R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-01-2005, 10:14 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Lightning 2 Pro or Mayhem Pro Buggy?

I'm looking to get a buggy. I'm just about down to either the Lightning 2 Pro or the Sportwerks Mayhem Pro. I would appreciate any advice on these. Here's what I'm considering...

In the L2P, I would want an O.S. .21 V-SPEC. In the Mayhem Pro, I would either get the Pro with the .21 engine or the Pro w/o an engine and use an O.S. .21 V-SPEC.

The total for the L2P, with V-SPEC, would be approx. $780

The total for the Mayhem Pro w/.21 engine would be $529

The total for the Mayhem Pro, w/V-SPEC, would be approx. $790

Something I've been trying to find out is - is the Mayhem Pro as DURABLE and TOUGH as the Lightning 2 Pro? If so, the Mayhem with the .21 is a great deal in a buggy. If not, I'll go with the L2P.

I'll be using this for racing AND lots of bashing/BIG jumping, so DURABILITY is my biggest concern.

Another idea I've toyed with, is the new Mugen Prospec and O.S. .21 V-SPEC bundle for $999. This is slightly cheaper than buying a Prospec and V-SPEC separately. It is also only $120 more than the L2P and V-SPEC I mentioned above. Of course, I could buy TWO Mayhem Pros with .21s for the same price...

I already have servos and radio.

So, my main question is - Lightning 2 Pro or Mayhem Pro?

My second question is, should I go all the way and just get the Mugen Prospec/V-SPEC bundle? (Is the Mugen TOUGHER/more DURABLE than the L2P?)

Has anyone seen the .21 that comes with the Mayhem Pro? I believe it is made by SH. Does it run good and have a good, linear powerband? Is it fast? Does it last?

(By the way, I'm not interested in an Ofna, Jammin, Kyosho, etc. I've narrowed it down to these choices and that just about drove me crazy enough... )

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post,
Chase

Last edited by Chase; 04-01-2005 at 10:23 PM.
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:23 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to layedbackguy

the mayhem, is bullet proof!!!!my buddy has the pro version with the .21 race motor. it keeps up with 777,mbx5 and for the money it's not a bad deal at all..to my knowledge he has not a a problem out the pro mayhem..the body looks a little different..but it can always be changed to a crowd pleazer 2.0.. hudy makes pretty strong parts so i see this buggys being around for a while!! you can check out pics of it on the 1/8 scale buggy pic fourm
layedbackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:36 PM   #3
Tech Master

I found this review on the lightning 2rr after I got mine..

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/reviews/hot_bodies_l2rr.html
onnetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 06:48 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Go with the LP2. A buddy of mine has it and he never broke a thing on it during racing for a whole year. He did break a couple of hub carriers and something else because of a huge jump that he didn't land on all fours. But with any vehicle if you don't land on all fours your bound to break something. Also the buggy is cheap to replace parts. It also comes with all the hop ups that the kyosho kanai 3 has but for way cheaper. I would definately check into thios buggy. The new RC Car magazine has a review in it i believe with the Mayhem RTR, lightning 2 RTR, Jammin, and two other buggies I can't remember which ones but goes in depth on all the buggies and compairs them.
the dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:18 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by layedbackguy
the mayhem, is bullet proof!!!!my buddy has the pro version with the .21 race motor. it keeps up with 777,mbx5 and for the money it's not a bad deal at all..to my knowledge he has not a a problem out the pro mayhem..the body looks a little different..but it can always be changed to a crowd pleazer 2.0.. hudy makes pretty strong parts so i see this buggys being around for a while!! you can check out pics of it on the 1/8 scale buggy pic fourm
layedback,

Hudy? Do they have something to do with the Mayhem?

Thanks,
Chase
Old 04-02-2005, 10:21 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by the dirt
Go with the LP2. A buddy of mine has it and he never broke a thing on it during racing for a whole year. He did break a couple of hub carriers and something else because of a huge jump that he didn't land on all fours. But with any vehicle if you don't land on all fours your bound to break something. Also the buggy is cheap to replace parts. It also comes with all the hop ups that the kyosho kanai 3 has but for way cheaper. I would definately check into thios buggy. The new RC Car magazine has a review in it i believe with the Mayhem RTR, lightning 2 RTR, Jammin, and two other buggies I can't remember which ones but goes in depth on all the buggies and compairs them.
dirt,

Thanks for the comments. Do you think the L2P handles as well as a Kyosho or Mugen? Is the design still up-to-date enough to be competitive?

Also, does anyone know which buggy handles better - the L2P or the Mayhem Pro?

Thanks again!
Chase
Old 04-03-2005, 10:34 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

Chase both cars are up to date when it comes to features and being competitive.
I dont think you could go wrong with either car.For bashing DO YOURSELF a favor and dont buy a prospec car unless money is just burning a whole in your pocket.

I personally like the Lighting car.It's very nice and at a GREAT price.
Email me and I will tell you a KILLER place to buy one and it's shipped for free.

Les
Old 04-04-2005, 11:23 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to layedbackguy

im sorry....hudy makes the xray...got it mixed up...sorry guys, but i still the mayhem is a solid buggy..alltho i drive a mbx 5, i was thinking of getting a mayhem to bash with it retails for around $540.00 with controler and motor... there are alot of guys at my local track that run it..and seem to keep up with the best. i didnt see a article on the RTR buggys, cant remember which was the best, but the mayhem was not last..
layedbackguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:52 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Chase- Yes i think it handles somewhat like the Kyosho, I never ran a Mugen before. I normally run 1/10 gas and electric vehicles and i ran the LP2 and the Kyosho Kanai 3 both the same day. Depending on your driving type aswell. The way the buggies were set-up i notice the LP2 pushed alittle more through the corners off-power but if you punch it on power the buggy drifts through the corners easily. The buggy is definately as tough as the Kyosho Kanai. It also comes with machined steering knuckles rather than cast like the Kanai. Its definately a buggy that has the quality of the Kyosho but a fraction of the cost.

Also, with the RTR Mayhem, I was reading in one the mags that there's probelms with some of the races not allowing to run with the rtr engine. I believe it is either the new RC-Car Magazine.
the dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:05 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

dirt,

Thanks for the info.

By the way, I'm not getting the Mayhem RTR - it's the Mayhem Pro I'm looking at.

I'm still trying to find someone that can tell me how they handle compared to the Lightnings.

Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #11
Tech Adept

what i would do is goto your lhs and find what they carry the most of. so if they don't have either of those then I wouldn't get either or em unless you buy extra parts ahead of time.

I have heard that the 777 is totally indestructable. also the kit is only 400
Myt3rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:40 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Unfortunately, my LHSs don't carry buggy parts, so anything would be by online order...
Old 04-05-2005, 08:07 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default buggy ?

The car mag test that was mentioned earlier in the thread was won by the Mayhem Pro RTR. Largley due to its motor, for an RTR it rips. The Jammin RTR handled better but the motor wasnt up to the task of making up the Mayhems motor. It was real close. The Mayhem "kit" (prebuilt with motor no electronics) with the legal .21 is the one the question was referring to. The motor is good but not up to something like the V-Spec. The Mayhems handling from what I have seen is very good, sorry I cant comment on the LP2.
Randy Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:49 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

I've decided to get two Mayhem Pros, with the .21 engines. I'm also going to get an additional .26 SW engine, to replace the .21 in one of the Pros and sell the .21 (the Pro w/o engine is out of stock until July or I would get one of those).

The SW .26 is only about $120. Also, when I wear out the SW .21, I think I'll get the O.S. .21 V-SPEC to replace it.

The .26 will just be a bashing setup and the .21 will be a racing setup.

Thanks.