Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree246Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 11:59 PM
Tech Regular

I just bought the aluminium shock caps to get rid of the leaking.
They do hold up much better, but they still leak through the bleed screw when under pressure. How do you make it completely sealed?
Old 06-27-2014, 09:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kaan
I just bought the aluminium shock caps to get rid of the leaking.
They do hold up much better, but they still leak through the bleed screw when under pressure. How do you make it completely sealed?
What brand? I currently have the Exotek caps arriving any day and thought they came with o-rings to seal up the bleeder screws.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by suzukipro
What brand? I currently have the Exotek caps arriving any day and thought they came with o-rings to seal up the bleeder screws.
The xray ones. They are holding up great for me, got them more around more than a year now. No leaks from the bleeder holes at least. Oil comes out clean and fresh every rebuild (2-3 races).
Old 06-27-2014, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I use the Exotek bleeder caps and they're perfect. No leaks anywhere. Worth every penny.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by HeavyD99
I use the Exotek bleeder caps and they're perfect. No leaks anywhere. Worth every penny.
Mine just arrived in the mail today, but I've yet to install them. Glad to hear they are a good fit as their other option parts are also well crafted!
Old 06-27-2014, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Talking fans - here's mine. Yeah Racing fan, 30mm, Shoe Goo'd to the chassis and soldered directly to the ESC to get the 7v worth of cooling power - otherwise if hooked up to the receiver it does not spin as fast/cool as well.

Sorry - I saved it right side up but once uploaded into photobucket is reverted back to this - how does one fix this?

Last edited by HeavyD99; 06-28-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HeavyD99
Talking fans - here's mine. 3 Racing fan, 30mm, soldered directly to the ESC to get the 7v worth of cooling power - otherwise if hooked up to the receiver it does not spin as fast/cool as well.

Sorry - I saved it right side up but once uploaded into photobucket is reverted back to this - how does one fix this?

That is basically the same way I mounted mine. Seems to work pretty good like that.

I also shoe goo the fan wires right up to the board where they connect. I find it helps support the connection a little better. In my experiences most fans die because of the hard wire connection to the fan circuit board breaking.
Attached Thumbnails Xray XB4 thread-xb4.jpg  

Last edited by fullout; 06-27-2014 at 09:03 PM. Reason: addition
Old 06-28-2014, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

So quick questions for you guys

Im running a 2014 model and im having no issue with internal diff gears at all ...However i am having a huge issue with the pinion gear stripping out just as of lately ...I have ran many runs on the car before just lately having this issue ....So i think in my mind that the ring and pinion are getting there gear mesh through the diff housing as there are no shims on the ring and pinion ...is this correct ?
Also after having initially locktited the pinion gear screw and having no real issue for many runs my screw backs out and stripped pinion .....so i replace the ring and pinion and re locktite the screw ...thining ok well the locktite loosened up no big deal .....then another stripped pinion same issue screw is backing out so please help understand if maybe i am doing something wrong ?
So today i had to replace the pinion as a result of this issue and decided well lets just use some losi ca glue thinking i didnt have time for locktite to cure .....same issue ??????????? would you guys think possibley red locktite given more than 24 hours to dry would be a solution ? i really love this car one of the best i have ever driven ...please help to understand if im doing things correctly because in my mind i am doing all i can

also currently running slipper a little looser than recomended setting just to see ...but honestly i think it is just the pinion screw loosening up

thanks guys in advance for the help

p.s. i would give anything for some eclips on that pinion right about now
Old 06-28-2014, 11:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by zixxer
So quick questions for you guys

Im running a 2014 model and im having no issue with internal diff gears at all ...However i am having a huge issue with the pinion gear stripping out just as of lately ...I have ran many runs on the car before just lately having this issue ....So i think in my mind that the ring and pinion are getting there gear mesh through the diff housing as there are no shims on the ring and pinion ...is this correct ?
Also after having initially locktited the pinion gear screw and having no real issue for many runs my screw backs out and stripped pinion .....so i replace the ring and pinion and re locktite the screw ...thining ok well the locktite loosened up no big deal .....then another stripped pinion same issue screw is backing out so please help understand if maybe i am doing something wrong ?
So today i had to replace the pinion as a result of this issue and decided well lets just use some losi ca glue thinking i didnt have time for locktite to cure .....same issue ??????????? would you guys think possibley red locktite given more than 24 hours to dry would be a solution ? i really love this car one of the best i have ever driven ...please help to understand if im doing things correctly because in my mind i am doing all i can

also currently running slipper a little looser than recomended setting just to see ...but honestly i think it is just the pinion screw loosening up

thanks guys in advance for the help

p.s. i would give anything for some eclips on that pinion right about now
Make sure you coat the setscrew threads (I'd stick with blue Loctite) and then tighten it in the pinion using a good allen/hex wrench. Loctite came and did a demo at my place of employment and the tech stated that it hardens when there is an absence of air, I'd make sure to let it sit long enough to harden up. The other thing to look at would be the mesh for the pinion & spur gears, hopefully not too loose / not too tight. Sometimes people use a piece of paper between the two gears to set the mesh depth correctly.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is the fan setup I've got in my son's car.
I really like the spec-r fan mount. Makes it really easy to take the fan out or replace it if needed.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by suzukipro
Make sure you coat the setscrew threads (I'd stick with blue Loctite) and then tighten it in the pinion using a good allen/hex wrench. Loctite came and did a demo at my place of employment and the tech stated that it hardens when there is an absence of air, I'd make sure to let it sit long enough to harden up. The other thing to look at would be the mesh for the pinion & spur gears, hopefully not too loose / not too tight. Sometimes people use a piece of paper between the two gears to set the mesh depth correctly.
ok thanks bro but i was talking about the ring and pinion in the diff housing on the front of the car not the spur gear and pinion but thanks for the locktite info .......
any body else ?
Old 06-29-2014, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by zixxer
ok thanks bro but i was talking about the ring and pinion in the diff housing on the front of the car not the spur gear and pinion but thanks for the locktite info .......
any body else ?
Make sure there is no oil in the threads on the screw or shaft. Loctite doesn't work well if the surface isn't clean.

When I built my car the diffs didn't need any shimming but after a while they got a little bit of play and I blew out a rear ring gear. After shimming them I haven't had any problems and I run on super high bite with a 5.5 and the slipper pretty tight.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Like what I've read so far. Anyone selling a new in box xb4 I'm looking
Old 06-30-2014, 12:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello anyone allready test xb4 with shorty? Or it's possible convert to shorty?
I have a friend that put yokomo metal dif gear/pinion, it's simple conversion.

Tnks
Old 06-30-2014, 04:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brnantunes
Hello anyone allready test xb4 with shorty? Or it's possible convert to shorty?
I have a friend that put yokomo metal dif gear/pinion, it's simple conversion.

Tnks
metal gears? details please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.