard to do...find one of your racing buddys who is proficient, and go to town....
Old 12-27-2012, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

I have replaced mine, need a good sharp tip on the iron. Was not hard at all.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I've done it. If you have a decent iron and are comfortable attempting, have it. It's no more difficult than replacing the lead on a servo. The hardest part for me was getting the case back together, without that stupid gasket falling out of place.

Once you get the case off, the leads are easily accessible, right on the bottom of the lowest board. Desolder, resolder, done.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

I just did it myself on a pretty beat up rs pro I got in a trade it's pretty easy if u wanna send it to me ill do it for free for u.... Oops never mind just saw ur in Belgium. Ill still do it if u want but sendin it to tekin would prob cost the same.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Tech Champion

thanks!

I have a good soldering station (hakko 936) that I bought to solder my RX8 correctly so it should be ok
Old 12-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
thanks!

I have a good soldering station (hakko 936) that I bought to solder my RX8 correctly so it should be ok
The Hakko is a great soldering station but if you have the big chisel tip it may be difficult to solder a delicate wire to the board. If you have a small pointy tip the size of a pencil tip you should be ok.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Pretty easy to solder that. Just pop the acrews out, open it up. You will see where the cable connects just solder a new servo tail on.
I
Do this regularly with a 30 watt cheapachu iron. I use a rosen flux pen to make it easier. Tekin will charge you $95 to replace that no questions asked if you phuc it up so no biggie.
If you need help i can open one of
Mine up and take a pic if
You need to see how the wires go.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Tech Champion

I have small pointy tips, no problem You're right to remind me about tekin's repair service, it's the same price for a RX8. I see if I can find any similar ESC for the same price and in better shape. If I don't, I'll take this one and do the trick. Thanks again to everyone for the help
Old 12-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
So I'm looking to replace my Tekin caps also, you saying to get a 330uF 25v one? Can I stop by my friendly Radio Shack and pick those up?
Old 12-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vw addict View Post
So I'm looking to replace my Tekin caps also, you saying to get a 330uF 25v one? Can I stop by my friendly Radio Shack and pick those up?
Typically the electrolytic caps you find at Radioshack are not very good (high ESR and ESL).
Old 12-29-2012, 04:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi there. I have just bought one used myself. I went on eBAY and bought a new case set for it and cleaned up with electro spray (13 Dollars incl. freight). Then I re-soldered in new wires. And will get a new cap in and I am good to go

Just make sure to use some good electro spray or likewise to clean up the circuit board and it should give you many hours of flawless driving.

Case sets
  • Google:
    Tekin RS Pro Case Set (Check for the correct one)
  • eBAY:
    Tekin Case Set - eBAY (Check for the correct one)

Good luck!