Search
Like Tree246Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 05:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

always break in sim spot, a brace like this for rear would have helped alot
Attached Thumbnails Xray XB4 thread-1471205_918449604888968_7725938642425234424_n.jpg  
Old 12-30-2015, 05:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

similar breaks,car is really tough other than this part,glad to see it has been improved.if the 16 breaks here,ill use a piece of thin stainless bar in the front to connect the 3 holes and a 90deg bent brace for rear bulkhead.
Attached Thumbnails Xray XB4 thread-11150644_918449608222301_1653790868294683932_n.jpg  
Old 12-30-2015, 09:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BentKa
Yes that would be an option.

Steps on the chassis braces would be:

Soft
  • Medium brace
  • Hard brace
  • Medium brace with carbon stiffener
  • Hard brace with carbon stiffener
Hard

Bent
Bent,

I remembered your post above about the braces; currently am building my xb4 '16. The manual on page 24 states that the graphite chassis brace (carbon stiffener) is used to increase traction. The statement in the manual is incorrect, right? The carbon stiffener decreases traction....I apologize if this was mentioned before but I did not remember any posts talking about this.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

My 2016 has been incredible. Nobody for 400 miles has parts but I haven't needed any. Still the fastest thing on the track with just a 13.5. I hardly need to get off the throttle. I was really worried about the car not working on a lower traction surface but its like cheating. I bought the car to run in 1 event over this next summer but I'm going to continue to use it for club racing. Its been the best car I've bought in a while.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:16 PM
Tech Regular

Can someone post a Xray cst oil to AE or Losi wt oil chart that's correct.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ResultsRC
similar breaks,car is really tough other than this part,glad to see it has been improved.if the 16 breaks here,ill use a piece of thin stainless bar in the front to connect the 3 holes and a 90deg bent brace for rear bulkhead.
Just knock yourself up something like this, I've not broken a bulkhead or a shock tower since in got it back in 2013.
Attached Thumbnails Xray XB4 thread-image.jpg  
Old 12-31-2015, 01:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Troyster
Bent,

I remembered your post above about the braces; currently am building my xb4 '16. The manual on page 24 states that the graphite chassis brace (carbon stiffener) is used to increase traction. The statement in the manual is incorrect, right? The carbon stiffener decreases traction....I apologize if this was mentioned before but I did not remember any posts talking about this.

For low grip the brace will definitely reduce traction as it removes needed flex to create more traction but it can also be used as a tuning option when running the optional medium front and rear chassis braces together with the medium side guards.

A setup that we highly recommend for low to medium grip surfaces.

This gives you more options to tune flex when running medium chassis braces and side guards.

On high grip we usually run the carbon braces with the hard braces and side guards to remove some chassis flex and make it easier to push hard

Bent
Old 12-31-2015, 01:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by blwaz23
Can someone post a Xray cst oil to AE or Losi wt oil chart that's correct.
All the AE bottles have the CST value printed on them so no need for any conversion.

A conversion to WT will never be truly accurate due to the fact that the WT scale is not an exact measuring method (values will vary depending on conditions during testing).

And do yourself a favor and stick to clear 100% pure silicon oils (Hudy, AE, Core, Ultimate +++++)

Colored oils which needs to be broken down before adding the coloring will be more sensitive to temperature variations.

Bent
Old 12-31-2015, 02:18 AM
Tech Master

I see how the brace could help with the camber link area but having the brace go down to the 3rd bolt on the bulkhead would not have caused the tower to crack. The load is still on the bulkhead this way just the thicker part of the plastic. Rather than the super thin upper plastic part.
Most all my broken bulkheads have been from landing jumps flat not crashing. This last one broke from another car clipping me in a corner and hitting the tower
In 2013 these braces were released by Xray to stop the rear camber link to snap the rear tower.

People were then making braces to connect the 3 rows of holes on the front tower/bulkhead.

This resulted in the front shock towers breaking as the bulkhead was not the weak part anymore and the forces was moved to the shock tower instead.

On the later models both the front and rear shock towers have had material added around all the mounting points and the front tower has had the thickness increased to 3.5 mm.

This will of course reduce the chances of the shock towers breaking when using a brace to connect the holes.

But I would rather suggest you upgrade to the '16 front and rear bulkheads.

As far as a bulkhead breaking because a car jumps onto you and hits the shock tower that will still happen.

These are race cars and are not meant to be driven through walls and move obstacles at your local track.

To make them 100% indestructible would mean they would weigh a ton and have the handling of a Traxxas. Neither is desirable qualities in a race proven buggy

If you want a brace to connect the holes then make one…..it's easy, only cost a few $ and only require a Dremel and a 3mm drill bit

Or there are companies in Europe that sell these (no I don't know who, but someone might).

Now go out and practice your landings

Bent
Old 12-31-2015, 04:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Are there any after market bodies that will fit the xb4 2016?
Old 12-31-2015, 04:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dchavez305
Are there any after market bodies that will fit the xb4 2016?
No, at the moment you have 2 options from Xray…..standard and lightweight, but they both look the same.

The JConcepts body is for the '13 and '14 with saddle pack batteries.

Bent
Old 12-31-2015, 06:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 259 (100%+)

On what type of track conditions do the medium chassis braces and side guards begin to make a difference in improving vehicle grip?

And what disadvantages does it create on tracks with med-high grip?

Just looking to see if it makes sense to purchase these for setup options.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

You're lamenting on a problem that has been solved. The updated '16 bulkheads resolve this problem.

If XRAY thought a simple brace would solve the problem, they would have developed one. However, instead they decided to completely remould the front bulkhead, which is much more time intensive from both the design and manufacturing standpoint.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

To make them 100% indestructible would mean they would weigh a ton and have the handling of a Traxxas. Neither is desirable qualities in a race proven buggy
To make them 100% indestructible would just move the force of the impact to some other part that would break or bend (like a chassis!).
Old 12-31-2015, 06:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

For low grip the brace will definitely reduce traction as it removes needed flex to create more traction but it can also be used as a tuning option when running the optional medium front and rear chassis braces together with the medium side guards.

A setup that we highly recommend for low to medium grip surfaces.

This gives you more options to tune flex when running medium chassis braces and side guards.

On high grip we usually run the carbon braces with the hard braces and side guards to remove some chassis flex and make it easier to push hard

Bent
The track I run at just changed the layout which means low grip for awhile. I installed the medium braces and side guards along with 500k in the center diff. Rest of the setup is basically stock until I run it at the track; waiting on new electronics to arrive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.