Wiki Posts
Search

Need your input for a new indoor clay track

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 02:57 AM
Tech Champion

Default Need your input for a new indoor clay track

Hello,

a friend wants to open an 1/10 indoor clay track in a new facility in Belgium so I'd like to have your advices. These tracks are quite rare here but I know you have plenty of them in the US so if you can help us a bit I would really appreciate it . We are open to all suggestions/ concerns/ feedbacks..

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2012, 04:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_
Hello,

a friend wants to open an 1/10 indoor clay track in a new facility in Belgium so I'd like to have your advices. These tracks are quite rare here but I know you have plenty of them in the US so if you can help us a bit I would really appreciate it . We are open to all suggestions/ concerns/ feedbacks..

Thanks!
It might help a little more if you could give some info about the facility first. Also how much experience with clay tracks do you have? Are you looking for building/clay mixture advice or advice on running the track it self?
Old 12-24-2012, 04:40 AM
Tech Champion

We have no experience at all, it would be the first in Belgium. That‘s why we need general thoughts first from guys who already did that type of track. What type of clay did you use and why, how do you maintain the track, what precautions did you take when buiding it.. I asked my friend for more technical details to post them here as soon as I have the infos
Old 12-24-2012, 05:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

While the term "clay" track is used frequently, there are many that aren't actually made of clay dirt. The track I go to is packed smooth (we can run slicks when the track is fresh) but it's actually made of triple-sifted topsoil.

More important is to find out what kinds of soils you can source in Belgium (I know there is a lot of sand there, the Cyclocross races..). You want something that is good to work with and that you'll able to get again some years down the road. Personally, I'd prefer to race in a more sandy dirt. That's real off road. It does make for more maintenance and repair but it's also easier to work when building.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Davidka
While the term "clay" track is used frequently, there are many that aren't actually made of clay dirt. The track I go to is packed smooth (we can run slicks when the track is fresh) but it's actually made of triple-sifted topsoil.

More important is to find out what kinds of soils you can source in Belgium (I know there is a lot of sand there, the Cyclocross races..). You want something that is good to work with and that you'll able to get again some years down the road. Personally, I'd prefer to race in a more sandy dirt. That's real off road. It does make for more maintenance and repair but it's also easier to work when building.
He wants to use limed clay so the surface will be hard. The facility is about 30m x 12m with concrete ground, the ceiling is 5m high. So about 500m2 for the track and 100m2 for the stands. It's not big, but we need to deal with it.

An inspiration of track:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_
He wants to use limed clay so the surface will be hard. The facility is about 30m x 12m with concrete ground, the ceiling is 5m high. So about 500m2 for the track and 100m2 for the stands. It's not big, but we need to deal with it.

An inspiration of track:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
So here is some irony for you, that is Trackside Raceway near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, my home track.

It is made of triple sifted topsoil, not clay. It is great dirt to work with because it holds moisture very well and is very easy on tires. It sets up hard (takes a week or so after a track build is done for the jumps to get really firm) but breaks up easily when it's time to rebuild.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Legend

Clay is not any more difficult then top soil to move around because you use a tractor with a tiller to do all the heavy work ...
Use small tiller to break up clay for easy shovel work where ever you need to dig .

Can tell you there will be mass track maintenance if you use top soil.....
Old 12-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Davidka
So here is some irony for you, that is Trackside Raceway near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, my home track.

It is made of triple sifted topsoil, not clay. It is great dirt to work with because it holds moisture very well and is very easy on tires. It sets up hard (takes a week or so after a track build is done for the jumps to get really firm) but breaks up easily when it's time to rebuild.
Now that's funny , this track looks great for its size!
He will probably use limed clay because he has more than needed. I asked him to post here directly but he has some trouble with english so I'm doing the translator