R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-12-2005, 07:34 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Been to the local track and asked some racers there. Here's a list from the biggest class to the smallest:

1. Ntiro Stadium Trucks
2. Nitro Monster Trucks including Truggies
3. Nitro 1/8 Buggy
4. Electric Buggy and Trucks - electric is not that popular here.
revzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:30 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Well let me tell ya gas truck is a blast. It's my favorite to race. I love the mechanics of any gas, and you not only have to drive well, but be able to put the truck together good enough to finish.

What trucks were running mostly? I'm guessing either the GT or Losi trucks. If you get the more popular truck of the track, spare parts are easier to come by. Personally I like the GT because it is so reliable yet easy to work on. Really you should drive the both of em and see what ya like, or ask the racers about each of em.

1/8 scale and MT's are quite a bit more expensive initially to get into. You can pick up a GT or Losi gas truck fairly cheap used or new. But the big buggies and trucks both go for alot of money even used if you get the better racer ones. I'd go with a revo for mt, and hyper 7 or K3 for 1/8s. Unless you want brand new. Then the hyper again or 777 or mbx5.

Gas truck is kinda difficult to drive, but alot of it is throttle control. If you were racing onroad gas you should be good there though. And the right tires make a world of difference also. But that goes for any class.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:15 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

I got it down to two choices now-either a 1/8 buggy or 1/10 nitro stadium truck. Is this buggy any good? Click here.

Is it possible that I can use my .21 on road motor with it? I have a hardly used old skool Nova Mega SX 21 Evo 2 that still is ballistic.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:20 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by revzalot
I got it down to two choices now-either a 1/8 buggy or 1/10 nitro stadium truck. Is this buggy any good? Click here.

Is it possible that I can use my .21 on road motor with it? I have a hardly used old skool Nova Mega SX 21 Evo 2 that still is ballistic.
That's based off the Ultra LX I believe...if so, then no. I have a friend that owns an Ultra LX and that thing is too heavy. Better suited as a show-off car than a racer. I drove it and it felt heavy and has a lot of body roll compared to my Kyosho.

You can probably use your .21 on-road on the buggy, but if you want to win, I'd go for something else. Even though it works, the engine may not have enough low-end power to keep you competitive especially if the track does not have a lot of straigtaways.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:24 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Now this one is a Hyper 7. Click Here.

There must be way to modify my onroad to get more low end grunt. How about adjusting the clutch engagement and tranny?
Old 04-12-2005, 11:31 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Now this one is a Hyper 7. Click Here.

There must be way to modify my onroad to get more low end grunt. How about adjusting the clutch engagement and tranny?
The Hyper7 is a decent buggy. Not sure about the basic TQ kit, but the PBS/PCR versions are quite good. If you want to try to get more low end power, get a tuned pipe that is for low-end. This will not increase power, but rather move your engine's powerband lower so you get to it quicker. Having a good 3 piece clutch will help out throttle response too.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:31 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'd definately go for the hyper 7. They are good race machines, can share some parts with the K3's. You can find a TON of parts including motors on ebay for cheap. You can get hyper .21 motors on there brand new for 100 bux, and the 8 ports for like 150. And you can rebuild them for like 30 bux off ebay parts.

That said there's nothing wrong with running the mill you got. Does it have the pilot shaft? If not you can probably use the clutch nut from duratrax for the torq .21 Run the motor for awhile, and see how you like it. Also forgot to mention the
os .21rg you can get that brand new for 110 bux at tower. But run your old one, that way you don't have to spend an arm and a leg right off the bat.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:38 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Thanks again. I don't mind assembling the Hyper 7 and looks like there's tons of parts and hop ups for it. What would you guys suggest on getting spare parts or bang for the buck hop ups for this Hyper 7 tq sport? Please remember this is going to be my race buggy so it has to be competitive.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:44 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks again. I don't mind assembling the Hyper 7 and looks like there's tons of parts and hop ups for it. What would you guys suggest on getting spare parts or bang for the buck hop ups for this Hyper 7 tq sport? Please remember this is going to be my race buggy so it has to be competitive.
A lot of people around my town runs the Hyper7, and they seem pretty durable. I've seen some really nasty crashes, but they hold together well. I'd probably try to get chassis parts from the standard/PBS/PCR versions, mostly the graphite/Carbon fiber/Aluminum replacements. I'm sure that Sport kit has lots of ABS plastic, so you can probably lightening it up some more.