Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Save your local hobby shop?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Tech Adept

Default Save your local hobby shop?

Many people buy most of their stuff online... especially those of us on rctech. We already have computers and are internet savvy so why not? We come here looking for the best info on the products we love to use, so it makes sense that we would look for the best deal online as well.

How about trying a new approach with your hobby shop? I can't guarantee that it will work, but it has for me every single time in the past:

Make your list of rc items that you want and include the price of shipping... everything that you would pay out the door. Go to your local hobby shop and politely ask them if they will match the prices that you can buy the products for online. When I do this I include the cost of shipping as well... Sure it doesn't come to my doorstep, but I'm at the hobbyshop racing once a week anyways so it isn't a big deal.

Help your local shop grow!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I buy stuff from my local hobby shop whenever I can. Even if it costs me a bit more. But there are certain things like LiPo batteries, that can be had for soooo much cheaper online. Also, the local guy doesn't always have what I need and it takes him forever to get around to ordering something for me. I'll buy whatever I can from the local guy though. It's nice to get it right then instead of waiting a week for it to get here to Alaska.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Here in the state of Mn we have probally 7 or 8 real RC hobby shops. Only two are actully good shops with competitive prices. The others are inflated prices and have very limited stock. They say that they will order something you request and never do. This is the main reson I shop online. But since Wheel Brokers opened up I have been supporting him for he stocks what racers want and has prices almost always better then Amains.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Unless it is way cheaper I will try to buy at the local hobby shop. But if they do not have it on hand I will often just order it online myself, the wait is the same and the cost is about the same. But I already made my trip.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

We have a pro shop at our track. The good news is they have just about every thing you could ever want on the fly and they stock every brand. The better news is I have spent loads of money in there even when they have to order it comes in with in the amount of time it would take to order on line so I save shipping by using the ordering power of the tracks shop.

Now for the even better news. I have saved shipping and they already match the online prices with out even having to ask and in many cases I have even saved money for buying at the shop. If I need it over night I online it. If I can wait I use the shop. None the less I save shipping by using the track. Lucky for us our tracks Pro shop has got it figured out...
Old 11-20-2012, 05:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default Hobby shops

A lot of people don't understand that with out there local hobby shops and tracks they would not have anywhere to use the thousands of dalliers of stuff they have bought and acquired over the years. Some people say I do support my local track I race there but what most people don't understand is that race fee's alone will not support a nice indoor racing facility with pits,power,restrooms,maintenance,race programs,oh yeah and the parts that are needed to be able to fix what they break while racing. Another problem with people who buy everything online is after they buy the cheapest products online then they want to bring it to there local hobby shops and expect to get great customer service on the junk that they bought for free questions, info, how do I find parts, why did this $30 lipo puff up so fast, this is just a few examples. But it is also a lot of the everyday issues that local shops put up with sorry to rant but I myself am a hobby shop and race facility owner myself and what people also don't understand is how much work goes into running a facility like mine and all of the other nice facilities around the world. So racers maybe for once go to your local shop give them a real chance to match pricing and order in what your looking for yes the wait is about the same and it doesn't come to your door step but the next time you want to go racing you might find that the doors of the nice facility you are use to going to are still open and you won't have to sit around looking at all of your stuff remembering how much fun you had when you use to go racing. Once again sorry for the rant but some people just don't appreciate what it takes. Have fun racing where ever you race!!!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Tech Champion

Indoor tracks survive just fine without a hobby shop. Who told you that? We some of the best indoor tracks around. They may have some stuff to sell, but they aren't Hobby shops.

Just in the Ohio area:
Uniontown
McCoughlas in PA(sp?)
the Factory
CRCRrcrcrcrcrcrcrc.
Ashtabula

Hobby shops for racers are obsolete. I need the parts I broke on Sat/Sun before next friday. That means I have to use an online store. I also get discounts on shipping and rewards from Amain that help keep costs down quite a bit. I don't even have time to travel to a hobby shop most weeks.

The average guys race trailer has more stuff for sale in it, with better prices, than most of the hobby shops I've been in.

I'd quit racing tomarrow if I had to buy everything from a hobby shop. Couldn't afford it. Only thing I get from hobby shops are hazardous shipping stuff that can't be airmailed (delaying my shipment that needs to get here before Fri). Paint and Nitro I get from shops, that's about it.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Tech Addict

Cars/trucks - Its hard to beat the $50 off from Tower if its a certain brand. Although the Losi stuff I had I bought local. Even my durango sc i bought local because it was the first time he carried the durango stuff so I felt i should support it even though it was $50 more then tower, but atleast I got to walk out with it, haha

Parts - I always email the normal place and ask to check if its backordered through their distributor. If it is backordered, then i'll order it online. If not, i usually get it next day then. Then I always have my little coupons from them, for $25 spending, get $5 off. Those usually come after spending $100

Electronics(esc/motor) - Always ordered through local hobby shop, even if its slightly more. this gives me a person to go back to if there is an issue. Already happened to a novak ESC that went bad on first day. They just swapped it out for another one and they dealt with the bad one without affecting my racing.

i think certain brands are easier than others. Traxxas, Associated, Losi you are pretty much guaranteed to have the parts at our LHS that has the track. My durango, its a wait no matter what, so just tell me how fast you can get it and i'll decide that way. Kyosho, it'll take a week or two for one of the shops.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Every hobby shop has the opportunity to sell online if they want to. Some don't want or need to. Some bitch about online killing their business... If you can't beatem Join em....
Old 11-20-2012, 08:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

It is the local hobby shop's responsibility to remain competitive and improve their business. Just as the consumer has become more savvy, so should they. Only the strong survive in business.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I wish I had a local hobby shop and would be happy to pay a bit more to shop at one. When I have traveled to race I try to buy something from the LHS that is running the track.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The only products I buy online are the ones I can't get at my local hobby shop.(Yokomo) or if amain has something I need literally the next day.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

My local hobby shop(s) is an hour one way from me. And they don't inventory the parts I want or need. I appreciate the offer to "order me one" but I can order myself one, and have it delivered.

On a related note, Best Buy is getting crushed by Amazon because 1) Amazon's service is better and 2) their selection is better and 3) their pricing is better. In that order.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by KC10Chief
But there are certain things like LiPo batteries, that can be had for soooo much cheaper online. Also, the local guy doesn't always have what I need and it takes him forever to get around to ordering something for me.
wow, exactly what i think too. Whenever i need something fast, or i can get it with guarantee not much more expensive from my local track-dealer, i buy it there.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Tech Legend

some guys have to drive hours just to race or buy a part the same day ...

Thanks to the Internet ......WTG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.