Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Save your local hobby shop? >

Save your local hobby shop?

Save your local hobby shop?

Old 11-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I support my LHS; not only they many times have things cheaper that what I can find online but they help me if I need something like soldering, which I suck at!
They have a great track (Mike's hobby shop in TX) and Mike is a cool dude!
Old 11-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)

Originally Posted by TXSlasher View Post
but they help me if I need something like soldering, which I suck at!

Good for Mike and his shop... That is rare these days and its sad to see that happen after someone buys it there no less... I had to learn bcuz mine wouldn't help me out
Old 11-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (73%+)

I always check with the LHS to see if they have a part I may need before ordering it online. Its more convenient to just drive there and pick it up than to wait 3-7 days for it to come if ordered online. But if they don't have a part, I am forced to order it online.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
Good for Mike and his shop... That is rare these days and its sad to see that happen after someone buys it there no less... I had to learn bcuz mine wouldn't help me out
That suxs
Old 11-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TXSlasher View Post
I support my LHS; not only they many times have things cheaper that what I can find online but they help me if I need something like soldering, which I suck at!
If my local track had the selection or the product knowledge that Mikes did, I wouldn't even know what the Internet was.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

The only time I mentioned internet in a hobby shop the sales man acted like I was responsible of a drama. I was polite and everything but it definitely was a very sensitive subject. Since then I never entered a shop again and buy everything via forums. Sometimes my girlfriend still goes to a shop when we really need something fast but it's rare, we buy almost everything used anyway.

It depends on the country also, when I phone in UK/ US or Germany guys are very professionnal but in small local shops some don't even know what an ESC is..seriously. It makes me angry also seing someone selling an old shitty car to a kid that begins for twice the price it costs on local web without providing him a minimum of help. I've seen it many times and I just can't handle it anymore. So yes support your local hobby shop, IF the service provided is at least decent
Old 11-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Tech Adept

I don't think that it is really possible to run a track without some kind of parts support. If you have 50 guys showing up once a week at $20 a race... That is $1000 a week. 52 weeks in a year... 52K a year. Then pay your property rent, fees, utilities, your track help, yourself... that is just an example. There is no way my local track would be open without the support of the hobby shop. We only get about 20 racers every wed. night and they only charge $10.00. Any more in this economy and you lose racers, at least in my area... and we need all we can get.

The biggest problem I have had ordering things through a local hobby shop is sometimes they forget to actually order the parts or wait a while and it can take up to two weeks to get them.

Anyways, just thought this was a good idea to pass along to those that are close enough to there hobby shop to give it a shot.

Hey, maybe they will be able to stock all of our parts if they had enough money to get some inventory!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chopper82p View Post
I always check with the LHS to see if they have a part I may need before ordering it online. Its more convenient to just drive there and pick it up than to wait 3-7 days for it to come if ordered online. But if they don't have a part, I am forced to order it online.
My lhs is a horizon dealer I always check online first to see if its backordered then I call the owner(one of my closest friends) and have him get it for me if its not. If they don't carry what I want I'm then forced to get it online.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Support your LHS and their tracks that they work so hard at maintaining so we can enjoy the hobby we all love
Old 11-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Support your LHS and their tracks that they work so hard at maintaining so we can enjoy the hobby we all love
Old 11-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Tech Regular

I buy most my parts from my local hobby shop/track,Coyote Hobbies, and the local Hobby People. Some parts I get from a couple of choices near my work 45 miles away but only when they dont have the parts in stock by home. I had a bad experience with online purchase from Hobbypartz so I dont really buy online anymore. I am thinking of getting some fresh lipo's online, but only because I can buy 2-3 for the price of 1 good battery from my LHS. Still kind of leery about it though Maybe I will continue to use the Hobby People batteries but they are still about 1.5x the cost of recommended online lipo's.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IIGQ4U View Post
It is the local hobby shop's responsibility to remain competitive and improve their business. Just as the consumer has become more savvy, so should they. Only the strong survive in business.
Very true. I would love to buy more from my LHS but when they are adding 20$ to a gallon of fuel that should be 27, I have to pass
Old 11-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

My LHS doesnt support racing..

I have attempted the original opening statement and gave a list of parts he should stock and I promised i would buy them all through him, along with all my mates. He flat out said NO.. toys (traxxas) is where the money is.. not the racers... you guys just buy your stuff on ebay anyway.

What he does stock is crazy overpriced.. and as someone mentioned.. sells to the unknowing with little input at all.. I have had to bite my tongue on a few occasions just so he wouldnt loose a sale..

I dont go in there at all anymore.. period

I do try my hardest to support locally, but the only shop i will use in Western Australia is Ryper Hobbies.. They are definately a race bred shop. And i spent $100+ every time i walk in there.. only problem is this shop is over 2hrs (220kms) away.

Both our onroad and our offroad race tracks closed this winter... so i now have bloody heaps of cars that i cant race anymore.

So damned if you do... already damned if you don't
Old 11-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Indoor tracks survive just fine without a hobby shop. Who told you that? We some of the best indoor tracks around. They may have some stuff to sell, but they aren't Hobby shops.

Just in the Ohio area:
Uniontown
McCoughlas in PA(sp?)
the Factory
CRCRrcrcrcrcrcrcrc.
Ashtabula

Hobby shops for racers are obsolete. I need the parts I broke on Sat/Sun before next friday. That means I have to use an online store. I also get discounts on shipping and rewards from Amain that help keep costs down quite a bit. I don't even have time to travel to a hobby shop most weeks.

The average guys race trailer has more stuff for sale in it, with better prices, than most of the hobby shops I've been in.

I'd quit racing tomarrow if I had to buy everything from a hobby shop. Couldn't afford it. Only thing I get from hobby shops are hazardous shipping stuff that can't be airmailed (delaying my shipment that needs to get here before Fri). Paint and Nitro I get from shops, that's about it.
Let me tell you from a track owners mouth, The hobby shop is very necessary to make it! If people keep buying online then hopefully they can figure out how to drive rc on line! Rent here in so cal is outrageous , the track is never going to make someone rich. track owners are doing you a favor providing a place to have fun. these online stores are dropping there drawers around there ankles on pricing! not considering the track owners. most the time they advertise cheep prices and dont even have the product in stock, which screws are sells.
So big thank you to all the people that support there local tracks and shops! wish everyone would understand.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Tech Adept

" Originally Posted by IIGQ4U View Post
It is the local hobby shop's responsibility to remain competitive and improve their business. Just as the consumer has become more savvy, so should they. Only the strong survive in business."

Maybe the wrong example to use... but should we buy everything out of the U.S. because it is cheaper... prolly not. Same should be said for buying local/supporting local jobs IMHO. Just because they have a posted price doesn't mean you have to pay it... ask and you might receive. Who knows, they might spend the money at another local business that perhaps you or someone you know owns. One of the main reasons for me is that without the LHS, I have no local track.

You can be straight up with them... If they want your business, they will make you the deal. I agree with you to a point, which is why I am quite frank with my LHS. Just use this line:

"Look, I can buy this stuff online for this price. I am coming to you because I would rather give you the business... will you match these prices" It has worked 100% so far for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service