Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC10 Team Car, 20+ years later

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Tech Regular

Default RC10 Championship Edition, sorta, 20+ years later

Calling out the old-timers. If you know what a ROAR 91 motor was, I need your help.

My 13 year old son is assembling his new Team Durango DEX210 as I write this. It's his first "real" competition model and he's excited to hit the carpet track with it. At the mere mention of taking out my 23 year old RC10 Team Car to run with him the trash talking began. Now it's awn, like Donkey Kong!

The hype of having the latest and greatest has poisoned his mind to the point that he thinks he will be untouchable on the track, at least as far as his old man with a vintage RC10 is concerned. Poor misguided boy.

While I have been racing RC for nearly 30 years, my reflexes aren't what they used to be, and frankly, I don't think for a second that I can just pull this thing out and run with a DEX210. But I do think with a well sorted suspension, some new tires and a decent powerplant that I could hang with him. If that fails, a car can be pretty wide when you have "the shakes" or when old radio equipment "glitches" when another car gets right beside it.

Here is the car as it sits.

Basically a mixed bag of RC10 parts from the same "era". LOL. This thing has done it all and taken a decent beating in the process but it's pretty solid. The Stealth tranny is in good shape and the chassis is tight. I'm thinking it will need new shocks, new rubber and new electronics.

Shocks: Any suggestions? Is the newer FT stuff good or are there better aftermarket ones? (Proline comes to mind)
Tires: Pretty sure I will run mini pins in the rear and stagger cuts in the front which are staples in 2WD buggy classes on carpet. But suggestions are welcome.
Electronics: Need to know what BL motor to run? Want good power but not a wheelie machine. The car will be pretty light compared to new stuff. Is 13.5 boosted too much?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Sean

Last edited by Radi0Flyer; 12-26-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

if you have a 17.5 thats good..Just get the shocks together,run the same spring setup as the current b4 with oil and pistons..Later I would update the slipper..The newb4 slipper and top shaft fits the old car as do the newer front axles,steering knuckles ..I know all this because I run a team car for fun with the new updated parts..Shocks are your main concern,get them dialed and clean the tranny up and you will be good(for a while) there are also ways to convert to current wheels...Gonna take a few dollars
Old 12-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Tech Addict

Lol, I have that same receiver in a drift car. As far as your questions, I think on the shocks I'd just do a rebuild of what you have on there unless you are ok with spending some money for big bores. I think 13.5 boosted would be perfect for power. I'd change to a 2.4gHz radio. I had the same car, wish I still had it. It got thrown out when my Dad moved 10yrs ago. Still got your body? If not, they are still available.

Last edited by Theibault; 12-25-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Go to rc10talk.com, and be prepared to spend a lot of money on ebay. Even then the car will not be able to keep up with modern buggies. I have witnessed a very competitive driver race his modernized RC10, and be several laps off pace. The modern cars do everything better, and are built to a much higher quality. Not to mention modern buggies handle high grip situations way better. Back when the RC10 was king, the dirt was loose. The "dirt" the DEX210 was designed for is smooth, hard packed, and high bite. Not to mention he has the ability to go mid-motor too, which will be a massive advantage on a carpet.

In addition to all this, he can get parts easily. He can run his car as hard as he wants, and not have to worry about where he is going to source parts when something breaks.

I am having a difficult time figuring out why you post the way you do. You joined this forum in 2010, your first post was in November 2011. You posted for about a month, and then disappeared for a year. Now in your first post in this thread you say "I have been racing R/C for nearly 30 years", but based on your posts I think what you meant to say was I raced r/c cars a long time ago, took a long break, and recently got back into racing. If you had been racing non stop for the last 30 years you would know what you needed to do, and where to go to get the parts to get that RC10 back into track ready condition. Not to mention you would know that the RC10 is going to have no chance.

Initially, your driving advantage may yield enough advantage to stay ahead of you son, but once he figures out how to drive just a little bit, he will leave you in the carpet fuzz.

Okay buddy?
Old 12-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford
Go to rc10talk.com, and be prepared to spend a lot of money on ebay. Even then the car will not be able to keep up with modern buggies. I have witnessed a very competitive driver race his modernized RC10, and be several laps off pace. The modern cars do everything better, and are built to a much higher quality. Not to mention modern buggies handle high grip situations way better. Back when the RC10 was king, the dirt was loose. The "dirt" the DEX210 was designed for is smooth, hard packed, and high bite. Not to mention he has the ability to go mid-motor too, which will be a massive advantage on a carpet.
Been there since 2008 thanks.
The idea is not to maintain a permanent advantage over the boy, just to get the car so it will go around a track decently enough to have fun. He will eventually get faster and start lapping quicker than me, but that is the plan. Then I will get my own "newer" car and regain my advantage until my aging body can no longer keep up with his teenage Call Of Duty developed hand-eye coordination.

In addition to all this, he can get parts easily. He can run his car as hard as he wants, and not have to worry about where he is going to source parts when something breaks.
Not a reason of concern for me. I haven't run out of spares in 23 years of abuse.

I am having a difficult time figuring out why you post the way you do. You joined this forum in 2010, your first post was in November 2011. You posted for about a month, and then disappeared for a year. Now in your first post in this thread you say "I have been racing R/C for nearly 30 years", but based on your posts I think what you meant to say was I raced r/c cars a long time ago, took a long break, and recently got back into racing. If you had been racing non stop for the last 30 years you would know what you needed to do, and where to go to get the parts to get that RC10 back into track ready condition. Not to mention you would know that the RC10 is going to have no chance.
I prefer to read rather than post so much. I have four boys and we also race motorcycles so I don't have time to socialize too much on the forums. I think you may have misunderstood my motive for this thread. I'm fairly certain I could have worked out the details on my own but what would be the fun in that? I think there are more than a few "old timers" here that get a kick out of STILL running old school stuff. It's a bit of a comic relief with a semi-serious nature.
As far as racing, used to race dirt, on-road and carpet back in the day and got out when crawling became popular. We have every Axial model to date in our stable. Brushed technology is still very much alive at the moment in crawling so I had no need to go to BL and LiPo until recently. I thought about running some old brushed motors and NiCads against the youngster but then I came to my senses.

Initially, your driving advantage may yield enough advantage to stay ahead of you son, but once he figures out how to drive just a little bit, he will leave you in the carpet fuzz.
I'm sure with a new B4.1 I could thoroughly demolish him until he is no longer interested in the hobby. Big bad dad.
I don't know if you have kids. Lead them for to long and you will lose them. Push them from behind until they lose you.

Okay buddy?
Ok.

Sean
Old 12-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hairymuffin
if you have a 17.5 thats good..Just get the shocks together,run the same spring setup as the current b4 with oil and pistons..Later I would update the slipper..The newb4 slipper and top shaft fits the old car as do the newer front axles,steering knuckles ..I know all this because I run a team car for fun with the new updated parts..Shocks are your main concern,get them dialed and clean the tranny up and you will be good(for a while) there are also ways to convert to current wheels...Gonna take a few dollars
Originally Posted by Theibault
Lol, I have that same receiver in a drift car. As far as your questions, I think on the shocks I'd just do a rebuild of what you have on there unless you are ok with spending some money for big bores. I think 13.5 boosted would be perfect for power. I'd change to a 2.4gHz radio. I had the same car, wish I still had it. It got thrown out when my Dad moved 10yrs ago. Still got your body? If not, they are still available.
Thanks guys. I don't mind spending money. If I did I certainly wouldn't have four boys!

A lot of the fun is building these things. Maybe I should get some really shinny parts (like Integy or similar) and just hype them. The kid hasn't learned that shinny does not equal fast yet.

Sean
Old 12-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Have you been running that RC10 on a track for the last 23 years? I really think you are in for a rude awakening. After you put a whole bunch of time and effort into getting that thing into track ready shape, you are not going to want to smash it around the track. If all you have been doing is crawling for the last several years, it is going to be an eye opening experience when you put a car on the track. If that car is something that you will have a hard time finding even one part, you are going to hold back.

As for your audience here, not really. Most people here fall into one of two categories. Almost everyone here is concerned with shaving tenths off of their lap times, using the newest parts and car. Then you have a few people who bash. Most people here are too new in this hobby to have been around when the RC10 existed. Most of us that have been around since the RC10 really don't have any interest in this. I am competitive where I race, my nostalgia for running an RC10 is far outweighed by my desire to win. It would be different if there was a vintage class, and I could be competitive with an RC10.

Your audience is over at rc10talk. You can post this here, but don't expect to see very much response here.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford
Have you been running that RC10 on a track for the last 23 years? I really think you are in for a rude awakening. After you put a whole bunch of time and effort into getting that thing into track ready shape, you are not going to want to smash it around the track. If all you have been doing is crawling for the last several years, it is going to be an eye opening experience when you put a car on the track. If that car is something that you will have a hard time finding even one part, you are going to hold back.

As for your audience here, not really. Most people here fall into one of two categories. Almost everyone here is concerned with shaving tenths off of their lap times, using the newest parts and car. Then you have a few people who bash. Most people here are too new in this hobby to have been around when the RC10 existed. Most of us that have been around since the RC10 really don't have any interest in this. I am competitive where I race, my nostalgia for running an RC10 is far outweighed by my desire to win. It would be different if there was a vintage class, and I could be competitive with an RC10.

Your audience is over at rc10talk. You can post this here, but don't expect to see very much response here.
Hey Grinch. If you don't have anything nice/good to say, stop posting in his thread. In regards to posts, I've read quite a few of yours. You need to learn some proper social skills.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Admin has decided to give our members a Christmas present.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by racer1812
I wish this site had a like button.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 216 (100%+)

I ran my original GoldTub about 2 months ago against some of our local guy's with the new buggies and my old buggy could hand with them... I was also running an old AE RTR 15T brushed motor . It was some of the most fun i have had on a track in years...
Old 12-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

About time Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I hate that guy. People like him keep me from asking more questions on here. All they care about is their big egos. Any new guy or some one gaining skills is a loser in his mind.

Any way. I think going full nostalgia in your kid would be so sweet. Just race the night of his dex's maiden voyage. Have an equal playing field
Old 12-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Well said... I had an rc10 gold pan and an rc10 graphite that i should've kept. I'm 35 and just got back into the hobby after a 20 plus break... im having a lot of fun

Originally Posted by Radi0Flyer
Been there since 2008 thanks.
The idea is not to maintain a permanent advantage over the boy, just to get the car so it will go around a track decently enough to have fun. He will eventually get faster and start lapping quicker than me, but that is the plan. Then I will get my own "newer" car and regain my advantage until my aging body can no longer keep up with his teenage Call Of Duty developed hand-eye coordination.

Not a reason of concern for me. I haven't run out of spares in 23 years of abuse.

I prefer to read rather than post so much. I have four boys and we also race motorcycles so I don't have time to socialize too much on the forums. I think you may have misunderstood my motive for this thread. I'm fairly certain I could have worked out the details on my own but what would be the fun in that? I think there are more than a few "old timers" here that get a kick out of STILL running old school stuff. It's a bit of a comic relief with a semi-serious nature.
As far as racing, used to race dirt, on-road and carpet back in the day and got out when crawling became popular. We have every Axial model to date in our stable. Brushed technology is still very much alive at the moment in crawling so I had no need to go to BL and LiPo until recently. I thought about running some old brushed motors and NiCads against the youngster but then I came to my senses.

I'm sure with a new B4.1 I could thoroughly demolish him until he is no longer interested in the hobby. Big bad dad.
I don't know if you have kids. Lead them for to long and you will lose them. Push them from behind until they lose you.

Ok.

Sean
Old 12-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jspurgin
I ran my original GoldTub about 2 months ago against some of our local guy's with the new buggies and my old buggy could hand with them... I was also running an old AE RTR 15T brushed motor . It was some of the most fun i have had on a track in years...
OK back to fun stuff!

I have an old Speed Gem Sapphire that I will try first. I think that and a 4500mAh 6.6v LiFePo battery I just got might do well with gearing.

Sean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.