R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree13Likes

Old 10-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #26671
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I recently had a problem with my wires getting unsoldered... did a complete rebuild of the truck, found a few crunchy bearings that needed to be replaced and also re-soldered fresh wiring/connectors and went through the whole truck with a fine tooth comb... then the truck would periodically shut off from hard landings... I was thinking it was a bad ESC, then eventually the motor seized up completely and it turned out to be a bad rotor:

billdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:20 PM   #26672
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

that got warm as biscuits!
Old 10-18-2017, 07:29 AM   #26673
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

im taking it as you didn't change the motor bearings....lol..ive seen that happen a few times....couldn't you tell by how loud it was driving?
skinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:38 AM   #26674
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinned View Post
im taking it as you didn't change the motor bearings....lol..ive seen that happen a few times....couldn't you tell by how loud it was driving?
The motor was approaching 2 years old, no weird sounds other than normal operation, after pulling the rotor, I inspected the bearings and they're still in great shape, no crunchy feeling in the slightest. The truck has been very competitive too... it looks like it took a hard crash and a small corner chipped off one of the magnets then got wedged between the rotor and stator which consequently cut into the (epoxy/string) wrapping around the magnets and then excessive heat formed causing the wires to become unsoldered from time to time. I've been having intermittent problems for the past 6 months, it just got progressively worse until the motor finally locked up.

If I could do anything differently, I would've inspected the rotor months ago and I bet I could've seen the chipped magnet at that point which would've saved me a lot of frustration.

I've now realized is that all it takes is one nasty crash to damage a rotor, I'm going to make it a habit to regularly inspect the rotors in all my cars from now on! Probably worth inspecting every time they do a track layout change and I'm learning the timing for jumps and typically come up short with a lawn dart into the face of a landing ramp, I'm thinking that's when the rotor was more than likely damaged
billdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #26675
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

OMG!....so I did a resolder...got a motor fan ...dropped my pinion...and I did great this sat. I made it through all 3 quals and the main with no probs...thanks again everybody who gave me some tips...
EbbTide and ezlight like this.
skinned is offline   Reply With Quote