Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree246Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 10:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

BOZ I'm surprised you struggled with space for the electronics, with my motor in the rear position i had more space than my 15.
Xray XB4 thread-screen-shot-2015-11-12-5.16.36-pm.jpg
Old 11-11-2015, 10:43 PM
Boz
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

It's probable more the esc side. It hard to layout neatly when the capacitor doesn't stretch to far.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HSV427
Wondering if any one else has the same problem, i set my car up with the motor in the rear position but the nut and screw that holds the side pod to the chassis just behind the motor is stoping me from fitting my motor, the only way i can get my motor in is not to run that screw which means that the side pod will only be held by 2 screws the one at the front and the one at the rear, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
You raise a pretty good point Looking at Bozs picture it looks pretty tight and I assume that's in the front position

Be interested to hear other people's experience.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:59 PM
Tech Master

Wondering if any one else has the same problem, i set my car up with the motor in the rear position but the nut and screw that holds the side pod to the chassis just behind the motor is stoping me from fitting my motor, the only way i can get my motor in is not to run that screw which means that the side pod will only be held by 2 screws the one at the front and the one at the rear, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
When running the motor in the rear position the nut will interfere with the motor.

As the rearward position is meant for really loose low grip conditions you can run it without the screw/nut without issues

Bent
Old 11-11-2015, 11:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Boz
I mounted the radio gear last night. Unfortunately, it's like installing radio gear into a Durango. but it's not quite as hard as a Durango.

I got their in the end and I'm happy with it now.

Time to hit the track. I'm excited.
It would help greatly if you rotate the ESC 90* to the right, run smaller wires and run them through the lower front brace for the battery and esc.

We're running full size servo, 2 x capacitor banks and extra fan for the 4.5T motor with space to spare. The '15 and '16 have a lot more space for electronics than the '13 and '14 had

Bent
Old 11-11-2015, 11:10 PM
Boz
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, I noticed it too.

Why put 2 holes in for the battery position and not motor position. ops.

I hope they do a rolling update on the chassis one day. I think we can manage to drill a 3mm hole in the side guard.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by freakshow__
Is it normal for the 2016 xb4 to be very loud when you use it? I had a 2014 one and it was pretty quiet when i raced it.

I was curious if the newer steel ring/pinion gears are what makes it so loud...or do i need to look at things closer? My gear mesh is perfect. It just sounds really loud compared to all the other cars at the track.

Anyone?
Originally Posted by likea45
discountrcstore.com

It is louder than the composite gears. It sounds just like my 15 with the same gears in it. As long as nothing is grinding it should be normal. Make sure that slipper is set exactly to the manual or it can kill the gears if you're running it.

As likea45 says the steel gears are louder than the composite gears that were standard in the '13 and '14.

The '16 should however be comparable to the '15 in terms of how it sounds.
Just remember to grease the gears and make sure gear mesh is okay for the pinion/spur.

I've also witnessed some managing to not have the bearings for the spur entirely seated causing the spur to not track straight

Bent
Old 11-11-2015, 11:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Boz
Yeah, I noticed it too.

Why put 2 holes in for the battery position and not motor position. ops.

I hope they do a rolling update on the chassis one day. I think we can manage to drill a 3mm hole in the side guard.
As mentioned the rear motor position is only used for really loose and blown out tracks and then you run it without the 4th screw (front, ESC tray and back)…….so not really an issue.

If you really want to run that last screw either drill a new 3mm hole (takes 30 seconds including countersinking it) or use a low profile nut instead of the standard one (or just Dremel it down).

Bent
Old 11-12-2015, 12:23 AM
Boz
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BentKa
It would help greatly if you rotate the ESC 90* to the right, run smaller wires and run them through the lower front brace for the battery and esc.

We're running full size servo, 2 x capacitor banks and extra fan for the 4.5T motor with space to spare. The '15 and '16 have a lot more space for electronics than the '13 and '14 had

Bent
Cheers.

I finally found the pictures of Bruno's car (body off) again. Turning around the ESC by 90* didn't work for me last night as one of motor wires were hitting the motor mount. I did notice that Bruno positions his ESC towards the outer of the chassis where I had mine closer to the centre line of the chassis. I think when I tried it, the steering bellcrank was hitting the wires coming out of the ESC and that's why I didn't like it facing that way.

I'll has look at it again.

I have never been a fan of running the battery wires via the brace. Having to unsoldering a brand new ESC just sounds like a silly thing to do. I'm always worried about blowing it up before I use it.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

Originally Posted by BentKa

Bent
As you can see in my photo I'm running my wires under the front brace but with the motor in rear position it comes up 5mm short so the wires keep piping out, i was wondering if you (bentka) could give me a suggestion what to do cause at the moment if they pop out they will go straight into my spur gear which will eventually lead to a DNF or even worse a short circuit. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

The part # for the medium side pods (XRA361265) was readily available. Does anyone have the part # for the medium chassis brace/s?
Old 11-12-2015, 06:50 AM
Tech Master

For those that are running 13.5 class with your XB4, what are you running for gearing? I've searched, and seen most are dropping their spur gears down a few teeth. Is this 100% necessary? Can you reach good gearing & speed with the stock spur? If it matters, I have a 2014 xb4. And have a speed passion 13.5 motor I'm throwing in to try the class out.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ezlight
For those that are running 13.5 class with your XB4, what are you running for gearing? I've searched, and seen most are dropping their spur gears down a few teeth. Is this 100% necessary? Can you reach good gearing & speed with the stock spur? If it matters, I have a 2014 xb4. And have a speed passion 13.5 motor I'm throwing in to try the class out.
I don't run 13.5 in wheeler but I run 17.5 in 2wd buggy and usually you can get the same or nearly the same gear ratios with the larger spur, but going to the smaller one will change motor position. so you could get the motor a little closer to the center of the chassis with the smaller spur, since balance and weight is more critical with 17.5 & 13.5 classes.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by John.C
The part # for the medium side pods (XRA361265) was readily available. Does anyone have the part # for the medium chassis brace/s?
Composite chassis brace Front - Medium #361294
Composite chassis brace Rear - Medium #361295

Should be in stock with distributors/dealers that ordered when they first became available

Bent
Old 11-12-2015, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

As you can see in my photo I'm running my wires under the front brace but with the motor in rear position it comes up 5mm short so the wires keep piping out, i was wondering if you (bentka) could give me a suggestion what to do cause at the moment if they pop out they will go straight into my spur gear which will eventually lead to a DNF or even worse a short circuit. Thanks in advance.

You don't want to swap out for thinner and more flexible wires ?

We use thinner and more flexible 13ga ORCA wire (TQ Racing also have this) and direct the wires straight out from the esc instead of straight up.

The thinner and more flexible wire also don't have any pull to them so they stay in place.

Bent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.