Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Save your local hobby shop? >

Save your local hobby shop?

Save your local hobby shop?

Old 11-26-2012, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have two locally family run hobby shops, and a hobby people
i just had a bad experience with the hobby people.
I have had the same issue 3 times with there lipo battery. the first two time i didn't think much of it, but the third time, I took the pack in to one of the employees there, and he said " We can't help you, just buy a new one kid" i responded "Really??? no help or love for the local club racer". i got a blank face for an answer. I walked out, and went home. I disected the lipo, and confirmed the same Exact dam problem!
and, its not my dam fault!!!, the first time it was, but i learned from it, and adjusted made sure I wouldn't screw up again.
I'm 16, club racer mowing lawns, cutting bushes, washing cars, but I am not going to waste 2 weeks of my time and money on another POS lipo battery form my local hobby shop.
If they want to bite the hand thats feeding them, fine so be it. that hand is not coming back with any kibble and bits anymore.

I am not going to throw a Grant or Benjamin into a single lipo battery just because they are local. Now I have 3 Gens Ace lipos coming in for the same price of keeping the local hobby shop in business and one lipo.
sorry, but I can't justify keeping them in business when they can't keep me in my passion.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JPKinsella View Post
You can come work for me if you want.. If your qualified???
First car was a Futaba FX-10 purchasd in 1991.

I'd like $82k a year to start
Old 11-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sarinexia View Post
First car was a Futaba FX-10 purchasd in 1991.

I'd like $82k a year to start
82K on a 1099, what no medical, dental, vison, 401k, or pension.. Your hired!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JPKinsella View Post
82K on a 1099, what no medical, dental, vison, 401k, or pension.. Your hired!
Haha. Sounds good. I'm a veteran as well so I have the health insurance and pension worked out

I'd like to work from home please!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Man, I appreciate my LHS even more after reading some of this. I always try to get ppl to support them rather than save 5 bucks online on a pile of parts. If the shop goes under...the track goes with it We have a main shop and another at the track. I would venture to say they will have what 9 out of 10 ppl need there for nitro, electric, planes or helis and stock parts to alum hop-ups for bashers and racers. If you order before noon, you will usually have it by 1 the next day. You can call ahead and have parts delivered to the track to save you a trip too. The staff (few in particular) know just about everything for every model out there.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I bought my first RC since the early 90s from my local shop for my kids, 4 cars later, I got one. My LHS gave the expert advice and support to make the hobby fun and helped get our family into the race addiction. The prices were higher than online, but I'm not nieve, I know I am paying for service and support. So after dropping a metric sh()t ton of money over the year I get some serious discounts, and my prices are lower than the internet and normally I get stuff faster since they get regular shipments. In the end, if I added it up, I probably paid about the same as big box, but you know what, I made some great friends, I race with some of them, and they've taught me how to solder, maintain vehicles, etc. All of that would never had happened without the brick and motor store. Do I buy stuff online, sure, but it normally involves brands they don't offer or use of some crazy coupon that they could never match.

I'm lucky that here in San DIego, we have some great stores and two great tracks to drive them at.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It is all about customer service and support! My LHS does that and More. Plus they have a great track and currently building a dirt oval outside. Sometimes you do pay a little more but it is worth the effort and the extra money to keep your track open. Plus someone there to answer questions when you might have them.

My LHS will always order stuff you need and will have what you need in with in a few days. Like I just ordered a Losi 8T (truggy) from my LHS. They have the same price as the sale at Amain and other places. Yes I had to pay tax, but no shipping.

If my LHS had bad customer service and no track then they normaly do not stay in operation all that long. A couple of the chain hobby stores are really bad, good luck trying to get Hobby town to order something for you.

Andrew
Old 01-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

One of my local hobby shop post their calendar on line. During 2/2 to 2/17. They only open for two days. So you tell me how to support them better?
Old 01-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by xxx123 View Post
One of my local hobby shop post their calendar on line. During 2/2 to 2/17. They only open for two days. So you tell me how to support them better?

Only open two days

Yea i agree how can you support them.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Tech Prophet

[QUOTE=lstmysock11;11724234]It is all about customer service and support! My LHS does that and More. Plus they have a great track and currently building a dirt oval outside. Sometimes you do pay a little more but it is worth the effort and the extra money to keep your track open. Plus someone there to answer questions when you might have them.

My LHS will always order stuff you need and will have what you need in with in a few days. Like I just ordered a Losi 8T (truggy) from my LHS. They have the same price as the sale at Amain and other places. Yes I had to pay tax, but no shipping.

If my LHS had bad customer service and no track then they normaly do not stay in operation all that long. A couple of the chain hobby stores are really bad, good luck trying to get Hobby town to order something for you.

Andrew Quote.

Thats cool you have a LHS like that but there a lot of them that are not as good. My LHS does have a indoor offroad carpet track which for sure i love and im glad of that . However a lot of times they dont have what i need and yes i can order it but i never really know when it will come . So i only have the choice of getting something that i need that they have in stock. The prices are good a few dollars more than say Tower Hobbies/Horizon .

But there il say there service and the people will work there are racers and are nice and helpfull. As for Hobbytown USA i had one in Maryland where i used to live a long time ago and the workers there where douchebags and the owner. They closed last year which im not shocked by it.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:12 PM
Tech Adept

If your local hobby shop is staffed with a bunch of scum bags there is not much you can do but not support them and not go there. They tend not to last very long. More so the ones that will sell crap and then when your upset that the LIPO charger takes 12 hours to charge one battery, they then sell you the better one that can do it in under a hour.

Mean while they do not even think if they treat someone nice and try to help and educate they might get a customer for life instead of someone who will make a few buys and never return.

My local hobby shop helped me break in my first nitro motor and tune it. I had no clue how or anything like that. Also seen them help someone fix and put back together there traxxas truck and not charge them a dime, well other then parts.

Andrew
Old 01-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The LHS needs to remember it is not my job to keep them in business. They need to do things to attract me to spend my money there vs online. If you have higher prices what do I get for those higher prices? A track? knowledgeable staff? The parts I need in stock ready to go home? Anyone can open a store put some products on the shelf and say shop here I am local. Sorry that is not going to work. As a shop if you are noticing customers shopping elsewhere you as a shop need to change something to bring those customers to you. Stores need to stop playing the I am local card, that is not a reason to shop at your store. If you think it is you might want to start looking at the help wanted section of the paper because your store will not be open long.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The only LHS I want to visit is around a half hour+ drive away. It's a HobbyTown USA. The staff are friendly, they carry a lot of stuff, and the markup isn't bad.

The other, closer shops are either A: Staffed by people who don't care and/or B: Don't carry a particularly useful inventory. I support that HobbyTown. Not the other two.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CR0SS View Post
The LHS needs to remember it is not my job to keep them in business. They need to do things to attract me to spend my money there vs online. If you have higher prices what do I get for those higher prices? A track? knowledgeable staff? The parts I need in stock ready to go home? Anyone can open a store put some products on the shelf and say shop here I am local. Sorry that is not going to work. As a shop if you are noticing customers shopping elsewhere you as a shop need to change something to bring those customers to you. Stores need to stop playing the I am local card, that is not a reason to shop at your store. If you think it is you might want to start looking at the help wanted section of the paper because your store will not be open long.
Exactly, I completely agree.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CR0SS View Post
Your right, If they do stuff like this and have a track we need to support them. The places that do not care or help do not need our support. If my nearest Hobby store or even the one I go to was not good I would buy online.

I do pay a little more, but if I have a question or need help they help. On my first Nitro buggy the owner helped me fix the Clutch so the springs where installed the right way. Did he have to do that, NO. Guess what he did not charge me a dime. But guess what if I can I will buy from him again and again.

Andrew