Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
HELP!!!. Which brushless, Tekin or Mamba??? >

HELP!!!. Which brushless, Tekin or Mamba???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP!!!. Which brushless, Tekin or Mamba???

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 02:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Default HELP!!!. Which brushless, Tekin or Mamba???

Hi guys!

I've been away from this hobby for some time since I sold all my RC stuff but something odd happened very recently. I just bought a new apartment and when I was opening and organizing all my stuff, I found a box full of parts. To my surprise, they were parts that I bought to build a Revo with all the bells and whistles. You know, RPM arms, RPM hub carriers with oversized bearings, a transmission with the FOC, aluminum shock mounts, upgraded shocks, brand new Novarossi FMS with pipe, tank conversion, street tires, Hitec high torque servos, etc (you get the picture)

I don't have much time to spend on setting the engine, cleaning, etc.. Also, I don't want to be spending on nitro gallons, plugs, etc. This time I want something easier to deal with and that I can use at any time without bothering the neighbors - just plug and play. So, I decided to go brushless and experiment with it as I have always been interested on trying it but never did it. I need the best suggestions from more experienced and knowledgeable people. All I know is that I will begin with 4S as I have been suggested (don't even know what 4S means). Later I will step-up to 6S. I don't know anything about this electric thing, so, forgive all my questioning. I've got my eyes fixed on 2 systems: Of course, I'm looking for the BEST I can get between the two that can handle and support up to 6S. I will be using it for recreation, racing with my friends on parking lots, at the beach, at the street....... EVERYWHERE!!!. I want a beast to destroy every other car that stands on my way.

1) Castle Creations Mamba Monster ESC/Motor Combo (2200Kv)

2) Tekin RX8/Redline T8 ESC/Motor Combo (2250kV)

I wanted to post their links on Amainhobbies but the system didn't allow me to do so.

Thanks a lot guys!!!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Tech Initiate

I already know that the Mamba 2200Kv handles up to 6s. But something that is confusing me is that some people say the Tekin can handle 6s batteries like the Mamba, and say it does not. I just want insane power and top speed. I want the very best I can get.

So, my questions are:

1 Which one is the truth?... Is the RX8 capable of handling 6s like the mamba?
2) All things being equal (battery size, weight, etc), and putting this sensor and sensorless thing aside, which one would be more powerful and faster?

3 I had a third question regarding warranty, but I just found out. For those searching for this one, Tekin gives 3 months and Castle gives 1 year
That's one point for Castle. Only the first 2 questions remain unanswered. Then, I will be able to make my order!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Ford or Chevy. They are both good. Try using search, there are 100 threads on this.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Originally Posted by crazy_freak
1) Which one is the truth?... Is the RX8 capable of handling 6s like the mamba?
The RX8 can handle 6s.

Originally Posted by crazy_freak
2) All things being equal (battery size, weight, etc), and putting this sensor and sensorless thing aside, which one would be more powerful and faster?
That would depend on your motor, not the ESC really. With the same motor, the difference would probably be negligible. The only situation where you might see a clear better choice is in a racing situation, the RX8 with it's sensored ability and many tuning options might pull ahead, but it is still all about the driver and there are plenty of fast people at my track who run the MMM combo. Don't hesitate to throw the Hobbywing Xerun 150A on your list, that ESC has proven itself over the last year to be able to hang with the big boys.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

A 4s pack means 4 cells. With lipos every s is one cell.

I had a brushless erevo with the castle 2200kv combo and it was a blast. I only ran it on 4s and it was ballistic! It would pop a wheelie at just about any speed. Both tekin and castle are great companies with good customer service. The one year warranty from castle is definitely a plus.

When bashing you won't notice not running a sensored setup.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I havint ran the tekin but i have the castle and do love it i had one esc go out yester but its been ran for years!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 122 (100%+)

Tekin for racing Castle for bashing IMO.
I have heard of it and blown a lot of Castles ESC'S.

Last edited by HPI-Blitz 101; 11-18-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Spelling fix
Old 11-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T
Ford or Chevy. They are both good. Try using search, there are 100 threads on this.
Wrong, there are around 300 useless threads about it, but none offers real facts. There are just a bunch of fanatic guys giving many biased opinions without real facts and numbers. I thought that maybe I could start a serious thread with serious people willing to help based on their knowledge. But thanks anyways!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Devigili22
The RX8 can handle 6s.

That would depend on your motor, not the ESC really. With the same motor, the difference would probably be negligible. The only situation where you might see a clear better choice is in a racing situation, the RX8 with it's sensored ability and many tuning options might pull ahead, but it is still all about the driver and there are plenty of fast people at my track who run the MMM combo. Don't hesitate to throw the Hobbywing Xerun 150A on your list, that ESC has proven itself over the last year to be able to hang with the big boys.
Thank you very much for your time and help. I have been reading a lot in a LOT of websites and found that many people think that the best combination would be the mamba 2200Kv motor with the Tekin ESC. Other say the Tekin company does not suggest using 6s on their rx8 combo. I really don't know what to believe anymore. Let me put it like this; (despite the sensor advantage on the Tekin), if I have both setups, with the same batteries, on two identical cars, etc...... Which one would be the most powerful launch and fastest overall speed???
Right now, I'm trying to get some of my co-workers involved on this hobby and I need to be clear as I just used to run nitro. This will he my first electric and I simply want the very best ESC/motor combo. I want the most powerful and faster of the two. I have no problems if I have to buy one component of each manufacturer. I just want the very best combination!!!.. Of course, I'm searching for a real answers which are backed by real facts and based on real knowledge. This is no longer my hobby and I don't want to spend a lot of $$$ on something that won't satisfy me. I'll appreciate your orientation and help.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have both. My recommendation for you is go with the Castle.

I've had the Castle for about 3 years now with no issues. I started racing with it but didn't like the sensorless feel of it.

I bought a Tekin this spring, and it's been returned for service twice. (once was my fault though), I love how smooth it feels on the track.

There is also Hobbywing, EZrun, Orion, LRP, and others as well. (I have no experience with these though)

In the end they're all electrical components that do fail from time to time. If i was a basher I would go with the one that had the better/longer warranty.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MattP
A 4s pack means 4 cells. With lipos every s is one cell.

I had a brushless erevo with the castle 2200kv combo and it was a blast. I only ran it on 4s and it was ballistic! It would pop a wheelie at just about any speed. Both tekin and castle are great companies with good customer service. The one year warranty from castle is definitely a plus.

When bashing you won't notice not running a sensored setup.
Excellent information. Thank you very much. I have NO knowledge on electrics and that is what I need. What are the details/specs one should look for when buying an ESC and a motor???
Old 11-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tweeter79
I have both. My recommendation for you is go with the Castle.

I've had the Castle for about 3 years now with no issues. I started racing with it but didn't like the sensorless feel of it.

I bought a Tekin this spring, and it's been returned for service twice. (once was my fault though), I love how smooth it feels on the track.

There is also Hobbywing, EZrun, Orion, LRP, and others as well. (I have no experience with these though)

In the end they're all electrical components that do fail from time to time. If i was a basher I would go with the one that had the better/longer warranty.
Excellent idea... The warranty is important. Point taken!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Tech Prophet

If you want to race i would take a look at the Hobbywing Xeron 150 amp and its sensored which trust me is much better on a dry outdoor track for brakeing/smooth power ! I run the Castle Mamba 2200kv on 4s which of course is unsensored i got the punch control on 60% so its easier to drive. But i do have to say the Castle motor and ESC are very relible !

But since your just bashing i would get the Castle Mamba 2200kv.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've had both also!!
Started with Mamba monster esc paired with cc 2200,2650 ....great combo for bashing but then me and my buds started to do the indoor track thing and getting more technical about racing....i switch to Mamba max pro and tekin 1900 kv,mainly for sensor operations,low end power and weight saving !!
Both combo are great....that being said!! Since you are looking for insane speed to kick your buddy a**!!! I would suggest MM monster esc and MM 2650 kv(with 6s and the right pinion...this combo is capable of 90 mph+ on an 8th scale buggy)
Just sayin !!!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Lowe's48
with 6s and the right pinion...this combo is capable of 90 mph+ on an 8th scale buggy
Just sayin !!!
Just throwing this out there. IF you end up going with the 2650 on 6s(which will be just...stupid fast), please do some research on small scale aerodynamics so at 90mph you don't go from a driver to a pilot. Also watch your temps or you will kill the ESC...or motor...or drivetrain...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.