Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Servo savers on 1/8 off-road cars ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Servo savers on 1/8 off-road cars ?

Hi,

Because I'm an Associated fan, particuraly RC8 line, I know how my servo saver is mounted. Because I'm french, I took a look on a french forum last week and I saw the Eight 2.0 servo saver on a french Agama brushless prototype :

I have seen many manuals and pictures about many 1/8 Off-road, and I must recognise I had never seen the servo savers really in details.

Let's have a look at this one, on the last MBX7, but the MBK6 has the same system :

The part on wich the ackerman plate is fixed, is splited compare to the Associated RC8 servo saver. Of course I think that the Associated is the best because the Ackerman plate doesn't move when you have an impact on a wheel.
How the manufacturers like Losi, Mugen and maybe other ones, can use the ackerman plate fixed like this ? I have never test the servo saver on other brands, because it's not a thing we check at first when we take a look at the other buggys in the pits, I think ... then I don't know how it feels when you "simulate an impact" by turning the wheels and retaining the servo horn, with a system like this ?!

Can you tell me if the ackerman plate is folded during a test like this, then during an impact ? I don't understand why not going like with Associated servo saver ?
Thanks,
Bye !

(Excuse me for my poor english, hope you will understand).
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...version-5.html
Old 12-04-2012, 01:40 AM
ekt
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Most buggys use the same servo saver system that Associated use, though the ackerman setup varies between different buggys.
Below is the Losi compared to the Associated.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I really dont understandwhat your asking. All 1/8 offroad servo savers are pretty much the same. Theyre all just a spring tension cam.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ekt
Most buggys use the same servo saver system that Associated use, though the ackerman setup varies between different buggys.
Below is the Losi compared to the Associated.
Hi,
Thanks for posting this, it's a better view to compare.
Don't you see the "problem" ?
Associated : the part, on wich ackerman plate is fixed(servo saver arm), just rotate. Because it's the part wich is placed below(servo saver bellcrank), who move from up to down, by compressing the spring.
With Losi... the ackerman plate is fixed to the part wich is going to rotate and to move up and down by compressing the spring !
Hope you will understand what I'm talking about...
Bye !

Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I can see how both of those systems would bind because the part that moves against the spring changes height on the SS side but not on the other side.

There have been servo savers in the past where the opposite side (top?) moves so that ackerman height is not changed as the servo saver cycles. These don't appear to be that way.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Davidka
I can see how both of those systems would bind because the part that moves against the spring changes height on the SS side but not on the other side.

There have been servo savers in the past where the opposite side (top?) moves so that ackerman height is not changed as the servo saver cycles. These don't appear to be that way.
Hi,
I'm sorry, I can't explain you better because my english is poor, but I can tell you that there's a difference between the 2 systems !

Bye !
Old 12-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

He's saying that on the AE, when the servo saver gives, the ackerman bar doesn't change left to right as the arm the servo attaches to slides down instead. On the other cars, when the servo saver gives, the arm the ackerman plate is attached to slides down causing changes in bump steering if the servo saver gives a little.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by KOULLIT
Hi,
Thanks for posting this, it's a better view to compare.
Don't you see the "problem" ?
Associated : the part, on wich ackerman plate is fixed(servo saver arm), just rotate. Because it's the part wich is placed below(servo saver bellcrank), who move from up to down, by compressing the spring.
With Losi... the ackerman plate is fixed to the part wich is going to rotate and to move up and down by compressing the spring !
Hope you will understand what I'm talking about...
Bye !

I get what you're saying. That when a servo saver absorbs shock, in some cars it can also effect steering geometry. That's true.

But it deosn't matter. The servo saver should do absolutely nothing and absorb absolutley nothing 99% of the time. Its only supposed to do anything on hard crashes or if you collide with a pipe.

So whether or not the servo saver effects geometry is a non-issue, because the bigger problem is: Why is the servo saver doing anything at all? Crashing, too loose setting, binding in the steering etc. etc.

I use a stiff servo saver setting in all my cars. (Hitec 7955, 7950 servos) I have noticed that some European cars (Xray) have a servo saver setting recorded on thier setup sheets. And that some of those drivers (Xray/Mugen) do sometimes switch from stock settings to stiff and back again. I do not. That setting should be set right and forgot about, IMO, it deosn't make sense to use it as a tuning aid unless your desperate. It's just a bandaid for something else that needs tuned IMO.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Maybe he asks this question to get some klicks on his belt driven 1/8 buggy projekt?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Krio
He's saying that on the AE, when the servo saver gives, the ackerman bar doesn't change left to right as the arm the servo attaches to slides down instead. On the other cars, when the servo saver gives, the arm the ackerman plate is attached to slides down causing changes in bump steering if the servo saver gives a little.
Hi,
That's approximatly what I want to say. But It's not for a problem of causing changes in bump steering, but because the ackerman plate is not "in line".
I think there's a "problem" (it's not really a problem because it works, but...) with the left servo saver post and the ackerman plate fixation.
When the right servo saver slides down, the ackerman plate seems to bend, because it slides down too.
I'm not writing with my computer actually, because it's out, then I haven't my 3d soft, not my Filezilla, not my ton of RC cars manuals.
I will install Filezilla on this PC, then will upload a draw. And, yes I'm looking at the other servo savers for my prototype, but actually, as I said, I haven't my computer, then I can't work on this project.
Bye !
Old 12-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Tech Champion

I like the Xray steering setup the best. It's got geometry as good as the Losi, but uses a more normal linkage and ackerman bar.

That's the one I'd copy. And I'd also make sure the inner tie rod end is in line with the inner arm hinge pin.

Mugens, and older AE's, have a wider setup and a bit of bumpsteer with it.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Tech Prophet

Heres my idea why dont Losi and Associated get on there game and finally make the saver adjust knob on the top not the bottom !!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Heres my idea why dont Losi and Associated get on there game and finally make the saver adjust knob on the top not the bottom !!
Because it's easier to set with the nut on the bottom.

Needlenose vise grip on nut. Turn wheels. Remove grips. Turn wheels. Apply grips. Turn wheels. Repeat.

Easiest if another racer turns the wheels while you grip and release.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Because it's easier to set with the nut on the bottom.

Needlenose vise grip on nut. Turn wheels. Remove grips. Turn wheels. Apply grips. Turn wheels. Repeat.

Easiest if another racer turns the wheels while you grip and release.

I dont think its easy when you have to take off the mud guards and at times the RX box to get to it and get a good grip on the adjust knob. With it at the top theres no need for that.

I get what your saying though with it on the bottom to have a starting setting to measure . Never thought about a other racer holding the wheels to do that good idea.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Really it doesn't matter. Set the servo saver to what the manual suggests, use locktite so it doesn't loosen, check it from time to time. That's it. So what if the ackerman plate gets slightly out of line during servo saver deflection? It should happen so infrequently that it is a non issue. If you are crashing so much that you are worried about this, you have way more important things to worry about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.