Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Save your local hobby shop? >

Save your local hobby shop?

Save your local hobby shop?

Old 11-26-2012, 03:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Or how about the LHS owner who runs a great shop, a good track, then gets greedy and decides to move operations a half hour away to a facility 4 times the size with big dreams of 2 indoor tracks, 2 outdoor tracks, 2 levels of retail mdse and then fails to launch it because he ran out of funds to complete it. I was out of r/c and racing for almost 8 years after that. R/C kinds sucks by yourself. But this was before the internet. Now even if there were NO tracks you can still find a group for a gtg race. I wonder if my LHS had great deals for black friday like the internet shops? You would have thought they might have sent me an email or something being that i've shopped there many times. But no, they can't take 2 seconds to ask for your email or home address to promote sales for themselves. Screw 'em!!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:22 AM
Tech Master

recently I bought a few parts at our local hobby shop. and at the same time I bought the same parts online overseas.

the parts that I bought at our local hobbyshop, are still not deleverd to me ( 4 weeks now )
the same parts I bought at the same date online overseas where deleverd within 2 weeks.

long live the online hobby shop !!!!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

After working at 2 hobby shops for 8 years while in highschool and college, and racing before during and after that, I have seen alot. In order for a LHS to survive, it cannot cater ro racers. I realize that the southwest may be different due to population desity and that being the hub if RC in the U.S.. I am speaking for particulary the south east and porobaly the rest of the country. Racers are very precise. We want an exact part. A LHS cant just carry 5 sets of aluminum hubs for a 22 or Mugen or whatever. Thise should be special order parts. Which the shops I worked at did. But we did carry all the consumables; diff gears, arms, shock towers, tires, ect. We also did things like plastic models, trains, and nin-nacs. Thats how you survive.

Also knowledgable staff is a must have. I had dozens of basher customers that I helped on a daily basis. I broke in nitro motors, re-built trannys, replaced arms, and told customers about alternative parts that would fit if we were out of the part they needed.

I walked into my LHS were I now live for a 5x8 bearing and the guy behind the counter and what brand and part #. Thats rediculous. It doesnt matter. He shouldnt need a computer to tell him where a part is. Genearic parts like bearing should be a no brainer. I dont think the LHS has ever been by the local track. If he had he would have stuff other than Traxxas hanging on his wall B/C in fact i NEVER even see a traxxas at the rack. There are alot of Losi's and AE's but he has zero parts for them. His parts arer also all behind a counter that an employee has to get. I like peruzing through them. Yes this increases the likelyhood of theft, but it also increases impulse purchases.

When customer service online is better in store, thats when you fail. prices come second (unless the LHS is insainly high). Brick and motar stores have to figure out how to compete. If they cant they die.

I will support my LHS when they support me.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Since moving to MI I found my local hobby shops to be very clickish which is somewhat hard to get over or work yourself into. The two closest to my house had made the decision to focus on bashers and has very little for me. While another one 35min from my house seems to do a good job working with racers and bashers and will stock everything losi and does a best effort for the other stuff out there.

I even tried ordering from the two local ones but as they only place orders when they have a certain amount of stuff I found they were not fast enough to meet my needs and they would make me do all the work to find part #'s, etc. I'm doing all the work why do I need them to charge me more? Anyway I gave up on them. If I'm racing at the other shop further away I'll buy any parts I need there otherwise everything is mail order as I see very little value in the stores in my area.

As a guy that spends $50-75 a week in parts I know I'm not a huge customer but I would not think that's the kind of person you would care to alienate but they don't seem to care?
Old 11-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I've been lucky enough to have a LHS/indoor track that is owned by a competitive RC heli pilot and managed by a 20+ yr RC racing vet. I can go into the shop anyday and see just about every highend rc kit (losi, AE, kyosho, serpent,hotbodies, JQ, etc..) from 10th to 8th scale on display and walls full of spare parts for those kits. 90% of time if I need to buy parts it is cheaper to purchases locally instead of online. I rarely purchase from any of the big 3 online RC Retailers.

www.facebook.com/dirtburnerracing
Old 11-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hlb14 View Post
There use to be a great race shop that operated in the area. They stocked everything for the cars people raced, not just traxxas. They were in touch with the racer as they were racers themselves. Thats why I think they were successful.

Now the only shop in the area stocks pretty much nothing but traxxas. Yes he carrys some tires, bodies and paint, but I couldn't walk into the shop and buy everything I needed to build and race a competative car.
How do you measure success if they are no longer in the area?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Houston... the 4th largest city in the country, how many LHS stock even front a-arms for an associated b4.1 or t4.1? NONE. they can all order it but it would require me to drive 45 minutes to order and pay, then 45 minutes again to pick it up. i even told the one closest to me that i have people weekly ask me about RC cars and what i have becasue they want one just like it... i have to point them to an online place or tell them to call Mike's in Carrollton TX about 5 hours away and they can order it and ship it. all anyone carries around here are traxxas and a few 1/8 scale parts. most people can't afford an 1/8 scale but would purchase 1/10 scale if anyone carried it. I hoping the newest track about 45 minutes away will start carrying 1/10 scale but i haven't seen it yet.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sarinexia View Post
First ill give this an LOL!

Second - ill donate a tear to the cause. IDGAF about the owner's profits... If he can't make a profit at Internet prices, well, the owner cannot compete can he? And what happens when you can't compete? You SHUT DOWN! Unless of course your name is GM and you're too big to fail, but lets save that for another day....

And what's this about having to pay 20% inflated prices and being happy about it so we can race locally? Know what racers do when the LHS can't and won't compete for their business? They race elsewhere. And not necessarily LHS's either. Tracks built with bulldozers, backhoes, etc... Right on their own property. Dricer's stands erected and a free invite.

Racers and racing will survive with or without the LHS... So please for the sake of our sanity, drop the old, "buy local to keep open your local track" non-sense.

Oh, and these owners opened these businesses knowing full well the risks involved. It is NOT ON THE RACER, BASHER, OR SHELF QUEENS TO MITIGATE THEIR RISK BY AGREEING TO INFLATED PRICING! That's ludicrous........
Wow.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Harry Sachs View Post
Wow.
Glad I could impress. Common sense sometimes has a way of doin that
Old 11-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JPKinsella View Post
Your the reason why the Country is in trouble, Move to China where all your money is going and our jobs are retard...Most All of the tracks in my area are hobby shops first then tracks a couple of the have been around 25years+ and have some of the best race programs in the Nation. Without the Traxxas's of the industry where people get into the hobby cheap very little of the tracks would survive. More people spend money at the shops the less they will charge the more parts on the wall better facillity to race at. Buy the way all my local rc shops will match online deals or beat them if they are not already...Just ask, the stuff all comes from the same wholeseller anyway. And I am not saying all shop owners (employees) are good either some are awful just the way it works out sometimes.
Actually, this country is why the country is in trouble. Don't go blaming this guy for the failure of LHS's just because he finds way better prices online. This is basic economics. The consumer will gravitate towards better prices between retailers of the same exact product.

The real problem is the people standing there with hands extended waiting for their daily bread. Instead of LHS's changing the way they do business they bitch and moan over the consumer's spending habits and how the distributors are always sticking it to them. God forbid LHS owners roll up their sleeves and get to work in MAKING their business work. Instead, lets blame the consumer for buying from China.

This is what's wrong with the country. This type of thinking.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Tech Rookie

I agree that bad shops need to be ran out of business. Or at the very least ignored. But, what about the exceptions that do a great job day in day out they shouldn't be all grouped together. I live in northeastern Ohio and go to a great shop in Austintown they always go out of their way to provide great service and pricing to their customers. So when we call out those that come up short also remember that there are a lot of shops out there to do a great job supporting the hobby and do all they can to see to it that weather basher or racer have a great experience.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by thecman26 View Post
That's funny right there! I don't care who ya are!

It is funny but true!
Haha, lots of funny posts. I go thru one... And find another worth commenting on LOL!

Funny but true. You agree with "if you can't afford RC then go back to school and get a better job." That's hallarious. How about this spin on it....

If you buy smartly, you get more bang for your buck. Are you not going to negotiate the price of a new car because you don't mind paying a bit more to support your local car dealer? How about a house? Going to buy that house marked up 30k above comparative homes down the street?

If you are willing to spend a lot more money, wait usually a much longer time for parts, and just overall have your hard earned money go a lot less further on toy cars that go really really fast; perhaps you two need to go back to school and flip me a few bucks since you're so rich lol!

Last edited by Sarinexia; 11-26-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
After working at 2 hobby shops for 8 years while in highschool and college, and racing before during and after that, I have seen alot. In order for a LHS to survive, it cannot cater ro racers. I realize that the southwest may be different due to population desity and that being the hub if RC in the U.S.. I am speaking for particulary the south east and porobaly the rest of the country. Racers are very precise. We want an exact part. A LHS cant just carry 5 sets of aluminum hubs for a 22 or Mugen or whatever. Thise should be special order parts. Which the shops I worked at did. But we did carry all the consumables; diff gears, arms, shock towers, tires, ect. We also did things like plastic models, trains, and nin-nacs. Thats how you survive.

Also knowledgable staff is a must have. I had dozens of basher customers that I helped on a daily basis. I broke in nitro motors, re-built trannys, replaced arms, and told customers about alternative parts that would fit if we were out of the part they needed.

I walked into my LHS were I now live for a 5x8 bearing and the guy behind the counter and what brand and part #. Thats rediculous. It doesnt matter. He shouldnt need a computer to tell him where a part is. Genearic parts like bearing should be a no brainer. I dont think the LHS has ever been by the local track. If he had he would have stuff other than Traxxas hanging on his wall B/C in fact i NEVER even see a traxxas at the rack. There are alot of Losi's and AE's but he has zero parts for them. His parts arer also all behind a counter that an employee has to get. I like peruzing through them. Yes this increases the likelyhood of theft, but it also increases impulse purchases.

When customer service online is better in store, thats when you fail. prices come second (unless the LHS is insainly high). Brick and motar stores have to figure out how to compete. If they cant they die.

I will support my LHS when they support me.
Do you live by me? lol....sounds so similar to us here locally. THe local shop seems to not care about the local track and isnt involved unless it holds a huge race.

I mean you cant even go into the shop and buy a B4 a-arm or a AKA tire insert but you will find all things Traxxas. I will order and buy when I stroll in there if I can find something I need. Maybe some wire or body clips ha, but it's always Amain online thats gets my money.

I understand it, but if they had stuff instock I would buy it but they dont.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by murky123 View Post
recently I bought a few parts at our local hobby shop. and at the same time I bought the same parts online overseas.

the parts that I bought at our local hobbyshop, are still not deleverd to me ( 4 weeks now )
the same parts I bought at the same date online overseas where deleverd within 2 weeks.

long live the online hobby shop !!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
Or how about the LHS owner who runs a great shop, a good track, then gets greedy and decides to move operations a half hour away to a facility 4 times the size with big dreams of 2 indoor tracks, 2 outdoor tracks, 2 levels of retail mdse and then fails to launch it because he ran out of funds to complete it. I was out of r/c and racing for almost 8 years after that. R/C kinds sucks by yourself. But this was before the internet. Now even if there were NO tracks you can still find a group for a gtg race. I wonder if my LHS had great deals for black friday like the internet shops? You would have thought they might have sent me an email or something being that i've shopped there many times. But no, they can't take 2 seconds to ask for your email or home address to promote sales for themselves. Screw 'em!!
Sucks to here that shops are so bad in your area... Got to do what you got to some times..I guess..
I get emails,adds,text, and facebook deals from my lhs on a weekly bassis???

Last edited by JPKinsella; 11-26-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sarinexia View Post
Haha, lots of funny posts. I go thru one... And find another worth commenting on LOL!

Funny but true. You agree with "if you can't afford RC then go back to school and get a better job." That's hallarious. How about this spin on it....

If you buy smartly, you get more bang for your buck. Are you not going to negotiate the price of a new car because you don't mind paying a bit more to support your local car dealer? How about a house? Going to buy that house marked up 30k above comparative homes down the street?

If you are willing to spend a lot more money, wait usually a much longer time for parts, and just overall have your hard earned money go a lot less further on toy cars that go really really fast; perhaps you two need to go back to school and flip me a few bucks since you're so rich lol!
You can come work for me if you want.. If your qualified???

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service