Wiki Posts
Search

Which 1/8th Scale RTR?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Which 1/8th Scale RTR?

HI guys, I know this gets asked several times but I am just getting into 1/8 nitro off-road and need some opinions/remarks. I was looking at getting the Sportwerks Mayhem RTR, Ofna Hyper 7 PBS RTR, Rd Logics SHO RTR, GS Storm RTR and the Hot Bodies Lightning RTR. I don't know squat about any of these but any help in a decision making would be well appreciated. Please any input would be great whether you know alot or a little. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

well I just recently got the lightning 2rr and the roto start button is stuck on and the one way bearing is already shot..
the motor isn't even broken in yet and everywhere I've looked is out of stock of the bearing.... so I was forced to buy a starter box.. hopefully everything will be much better now.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Sorry to hear about that bearing problem. How does the buggy handle for you when you had it running? Also guys I almost forgot about the Kyosho RTR to add to my list as I hear Kyosho is the Bomb for 1/8 scale buggies as far as what I have read so far.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

I wish I could tell you how it handles, but it hasnt gotten past break in yet.. and I'm waiting on the starter box to arrive..
Old 04-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally posted by 429racer
Sorry to hear about that bearing problem. How does the buggy handle for you when you had it running? Also guys I almost forgot about the Kyosho RTR to add to my list as I hear Kyosho is the Bomb for 1/8 scale buggies as far as what I have read so far.
I wouldn't recommend the MP7.5 Sport because the GX-21 that comes with it runs really hot and may go out on you sooner than expected. I'd pick either the Hyper7 PBs or the Jammin X1.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Hyper Team

I just got a Hyper7 Team car and it is really good. This was the chassis and 8 port .21 race engine. The chassis has all the graphite and cnc parts on it, even the quad brake setup. I am sure the Hyper 7 rtr would be a great choice aswell.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by onnetz
I wish I could tell you how it handles, but it hasnt gotten past break in yet.. and I'm waiting on the starter box to arrive..
That sucks, I feel your pain. Some guys at our track race Hyper 7's and they look pretty good but I was thinking of something different unless I would be down grading away from the Hyper 7.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Have you looked at the xtm exterminators? I used to have one and i can say it was a great bargain for rtr. It handled great to me (but i am no expert) and the 24.7 made pretty good power.They are definately not the best but they are nice and the price is right to get into buggies. Just a thought, good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

it looks like the mahem is a good buggy but a little over priced looks to me it comes with a jr radio too
Old 04-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Tech Adept

personally I really like my hyper pbs rtr because it comes with a good engine and it comes with a starter box. don't get the MP7.5 Sport the engine isn't that great and the tires don't even have foam in them. also the hyper pbs is totally indistructable. i destroyed a mayhem last night when I hit it head on at full speed. he lost the whole front end of his buggy and i didn't have a scrach on my car.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by tg413
Have you looked at the xtm exterminators? I used to have one and i can say it was a great bargain for rtr. It handled great to me (but i am no expert) and the 24.7 made pretty good power.They are definately not the best but they are nice and the price is right to get into buggies. Just a thought, good luck with whatever you choose.
We have one XTM at our track, but the guy is a newb and doesn't make the car look good. I must say that I really like the looks of the Hyper 7 PBS (as far as how it handles) and comes with a starter box. I am just looking at ready to runs as a form as I won't have to steal electronics off my indoor on-raod cars, but I will if necessary so electronics is not a big deal. I like the idea that the Mayhem comes with fairly sufficient electronics and a start shaft. As far as the other cars go I have no info/specs on them (like the electronics and etc).
Old 04-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

If you plan on racing it at all, engine size should be very important to you. Most tracks will let you run a RTR no matter what engine it has in it. But if you change anything at all, even a servo, it's no longer a RTR. I had a Hyper PCR PBS and loved it. It took pretty much everything I threw at it and the only real damage I did was break shock shafts. Have a couple of packs in your parts bin and your good.

The Hyper, or any Ofna, doesn't really come with the greatest of electronics but it's enough to get you going.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well I see the the Jammin X1 come in a ready to run for the same price as the pro version (comparable to the Mayhem), so that is another option. So then in the Ofna category which is better, the Jammin X1CR or the Hyper 7 PBS? That is good to know about the electronics though. Good info!
Old 04-10-2005, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Figure out if you're going to race or not. Then it comes down to the engine. God only knows that you'll upgrade something, so that no longer qualifies as a RTR. The .21 that comes in the Hyper is actually quite a good motor. Not as fast as the other's out there and not quite as much bottom end as some of the others but it's still a pretty strong engine.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Altogether I was looking around for a buggy for around $500 atleast with a pipe, motor and starter. Electronics not a necessity, but I want to make sure that I am not spending extra money on bling options unless it is for enhansing the performance. I don't need a high dollar motor (just one that runs consistent, smooth and is not touchy) because our track is really rough and traction is a little on the (partially clay and top soil) slick side unless watered down (not close to blue groove). Anywhere I can buy these buggies online cheap would also be appreciated too. Anyone also know the difference between the Hyper 7 PBS and PCR? I think so far as far as what I like is the Mayhem, Hyper 7 PBS or PCR, Jammin-X1CR and the lightning rr.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.