Search
Like Tree2Likes

Mip or hudy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford
MIP no longer regrinds the tips on their Thorpe hex drivers. Now, their hex drivers are very high quality, but they also cost quite alot for a wrench that doesn't have the ability to replace the tip. I switched to MIP Thorpe hex drivers about 5 years ago. My 2mm is the wrench that gets more use than any other tool I have. After 5 years of wrenching with it almost every single day the tip has finally started to show some wear. I was going to send it in to have it reground, but they don't do that anymore. Per the recommendations of MIP I ground a bit off the end of the tip to get rid of the rounded corners. The wrench now seems to work nearly as well as when it was new, but I'm still not really happy. I will probably just get a new 2mm from MIP as the rest of my wrenches are MIP and still in perfect shape. If I were to get all new wrenches I would go with the red aluminum handled ones from Dynamite. They have a tip which is on par with MIP, but it is replaceable.

Don't fall for the hudy hype. Their sockets are nice as are their handles, but the allen tips are garbage. If the dynamites were longer they would be the ultimate wrench outlasting the hudy by far. Mip is a great wrench I'm just not a fan of the handle shape. I have the old hudy proFit handles with dynamite tips and love them. Silver tips seem to be better than the gold or black.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

For the most used size (2.0 and 3/32) I prefer the old school plastic handles on the MIP. Maybe because they match my 20 year old Thorps which still look new. They simply give me more ability to feel the tool and hold it firmly. Hudy's along with a lot of the aluminum handled ones simply don't feel the same. Also there is a fat metal part that you can spin in your fingers for speedy screwing. I prefer to use manual tools over a powerdriver and MIP handles are simply easier and faster for me. I do use some alu handle tools on setscrews and pinions. Totally not too worried about breaking or damaging a tip as that would only happen through misuse of the tool. Iv'e never had a tip problem on a MIP/Thorp tool, in the meantime I've snapped a couple tips off of brand new tools.
Either one is good quality overall and the initial cost is of no concern, a good tool pays off for a lifetime.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

MIP hands down, they last forever!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As odd as it sounds I prefer the intigy ones with replaceable tips over hudy, they seem to hold up just as well and the handle surface is much easier on the hands.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

MIP for performance hudy for looks..... Have both prefer the MIP.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kman16jr
I agree i have replace 2 sets of tips in the red handled dynamite wrenches,no more cheap tools for me.
dynamite is fine for hand driven ones. The power tips wear out too fast. The MIP is made outa nasa stuff never wears out.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
No.. they aren't.
Agreed.. I lost my 1/16 and bought one of these and its about 90% the wrench the MIP is.

I have a full set of MIP's that are 14yrs old and still going strong. Anyone that uses them at the track wants them after. I don't use them to pry or bang on things. I bought a new 1/16 this year and it looks a bit different but fits real well.

Never had Hudy tools. But their other stuff is real nice!

I would say buy one of each for your most used sizes then figure out which set you want.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jsinclair
As odd as it sounds I prefer the intigy ones.
Integy literally make the worst tools on the planet. I can't tell you how many I have seen people snap on seemingly moderate tasks for a hex driver. You literally couldn't pay ME money, to use integy tools.
Jcharger13 likes this.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

MIP !
Old 11-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've never had a problem with an MIP tool, ever. I've had tools for well over a decade. Hudy makes good stuff also.

This comes down to personal preference.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Aoh
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by spunkysandoval
MIP hands down the best and longest lasting drivers on the market
YUP

hudy look pretty, and sure the tips are replaceable, but you wont have that problem because you wont break the tip on the MIP!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Tech Initiate

I've been using Team Losi hex wrenches (not 8in1) for more than 2 years daily. Never had one that stripped and/or broken. They're just as good (if not better) than MIP and/or Hudy (which is ridiculously overpriced anyway).
Old 11-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Add another tick for MIP from me.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Never used a Hudy, I have MIP and I can't imagine anything being better. I know guys that have MIP wrenches that are over 25 years old. Maybe the Hudys are good but the MIP's perform. Too bad MIP doesn't make nutdrivers, I would buy a set to match in a heartbeat.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

+1 MIP. Not flashy, but all business.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.