Search
Like Tree246Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 05:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by randy0025
sorry for mmy anger but this is BS. I have had my xb4 spec 14 since it came out abd really love it besides the rear diff going out every other week if not every week. Im sick of spending 25 plus dollars on parts that or xrays issues. I have had 5 people buy the kit because I let them drive mine and talked it up and they are having the same issues as me. You guys (XRAY) have been saying since NOV 25 of 2013 that you were making Metal gears to fix your mistake of graphite gears. I have emailed you guys twice now over the last 4 months and have not gotta anything back but "there is not set date yet"

please someone just give me a answer so I where do go from here. sorry If I hit a nerve with someone, but I over a year and half later and nothing when they know people aare blowing them left and right.
I also had the same issue until I got my slipper right! After that, smooth sailing!
Until 2 weeks ago I had been running the same diff gears for over a year without fail until I took a head on shot from an 1/8 ebuggy at full tilt when he crossed into the front straight! Wouldn't even think of dumping my xb4 for anything else...
Old 08-12-2014, 05:45 PM
TV
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The gears are not bulletproof, but they certainly aren't paper mache either. With a little bit of love, it's pretty easy to get a lot of time out of them.

First off, check your slipper. If you have the original XB4 kit, swap out the black slipper pads for the gold SLS ones, they're significantly better. Hold both rear tires and punch the throttle, and the front tires should lift off the table a little bit, and you should hear the slipper whine plenty as it slips.

I run a few small shims behind the pinion gear to push out the pinion and make a larger contact patch for the gears. Every ring/pinion pair is different, so check the backlash when you put it together, and add a shim on the gear side of the diff if it's loose. With new gears, there won't be any backlash, but after a few packs, there should be a very small back and forth tick when shimmed properly. Also, always grease the gears. Either graphite grease, or clear silicone grease. Lastly, and least popular, if you strip one gear, replace both. If you just replace the stripped one, you kind of have a time bomb on your hands with the other. Start from scratch with fresh gears, and you'll have better luck. Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

With the tire vendors all seem to be moving to 2.4" tires, what is everyone doing for adapters since most of them do not have 14mm hexes.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:16 PM
TV
Tech Adept

Exotek makes hexes with the correct offset to use 12mm wheels. JC might as well.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by asc6000
You can be smug about it if you want but I don't understand why you don't acknowledge that there YOUR experiences are not what MANY people go through and that there is a simple solution if they so CHOOSE to use it. If you don;t choose to use it then why cut it down for everyone else ? Don't you see all these people posting about their problem ? Why do you want to deny them a solution is boggling.
My car works great.
Just learn to properly setup, adjust and maintain your XB4 (slipper) and you will have no problems with your gears or slipper

It's not about being smug, it's about sharing experiences and telling users what DO work from years of our own experience and that of the factory team.

When you constantly keep stripping gears you are doing something wrong.

We always change the setting going from dirt to clay to astro and then carpet with slicks and additive.....if not we would strip gears like everyone else.

Learning to set your slipper correctly according to grip level will also make you faster and smoother.

And as Tyler says if you DO strip a pinion gear you should always change the diff bevel gear as well as it will already have significant wear.

Bent

Last edited by BentKa; 08-12-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BentKa
Just learn to properly setup, adjust and maintain your XB4 (slipper) and you will have no problems with your gears or slipper

It's not about being smug, it's about sharing experiences and telling users what DO work from years of our own experience and that of the factory team.

Bent
no where near as helpfull as the tlr reps in the scte thread but at least TV had some good helpfull tips
Old 08-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BDRMBULLY
no where near as helpfull as the tlr reps in the scte thread but at least TV had some good helpfull tips
There are already tons of threads and videos on how to adjust and set a slipper clutch.

But if you keep having problems with stripping gears after setting the slipper correctly and running fresh gears inspect the bulkhead for wear.
The area where the bearings for the pinion gear/center drive shaft are seated may be getting "worn".
If so a fresh bulkhead will solve your problems.

Same thing with busted bearings which will also create enough movement to strip gears.

Have seen both first hand on XB4's with a lot of use on them.

Bent
Old 08-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

this is from my buddy's 2wd xb4/2.. I had to share. This was from tonight at our carpet race

WOW....
Attached Thumbnails Xray XB4 thread-xray1.jpg   Xray XB4 thread-xray2.jpg  
Old 08-12-2014, 10:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I like it
Old 08-12-2014, 10:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by joeymdz
this is from my buddy's 2wd xb4/2.. I had to share. This was from tonight at our carpet race

WOW....
Luxury
Old 08-13-2014, 02:10 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TV
Exotek makes hexes with the correct offset to use 12mm wheels. JC might as well.
Exotek 12mm hexes for rear of the car make the car width way different than with Xray wheels and hexes. It is more wider and barely goes in the box.
This is with AE/JC B4.2/B5 hex wheels.

I think that the JC 12mm hexes keep the rear about the same width like stock Xray wheels and hexes because JC ones look narrower than Exotek's.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:12 AM
Boz
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joeymdz

WOW....
Snap....

At least he didn't break any gears.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Oasis
Gearing for a 7.5..any starting point would be good..thanks for any help..
I've used 81/21 and some turbo for the straight. But if you run tires like Minipins that don't expand on straights, longer gearing is needed.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by asc6000
You can be smug about it if you want but I don't understand why you don't acknowledge that there YOUR experiences are not what MANY people go through and that there is a simple solution if they so CHOOSE to use it. If you don;t choose to use it then why cut it down for everyone else ? Don't you see all these people posting about their problem ? Why do you want to deny them a solution is boggling.
My car works great.
Smug or not, you must also realize the very same thing - most people do not have these problems. Some do. The vast majority does not.

So where is the problem most likely to be?

The amount of abuse I've given my xb4s is insane and they hold up very, very well. With a properly set slipper I've yet to have any problems with the diffs and any related gears. I didn't even have to rebuild or change anything after 3 weeks of daily practicing of 5-6 hours before the norwegian nationals, nor have I had to change anything after said nationals.

I'm not saying you and others aren't experiencing problems, but you must realize you're in the minority here and thus try to figure out what's the cause.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

He isn't in the minority everyone I know who owns a xb4 and have raced with I have seen them replace diff gears at a race. The buggy should have never came with composite gears in the first place. My gears haven't came apart because I put metals ones in before I started racing. There is a problem and it's composite gears inside a diff in an off road buggy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.