Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tlr 22 advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tlr 22 advice

I want my 22 buggy to handle different and would love some advice. I race indoors on a clay and i want it to turn tighter at higher speeds. Lots of switch backs. I have good tires but its still pushing when i get on the gas in the middle of a turn. What would you do?
Ride height
Shock position
Shock oil
Weight

Thanks
Links to a setup sheet for a tight clay track would be good
Old 12-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by moto0013
I want my 22 buggy to handle different and would love some advice. I race indoors on a clay and i want it to turn tighter at higher speeds. Lots of switch backs. I have good tires but its still pushing when i get on the gas in the middle of a turn. What would you do?
Ride height
Shock position
Shock oil
Weight

Thanks
Links to a setup sheet for a tight clay track would be good
Sell it and buy a b4.1
Old 12-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

The best advice I can give you is to check this forum out a little and you'll find a forum on the 22 B that should be able to answer all your questions.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I always found that experimenting was easiest for me. And the most fun. I have problems with my b4.1 pushing on all surfaces so don't listen to the guy above me.

If you want more steering I would start with 27.5 oil front and 30 rear. Softer front suspension helps with steering. Alternatively, if you want more rear traction, you make the rear softer. Find a setup sheet from a track with high speed turns and copy their setup.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Check this out to..

http://home.scarlet.be/~be067749/58/
Old 12-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by sunco1
I always found that experimenting was easiest for me. And the most fun. I have problems with my b4.1 pushing on all surfaces so don't listen to the guy above me.

If you want more steering I would start with 27.5 oil front and 30 rear. Softer front suspension helps with steering. Alternatively, if you want more rear traction, you make the rear softer. Find a setup sheet from a track with high speed turns and copy their setup.
@sunco thanks. I guess nextime i will ask for constructive comments since some people always jump with the first negative thing out of their little brain.
Man you hope to reach out to a fun community and get a jerk on the first response. What a way to represent your hobby.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I know you say you have good tires, but you may not have the RIGHT tires. For instance at one of my local tracks I found that on my 22SCT super soft Rattlers pushed like crazy while Clay Rattlers turned and rotated on a dime.

Ask at the track what tires the guys who are making the turns are using.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Don't listen to anything anyone else here has said. I guarantee I have more experience in this hobby than everyone else who has posted here.

What you need to do is start by posting your entire setup. From there I can tell you what setup changes to make. Without knowing your setup I can tell you if you add some limiters inside the front shocks it will limit the amount of weight transfer off the front end, thus yielding more steering on throttle. Making the right adjustment to make the car handle the way you want is like any other skill. Most of the people that are good at knowing what adjustment to make know by experience. If you are smart, like engineer understands physics type smart, you can figure out what adjustment will do what. It is about controlling weight transfer, and tire contact patch.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Suspended

Also check out tlracing.com and petitrc.com. Find a setup that is for a track similar to where you race. Copy the ENTIRE setup. What you need to understand is that every adjustment does something. You have no idea what you are doing, so you need to copy those of us that do. If you stray from a setup on even a single thing, it will change the handling of the car. When you don't have a clue what that change will do, it can throw off the balance of the car. Like your car now.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

1... This question would be best posted in the 22 thread. 2.. a 22 will neever handle like other buggies generally considered more nimble. The 22 will always feel very stable and lazy. The buggy is great on larger highest speed tracks, and not so great on smaller tighter tracks. When I ran the 22, even at its most aggressive setup, always felt like I was driving a limo.... So I changed buggies. If your looking for a fundamental change in how the buggy feels, I don't think your going to find it. YMMV.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:29 AM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford
Don't listen to anything anyone else here has said. I guarantee I have more experience in this hobby than everyone else who has posted here.
What local track do you race at? I'd love to come watch you race just once so I could be amazed

Anyone with any legitimate experience would tell you that setup sheets and other's suggested setups are typically just starting points or suggestions. What other drivers are using may not work for you. Hell, even on our local track, I've found that some setup changes are required as the layout changes, temperature changes, etc. I've raced other guy's trucks that are very fast, but I can barely get them around the track. My SCB is one of the fastest around and I usually do very well with it. I let one of the fast guys race it and he was struggling, claiming it had too much steering for him.

Setups aren't always about the track, sometimes they are about the driver. The best advice is to find a published setup most similar to your class of racing and track conditions. Try it, and tweak from there. A good solid setup isn't something you can hope for in a night of racing. Often, it takes some non-race day practice and a few nights of full on racing to find that sweet spot.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

Tires,tires,tires. Make sure you have the same tire set-up as the ones running a 22 and doing well with them. Ask about foams, rims, etc... Compound and foam differences make a huge difference of hook or no hook as I recently found out. I chased set up on a B4 for a few weeks untill one of the guys at the track gave me some tires to use in a race. WOW! Even though a Jconcepts Barcode V2 looks identical to a Losi BKbar, the compound is different and made the difference.

After the tire change, write down your current setup. Try changing one thing at a time only. Better or worse?, if worse, put it back. Dont get in the habbit of being a copycat set-up kind of person. Half of the fun of this hobby is the adjustments and mods we do to find the golden spot. I just completely started over with my stock buggy shaving over 7.5 ounces off it leaving it right at the ROAR limit. I did this for better power to weight ratio and now I have to start over with finding a set-up that works for"me". As stated above, drivers set-ups are personal likes more than the "what works" theories. Have fun with it and enjoy the chase. If you succeed, then post your results to help out another try a different direction incase what he is doing isn't working.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Deja Vu
What local track do you race at? I'd love to come watch you race just once so I could be amazed

Anyone with any legitimate experience would tell you that setup sheets and other's suggested setups are typically just starting points or suggestions. What other drivers are using may not work for you. Hell, even on our local track, I've found that some setup changes are required as the layout changes, temperature changes, etc. I've raced other guy's trucks that are very fast, but I can barely get them around the track. My SCB is one of the fastest around and I usually do very well with it. I let one of the fast guys race it and he was struggling, claiming it had too much steering for him.

Setups aren't always about the track, sometimes they are about the driver. The best advice is to find a published setup most similar to your class of racing and track conditions. Try it, and tweak from there. A good solid setup isn't something you can hope for in a night of racing. Often, it takes some non-race day practice and a few nights of full on racing to find that sweet spot.
Please enlighten me as to what post prior to mine provides any sort of sound advice.

That may be more of a likelihood than you think. I just moved to Oklahoma. A lot of racers up here travel to many races in neighboring states. If I head your way I will be sure to let you know so you can keep an eye out for me. Just a little note two guys I use to compete with back when I was living in northern California made the quarter finals at the 1/8 scale worlds. Curtis Door and Tyler Vik.
Also one of the locals back where I lived between here and Cali got third in the 4wd a main at the Reedy race. I have never beat him, but I have finished on the same lap. Robbie Gillespie.

Originally Posted by bambambennett
Tires,tires,tires. Make sure you have the same tire set-up as the ones running a 22 and doing well with them. Ask about foams, rims, etc... Compound and foam differences make a huge difference of hook or no hook as I recently found out. I chased set up on a B4 for a few weeks untill one of the guys at the track gave me some tires to use in a race. WOW! Even though a Jconcepts Barcode V2 looks identical to a Losi BKbar, the compound is different and made the difference.

After the tire change, write down your current setup. Try changing one thing at a time only. Better or worse?, if worse, put it back. Dont get in the habbit of being a copycat set-up kind of person. Half of the fun of this hobby is the adjustments and mods we do to find the golden spot. I just completely started over with my stock buggy shaving over 7.5 ounces off it leaving it right at the ROAR limit. I did this for better power to weight ratio and now I have to start over with finding a set-up that works for"me". As stated above, drivers set-ups are personal likes more than the "what works" theories. Have fun with it and enjoy the chase. If you succeed, then post your results to help out another try a different direction incase what he is doing isn't working.
He said he has "good tires" which I figured means that he is running the right combo of tires, compound, and inserts. If by good tires he just meant something other than rtr tires then yes he needs to make sure he is on the same stuff as the fast guys. After that the setup alters the balance of the car. I like to start with the kit setup and make adjustments based on how I want the car to respond. I have been racing for 20+ years and I'm really good at knowing what adjustment I want to make. Like you and I have said, he needs to start with a setup for similar conditions as where he runs and copy it verbatim. Then ask questions as to what change to make based on what his car is now doing. Or he can try different stuff blindly. If he keeps notes this is about the best/only way to learn.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:03 AM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Please enlighten me as to what post prior to mine provides any sort of sound advice.
There was advice given, but that's not what I stated. "Don't listen to anyone here" is a demeaning comment to anyone else who has posted. In some cases, the advice given wasn't wrong. You having "more experience than anyone else here" honestly doesn't affirm your suggestions, and you shouldn't have to. Good advice speaks for itself. There's no need to try to justify any comments with statements like this. Of all the Pro driver's I've met, none of them have this lack of humility and there's no need for it here.

That may be more of a likelihood than you think. I just moved to Oklahoma. A lot of racers up here travel to many races in neighboring states. If I head your way I will be sure to let you know so you can keep an eye out for me.
Please do, you'd love racing here. I haven't met any guys that came up from Oklahoma here yet, but I may have missed someone. There's people from all over the Country here often and we usually try hard to make the out of town racers feel welcome.

Just a little note two guys I use to compete with back when I was living in northern California made the quarter finals at the 1/8 scale worlds. Curtis Door and Tyler Vik.
Also one of the locals back where I lived between here and Cali got third in the 4wd a main at the Reedy race. I have never beat him, but I have finished on the same lap. Robbie Gillespie.
Not bad
Old 12-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah my tires are what the other guys are running. Might try a little different pattern with the same compound. I have driven a 22 with the setup i want , but that guys has not been around. Looking for a great starting setup for a place like ocrc in socal since its like my track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.