R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   making the xxx-bk a rally car? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/68738-making-xxx-bk-rally-car.html)

RC Noob 04-09-2005 09:12 PM

making the xxx-bk a rally car?

anyone tried this before? i want to make my buggy a rally car...lool....i think the way to do this is to get xxx-mf shock towers and body mounts? will this work? hahah thanks in advance! :)

AE Racer 04-09-2005 09:35 PM

Rally cars are like car chassis and 4wd, I think its the closest its going to get to a rally car as is. I think the front shock tower from the MF will fit, I only say that because the 2 cars use the same front bulkhead. The rear shock tower probably wont fit.

RC Noob 04-09-2005 09:52 PM

yeh i know they are 4wd..but i was just wondering..because at my local track (SoCal Raceway) i saw this japanese guy have a xxx-bk and he turned it into a touring car...it was wack! to me..the xxx-mf and xxx-bk look the same except for the shocktowers, body...and wheels...

SoCalLosiRacer 04-10-2005 02:29 PM

I race there too. I think you're talking about Taka. I'd ask him next time you are there. He actually used to drive that thing in the on road races and beat all the guys running actual TC's.

RC Noob 04-10-2005 05:50 PM

really? wow......yeh thats why i want to make my xxx into a rally car..has he been there lately?

SoCalLosiRacer 04-10-2005 07:05 PM

He normally races most friday nights. Recently he's only been running stock truck on fridays, so it may not have been him, but when he runs buggy he uses a truck body so he should be able to help you with a getting a truck/car type body on your xxx (but maybe it wasn't him you were talking about, as this isn't like a full on rally car, just a truck body). His truck has a yellow VW baja bug body on it, so he's pretty easy to spot if you want to ask him..
Were you there friday? I know Taka was there but I didn't see if he brought his buggy. I know they had some guys running the Yokomo rally car during practice, and it looked pretty cool.
Next time you're there on a friday stop by and say high. I normally pit against the wall on the track side. I've got a blue and white xxx and the other guy I race with has a black and yellow b4.

RC Noob 04-10-2005 09:12 PM

the next time you see him....can u try to remember to ask him how he got the body on there? and post up here or something? or PM me..yah that would be great..thanks!

marvi 04-10-2005 09:59 PM

i have this really old RCCA (aug 1996) that showed how to convert buggies into rally cars. They featured an associated RC10, losi xx, and traxxas TCP.

To mount the bodies, they used RPM front bumpers (with body mounts) and modified it to fit the buggies. im not sure if this item is still available (1996 is a very long time ago :sweat: ) it was originally designed for the RC10 but you may be able to modify it to fit the xxxbk. they used parma rally bodies because they were wide enough to tuck in the wheels under the fenders. im not sure if these are similar to the current 200mm rally bodies by protoform.

i think you can bolt on a set of any sedan front body mounts on to the front and rear shock towers of your xxxbk. line up a body clip hole of the body mount on to a vacant shock mount hole on the shock towers. use a machine screw, locknut, and washers. the front body mounts will be at an angle but i think it may work.

RC Noob 04-11-2005 07:28 AM

yeh maybe i can do that.....lol but another question i have is i know how i'm going to fit touring car wheels and tires on the rear...but how the heck am i going to do that on the front? lol