Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Need some 8ight 1.0 advice (electric) >

Need some 8ight 1.0 advice (electric)

Need some 8ight 1.0 advice (electric)

Old 12-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Need some 8ight 1.0 advice (electric)

I ended up with a 8ight 1.0 nitro race roller and I have a few questions because I've never messed with 1/8 scale buggies before.

1. Is the Losi electric conversion the only option? It seems pricey at $80

2. I'm thinking about going with a Castle power plant. What would be the better motor, the MM 2200kv or the 2650kv? I'm looking into possibly racing but mostly just running for fun on a local track. I don't want a 100 mph buggy but I do want enuff ass to clear bigger jumps. What would be the best setup for 4S batteries?

3. What gearing should I use for all around use and track use?
Old 12-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII View Post
I ended up with a 8ight 1.0 nitro race roller and I have a few questions because I've never messed with 1/8 scale buggies before.

1. Is the Losi electric conversion the only option? It seems pricey at $80

2. I'm thinking about going with a Castle power plant. What would be the better motor, the MM 2200kv or the 2650kv? I'm looking into possibly racing but mostly just running for fun on a local track. I don't want a 100 mph buggy but I do want enuff ass to clear bigger jumps. What would be the best setup for 4S batteries?

3. What gearing should I use for all around use and track use?
1. It is not the only option, Tekno makes a much better conversion, however I'm pretty sure the Losi conversion is the cheapest. Don't forget you are getting a brand new chassis.

Tekno conv. - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...20-42mm-Motors

2. For racing, you have a lot of options, none of which would include the MM ESC. It is not sensored, has a very weak BEC increasing initial cost to buy an external BEC, however it is durable. Look at the Hobbywing Xerun combo. Cheaper, sensored, and more racing themed over the Castle. However, I have heard of people running the Castle MMP in e-buggy with some success as it is sensored, you will still have the BEC issue though.

HW Combo - http://www.funshobby.com/index.php/p...+SHIPPING.html

3. ~2200kv on 4S you would want to gear around 14/45. That will keep your temps down and give you good overall punch and top speed on most surfaces. Also don't skimp on batteries. Get 40C plus. Gens Ace, Nano-techs, and others have been shown to be affordable and great value.