R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #31
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That's awesome, a whole fleet of orange! Watching the little guys race the 50's is always a hoot. Always wanted to try the 520 but never had the chance... you have a brave wife! I love the big bore thumpers but I recently made the switch back to a smoker and couldnt be happier.

Here's my 250 sx... I have a 300 sxs kit waiting in the garage for spring time, the beauty of turning 30 is every class is a run what you brung class. The downside is... well getting old.

Last bike was a xr650r... kinda wish I didnt sell it but but 300 pounds w/ fuel on a platform that did 105 mph was a little hard on wheels and tires. Fork flex was also a issue. But all I ever had to do was keep the air filter and oil clean and it never missed a beat. Once the big XR's were uncorked and could breathe they were dangerous. And fun!

Anyways, don't intend to hijack your thread. Good luck with the build and merry Christmas to you and yours!

Last edited by Deaner; 12-26-2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: too many tags
Deaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #32
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I had a 79' RX7 that was pretty tricked out. Fastest margarita-mixer motor you ever saw!

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #33
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Enough with the motorcycle pictures.

I wanna' see someone get rad on that snowmobile in the background.

So cool that you have all your kids riding.
Deere 440 Cyclone, no suspension to speak of, but somehow still a comfy ride.

I think I might have veered a bit off-topic.

Sean
Old 12-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #34
Tech Adept

That seat must make it a beut for sidehilling lol
Old 12-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #35
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Tip for using RC10talk.com forum- look for threads including the word "runner" to filter out shelf queen builds. There are lots of guys running them. Carpet will be more rare.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #36
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaner View Post
That's awesome, a whole fleet of orange! Watching the little guys race the 50's is always a hoot. Always wanted to try the 520 but never had the chance... you have a brave wife! I love the big bore thumpers but I recently made the switch back to a smoker and couldnt be happier.
I can ride either but I race XC and Enduros and there are two things I really like in the woods, compression braking and the magic button. I know the newer smokers have the button, I really love the 300. I have a CR500 that I used to trail ride but that thing can be a handful. Here I am taking air out of the rear tire in an attempt to get traction on the rocks.

Quote:
Here's my 250 sx... I have a 300 sxs kit waiting in the garage for spring time, the beauty of turning 30 is every class is a run what you brung class. The downside is... well getting old.
Ah you're only as old as you feel. I race vet expert but sometimes I'll drop down to intermediate A and run with you young 'uns.

Quote:
Last bike was a xr650r... kinda wish I didnt sell it but but 300 pounds w/ fuel on a platform that did 105 mph was a little hard on wheels and tires. Fork flex was also a issue. But all I ever had to do was keep the air filter and oil clean and it never missed a beat. Once the big XR's were uncorked and could breathe they were dangerous. And fun!
When I was shopping for a rally bike I had looked at a plated XR650R. I was ready to pull the trigger until I rode a 525EXC. It gave up nothing but weight to the Honda but was much better for what I wanted to do. That was 2005, I still have the 525 and it has over 20K kms on it. It's my do-all bike. Raced MX, Enduros, Hare Scrambles and 800+ kms one day rallies. Also get's the call for just booting around because it's plated. I'll be buried with this thing.

Quote:
Anyways, don't intend to hijack your thread. Good luck with the build and merry Christmas to you and yours!
No worries bud, I highjacked my own thread too! Merry Xmas to all and highjack away boys!

Sean
Old 12-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

for carpet get stiffer springs and heavier oil..like,50 front and 40 rear and run it lower to the ground
hairymuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #38
Tech Adept

The guy I sold the big red pig to plated it and rides it everywhere, not sure how many clicks he has on it now but he hasn't had to set valves or anything. Too bad Honda dropped that bike, the motor was amazing but a 300 pound dirt bike kinda limits who you can market the bike too. And there was no magic button! It started really easy though, just for shits and gigs I tried starting it with my hand, and it worked. Wouldn't recommend that with the 500 though, kickback can hurt Lol kinda thought Honda dropped the ball too by using old CR stock for suspension, brakes and wheels. The fork flexed, the brakes were strong but faded quick and the wheels exploded. Other than that it was fun lol

Dude! Nice 500, that's about a 88? Great era for the big smokers. I had a 87 KX 500 I bought off a ice racer, had a heavy clutch, piped and all that jazz... Was lots of fun but yes, a compete handful in the tight stuff. Shoulda kept that bike as well but honestly I can go anywhere that 500 would with a 250 and it doesn't rattle teeth fillings loose lol Would love to try one of the aluminum framed conversions but I think the 300 kit for the katoom will be just about right.

Did KTM drop the 520 and go with a 500 now? Which I think is based off the 450 platform? I've shied away from the 450s, I've seen too many go up in smoke and the repair bill scares me. I like that I can pull the jug off my bike and put a new slug into the 250 on my lunch break lol

Used to race mx but now when I go to the track and I'm rolling the last triple and 16 year olds are flying over top of me... I got bills to pay yanno? Lol still race hare scramble here in Alberta and at my age now I can't wait to drop a class and sandbag. Lol youth may win on the track but experience wins in the sticks!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #39
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Tip for using RC10talk.com forum- look for threads including the word "runner" to filter out shelf queen builds. There are lots of guys running them. Carpet will be more rare.

Thanks for the tip. I did another search and found some guys running carpet setups.

Sean
Old 12-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

misleading title, thats no Team car and wtf with all the motorcycles.
Have fun with your kid.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Great looking buggy. I'm in the process of restoring my CE. I think it's great that you want to restore it to the point of being able to run it on the track. After all, that's where all these vehicles belong, on the track!

How's the resto going? Have you zipped it around the track yet?
Old 12-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It could have started out as a team car. It clearly has an aftermarket chassis and rear arms installed. Big deal. I got into RC10's in 1986. As far as I'm concerned an RC10 is an RC10. The other titles are irrelevant. I've got a Bullet Racing RC10 that has no stock RC10 parts on it. My childhood RC10 is a Cadillac with a wide front end composite craft graphite chassis and Trinity shock towers. My runner RC10 started out as a team car but now has newer shocks and the RPM worlds front end. They are all just RC10's to me and I still drive the old cars like they were current and easily repairable.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #43
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by asc6000 View Post
misleading title, thats no Team car and wtf with all the motorcycles.
Have fun with your kid.
Actually you're right. I thought it started life as a B stamp Cadillac but that was another car I had. Somehow I still have that B stamp chassis...

The base of this car appears to be a 93ish CE. (Championship Edition) The suspension arms are Andy's and what I thought was a Team Car graphite chassis looks to be an aftermarket part. The only remaining parts from the original CE is the gold anodized front shocks. (still gold on the inside LOL) The truth is I have parts from the very earliest RC10s right up to the mid 90s. What I have here resembles a Team Car more than anything else IMO. But whatever, I just want to get it running again.

Sean
Old 12-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #44
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaner View Post
Dude! Nice 500, that's about a 88? Great era for the big smokers. I had a 87 KX 500 I bought off a ice racer, had a heavy clutch, piped and all that jazz... Was lots of fun but yes, a compete handful in the tight stuff. Shoulda kept that bike as well but honestly I can go anywhere that 500 would with a 250 and it doesn't rattle teeth fillings loose lol Would love to try one of the aluminum framed conversions but I think the 300 kit for the katoom will be just about right.

Did KTM drop the 520 and go with a 500 now? Which I think is based off the 450 platform? I've shied away from the 450s, I've seen too many go up in smoke and the repair bill scares me. I like that I can pull the jug off my bike and put a new slug into the 250 on my lunch break lol

Used to race mx but now when I go to the track and I'm rolling the last triple and 16 year olds are flying over top of me... I got bills to pay yanno? Lol still race hare scramble here in Alberta and at my age now I can't wait to drop a class and sandbag. Lol youth may win on the track but experience wins in the sticks!
86 CR500, arguably the most potent year for the motor. I have an FMF Gnarly on it so it is actually really well mannered in the trails. Power tapers off early and doesn't rev out like it did with the stock pipe. Guys like Jeff Ward and Mike Larocco were just in another league, running these 500cc smokers ON THE PIPE for 30 minutes plus two laps BITD.

KTM's new EXC is called the 500 and it is a new motor design but it still displaces the same 510cc that the 520, 525 and 530 did before it. I spent a few hours on one and it is the best dirtbike I have ever ridden to date. Only the 300 is faster in the woods for me but not being able to plate one is a deal killer for me. The KTM design is very reliable compared to the Japanese four stroke MX bikes.

I know what you mean about MX. I can hang with the kids for maybe 5-10 minutes. Then I can barely hang on. I use MX for training only now.
Going down to Intermediate isn't sandbaging, those guys are one step down from Pro and half my age. Vet Expert is the 40+ guys that used to race pro. I never raced pro but I'm faster than Vet so there are only three classes I can race in. The other being Pro but there I'm just a pylon.

Sean
Old 12-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #45
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
Great looking buggy. I'm in the process of restoring my CE. I think it's great that you want to restore it to the point of being able to run it on the track. After all, that's where all these vehicles belong, on the track!

How's the resto going? Have you zipped it around the track yet?
Here here!

No haven't ran it yet. Xmas suppers and such are taking up most of my time. I've got the shocks apart and all cleaned up but that's it mostly. I think they are too far gone but we'll see. Transmission will be coming apart tonight but then I'm out of town for three days. Hoping to pick up some shocks maybe while I'm out.

Sean