Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
About to buy my first RC. Looking for final advice. > About to buy my first RC. Looking for final advice.

About to buy my first RC. Looking for final advice.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Default About to buy my first RC. Looking for final advice.

Hello guys. I am bout to purchase my first Rc. After long consideration I have decided on the 1/10 scale electirc off road stadium truck. All the hobby shops i have been to suggested t4.1, but my own reaserch has lead me to belive that a rustler vxl would be a better option for me. The rustler looks like it is more durable and water proof (this is very important since i have absolutely no rc driving experince),it has cheaper replacement parts, it seems a more complete beginner package, and it has a more powerfull motor with several training modes on esc so the speed can be scaled up and down based on my learning curve. I plan on getting a lipo battery off the bat just for longer run times and eventually hope to get into racing but not for a year or so. any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Also SCT is not an option. I just don't like how they look; the cool look is an important factor, at least for now.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:50 AM
See
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

If your not planning on racing it go with the Rustler. You can bash the hell out of it and like you said parts are cheap.On the other hand should you decide to race you will be better off with the T4.1 which is a great truck and parts are also fairly cheap.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I would purchase the Ready-To-Run DEST210 from Durango. The Rustler and T4.1 wouldn't be bad choices, but the Rustler is definitely more used for bashing and wouldn't benefit you if you ever decided to race. The T4.1 would be a good vehicle to race with, but if you wanted to play around in the yard, this isn't the right car for you. The Durango DEST210 is very durable, but also has been proven many times on the race track. The DEST210 can be played with in the back yard and you won't have to worry about breaking it. But if it does break, the parts to fix it are also cheap to buy. If you ever decided to race, then you'd already be ahead of the game and DEST210 could be thrown down on the track and be competitive.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

You will get opinions to every side of this discussion. The rustler in my opinion is a good truck to start especially if you don't have experiance. They are really well built and will really take a punishment. I race one personally and where you can place with it really depends on your skill and the skill of the other drivers around you. At my track I took novice and stock champion and placed 5th out of 14 in mod.

My Rustler is running 95% traxxas parts. The only non traxxas parts are the ESC, Motor, Reciever, servo and battery if you want to get really specific. The stock tires work well at my track. Other than the above mentioned non traxxas parts I upgraded to the aluminum big bore Traxxas shocks. I hope this helps you, Even though the Rustler may not have been "Race Built" of you educate your self in to how things work (i.e Camber angles, Spring Rates, ride hight etc.) you can make that rustler work well. Feel free to pm me.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Get the Rustler. None can compare to it's bashability and parts support. EVERYWHERE has Traxxas parts. And there are plenty of upgrades you can make to make it a great racer in the future.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys. Ill have to go and research the DEST210 now. This is a tough decision: just when i think i have made my choice, some comes up with a new option to look at.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Tech Regular

Dillhole re pm me i seem to be having trouble pming you.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just to mention it, I think "waterproof" is a little misleading. Maybe the electronics are water proof but i would think more like splash proof. Then there's the rest of the truck that's no where near waterproof like all the screws, bearings, anything that's not plastic or aluminum/titanium/stainless.

Just saying, even with the traxxas you want to avoid water if possible.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Unless you are able to stock up on spare parts, or are willing to wait on things to ship.. rule #1 for your first car should be local parts support. That will still leave a lot great choices on the list, but I would not overlook the perk of being able to walk into the local hobby shop and fix what is broken the day it happened....