R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-14-2005, 02:48 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ_Normal
That stupid EZ start system AGAIN!? If Traxxas wants to be serious about racing this thing they need to start ditching these newb features and selling kits.
IS the EZ-Start system really that bad? I don't think it has much parastic drivetrain loss to become a negative factor.

Dyer_13, thanks for the scannings. I think I may pick this truck up when it comes out.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:43 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Outta that whole thing what I noticed was the ez start too. lol
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:17 PM   #33
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

What you guys forget is us racers make up less than 10% of the people that have RC's,So their's more of "them" than us,If you want to sell a truck,make it for the bashers.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:48 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think Traxxas will determine to make a racer kit if this gets popular enough. You guys think it has potential?
revzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 06:39 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxkat
What you guys forget is us racers make up less than 10% of the people that have RC's,So their's more of "them" than us,If you want to sell a truck,make it for the bashers.
You're correct. But I don't think it's fair to the newbs that are going to buy it thinking it's an awesome race machine, then find out the thing won't even be legal without a bunch of changes. They'd let ya run it around here, but when it comes to points races they'd make ya change it or sit out.

Traxxas may have started and then redefined the monster class, but they'll have a long road uphill if they are going to try and make AE and Losi follow them in flouting the rules in gas truck.

Revz- can't really say if it has potential or not. Looks good, but have to see it on the track in race form with correct motor, tires, and no two speed. Looks good though, and I like the mud guards.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:15 PM   #36
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Traxxas is going to put out a one speed kit for the tranny and a few other "race" mods,If you guys want to get down to it Losi and Associated's best selling trucks come with .15's and i cant think of any track owners who have so many racers that they would tell anyone "you cant race" because you have a sport .15.. My first "race" truck was a Losi RTR with a .15 and they let me race it(i think it was really more like crash it..)Hey if this truck brings people to race thats great!!If you look at how this truck is built you would not under estimate this truck,come on guys it has 3.5mm shock shafts,no c clips,cool mud guards,gear diff that is sealed so you can use sillcone fluid,what i thought was cool is it has 2 different places that you can put your reciever pack.the fuel tank is in the center of the chassis and is a low profile tank and it has a handle.But like most RTR's to race at bigger Roar races you change the motor.. What just blows me away is how many guys look at the things they think is a negative when in fact Traxxas has just taken the Stadium Truck to the next level.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:24 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Ya, you make good points. I don't know about bringing stadiums to a new level, but it'll be interesting. I know at least one guy who's gonna get one and race it so that'll be cool. The diff is the coolest thing about the truck I think. Would be nice to have a fluid filled one. Shocks and eclips have never given me a problem. And big bore shocks and shafts do nothing for me. Any shock will work good if you maintain it. When I first saw the shocks on the LST all I could think about was how much oil you'd go through evertime you changed it.

*I'm not bashing the truck. All my posts but maybe one is postive and hoping the truck does good things. It's all good with me I don't care who or what I race with.

Last edited by jbrow1; 04-14-2005 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:49 PM   #38
Tech Addict

No problem for the pics.....
I think I might get one after it comes out for a while and maybe the price will go down a little.....
My local track lets people race stock .15's or if you have a Duratrax, the stock .18
Dyer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 07:10 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to T-BirdJunkie Send a message via MSN to T-BirdJunkie

One thing I dig about it is the Losi style brake. Way easier to swap pads on an XXXNT than on my RC10GT (my Drake 2 will be here next Friday, and I don't think they make a smiley that can show enough elation for that)
Also, as to the "dated" bit about the GT, theyr'e still running extremely competitively even at the factory levels, so dated or not, it's just like the argument about pushrod engines in cars-the C5R wipes the floor with the pansy little foreign OHC cars, and the C6R will do the same. Dated isn't necessarily bad.
oh, and when i first saw this thread, i was thinking it was about a Lamborghini, LOL. (Jota, get it? geesh, tough crowd)
And as far as horsepower in a 2wd ST goes, there IS such a thing as overpowered. my .12 CV-R will keep up with the best high dollar mills on any straight on any 1/10 scale track.

and the problem with the EZ start isn't parasitic drag on the engine, it's the half pound of dead weight, and in my experiance, the EZ start doesn't even work 9 times outta 10 anyhow.
*EDIT*
I do think the Jato looks like a competitive chassis, and it sure as hell doesn't look that heavy IMO. I hope it does well, and I might buy one if they offer a kit. Course, I said that about the Revo back when it came out, and we know how close we are to that.
Oh well, I guess the Stampede I bought almost a decade ago will be the last Traxxas kit I ever bought.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:54 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If Traxxas puts out the Jato in race kit form, I'll definately buy one. I really don't like the excess RTR stuff.
revzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 10:41 PM   #41
Tech Elite

I hate the POS radio Traxxas puts in all their RTR's.
I'd buy a Revo kit if it came sans engine-I hate the TRX 2.5 too.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:27 AM   #42
Tech Addict

THANK YOU!!! Finally someone agrees with me....
Dyer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 07:50 PM   #43
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just like how traxxas pitches this truck as a machine that is redifining stadium trucks. If they mean by making everything illegal for sanctioned racing they did a good job. Its a scaled down MT. But like said for a basher...its the ultimate 1/10 scale machine. But the best point made is that bashers are the ones who potentially become the racers so why entice them with a super cool truck only to get there and realize that their truck is nothing like the others, and really isnt fair to them. I think there is no real chance of this becoming a "racer" version. It would take too much. You would have to make the chassis smaller by taking of the gaurds, then you run out of room for the compents. You have to mass produce kits with and without two-speeds, TRX's, oversized shocks, and arent the tires bigger too? They would have to almost redesign a lot of the main components of the car.
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 08:48 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Yes, but do they not make 3 different versions of the T-maxx?
Old 04-18-2005, 05:20 AM   #45
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

True, but the differnce is a "sport" or cheaper version, and electric version, and the TRX. We are talking about changing the whole Jato to make it race legal and be able to compete. You would have to manufacture, another .12 motor, which I dont think htey have ever done. Manufacture a new tranny, new shocks, and a chassis that fit everything on it on a standard size chassis.
runnin rc10 is offline   Reply With Quote