Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree246Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 01:11 PM
reg
Tech Adept

which is which with regards to the gears?
is the sun the large center gear and the planet the four the goes round the large one,iv fitted the washers on the four gears as per manual

with regards to the gear box cracking,would leaving the carbon brace front screws help to stop this,it lets the front flex a bit,
Old 12-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Cannot understand all the broken parts.

none here broke diff-gears or something. Slipper settings were around 5.7 to 6.3, Tires were Mini-pin on high-traction carpet.

Especially the last day with many beginners on the track and plenty of full speed crashes on the straight was very extreme. Only part I was able to break was a ball-cup by landing upside-down on a vertically mounted board at a table.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default xb4 fix!!!

guys i made some parts for mine sat. raced it all day with no problems at all. it will fix the rear shock tower problem and front bulkhead problem. i cant post pics yet. planning on getting a bunch made and having them for sale soon and cheap. just have to find a place that can make me a bunch cheap. trying to get the parts around the 35 dollar range for both front and rear fixes. will keep u all posted on the progress. As far as diffs. shim both sides of your diff at least .01 shims. steps on page 6 of the manual after u add the big washer that covers the o ring. add a .01 mm shim then put in the pin. repeat on the opposite side.
other than that car is awesome guys!!! i let our fastest guy drive it and he was faster with this car then his own. plus track was at it worst of the day. we water our indoor track between rounds. he drove it about a hour after racing had finished for the day and track was super dry. still his fast laps and normal lap times were faster than his car.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:46 PM
reg
Tech Adept

Thanks mixedguy,time for a diff strip
Old 12-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by mixedguy
guys i made some parts for mine sat. raced it all day with no problems at all. it will fix the rear shock tower problem and front bulkhead problem. i cant post pics yet. planning on getting a bunch made and having them for sale soon and cheap. just have to find a place that can make me a bunch cheap. trying to get the parts around the 35 dollar range for both front and rear fixes. will keep u all posted on the progress.
Cool! ill be the first to order!

My back diff stripped aswell.. will be shimming!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default TSR SHOCK TOWERS WORK

I ran my TSR towers today. I took 2 tumbles that would have broken the stock towers, came out unscathed. I did wind up putting the NT1 gears in the rear. The car feels solid now.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:07 PM
reg
Tech Adept

could anyone in the uk give me a part number for the shims,cant find anything,
thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Has anyone tried doubling up on rear shock towers? Would it fit?
Old 12-30-2012, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

Well me and Tim g made are debut this weekend at thunder tiosc championship in tenn. 146 entries around 30 in 4wd I qualified 5 we had 4 xb4 in main .. There was 2 that broke rear towers at ball studs . Top notch drivers and one was even the tq Dan Reno . The car is awesome with a little tweaking though.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asc6000
With a new car I'll just make some casual laps checking trims etc and just driving around and NOT worry about how "fast" it is or whatever. Spend a whole pack never going full blast, stopping every 5-10 laps to check and set things, 10-15 minutes.
yea well that lasted about three laps and I had the hammer down the rest of the time. 2 runs, uber smooth, drove like a winner from the get go. It's not perfect but it is damn nice. My first Xray but not my first 4wd (Dogfighter!) and I've had a bunch in between and this one is to me a bit of a landmark. Time will tell. My ZX5FS2 is getting cheaper by the minute check the FS thread.

Originally Posted by frito
The car is awesome with a little tweaking though.
yea man x that
oh and I moved the servo back to balance
yea yea , they know better than me but it's just two hole and I can move it back so stfu : )

please forgive the wad of wires , I was rushing too much today
TEST EDIT

Last edited by asc6000; 10-14-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Smile

Originally Posted by asc6000
yea well that lasted about three laps and I had the hammer down the rest of the time. 2 runs, uber smooth, drove like a winner from the get go. It's not perfect but it is damn nice. My first Xray but not my first 4wd (Dogfighter!) and I've had a bunch in between and this one is to me a bit of a landmark. Time will tell. My ZX5FS2 is getting cheaper by the minute check the FS thread.

yea man x that
oh and I moved the servo back to balance
yea yea , they know better than me but it's just two hole and I can move it back so stfu : )

please forgive the wad of wires , I was rushing too much today
plzzzz u spent some time on the wiring job, looks good though
Old 12-31-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Addict

After waiting since Dec 8th, my XB4 is on the truck for delivery today! I believe I should have it buttoned up by afternoon tomorrow. I'm seriously thinking about skipping the NYE parties that I was going to to get it finished. I want to hit the track Tue.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

are the kyosho big bores a direct snap on? I do not like xrays 1/8 shocks as well so I am going to put them aside. I am asking about the length etc, any special mounting instructions.

My theory is, knowing xray, the shock caps are tough as heck, as strong as aluminum, so instead of deforming a bit, all the engergy goes to the towers. Using thinner K plastic tops, I will test it out . On another note, think yesterday had the longest roll ever in my scte, swear to god it was rolling for around 10 seconds or so, so I will be a good tester for the xb4 :P
Old 12-31-2012, 11:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by frito
Well me and Tim g made are debut this weekend at thunder tiosc championship in tenn. 146 entries around 30 in 4wd I qualified 5 we had 4 xb4 in main .. There was 2 that broke rear towers at ball studs . Top notch drivers and one was even the tq Dan Reno . The car is awesome with a little tweaking though.
Yep, the car is very good. We put 4 XB4's in the A w/a respectable field of almost 40 wheelers. Kind of a bummer that 2 of us broke. Mine was the rear tower @ the camber link on the left. Scott's was the rear tower @ the camber link on the right. 2 diferent spots on the track. We were both qualified in the top 3. Not any major crashes, just landed on the rear @ a slight angle. I am even running an 8.5 turned down to 85% throttle(small track). Disapointing finish to a great weekend of raceing.

But I'm sure Xray will be working on it. However, in the mean time, thanks to TSR, hopefully we won't have much down time. Hope the 4mm tower does the trick!!!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aloksatoor
are the kyosho big bores a direct snap on? I do not like xrays 1/8 shocks as well so I am going to put them aside. I am asking about the length etc, any special mounting instructions.

My theory is, knowing xray, the shock caps are tough as heck, as strong as aluminum, so instead of deforming a bit, all the engergy goes to the towers. Using thinner K plastic tops, I will test it out . On another note, think yesterday had the longest roll ever in my scte, swear to god it was rolling for around 10 seconds or so, so I will be a good tester for the xb4 :P
The Kyosho bb's have both short and long tops and bottom eyelets, with both the tall top and the long eyelet these are the approximate measurements. No bump stops or limiters.Also one tiny thing, the xray upper mount bolt that is shouldered is fat so the Kyosho ends fit way tight.
Kyosho Xray
compressed length eye to eye 57mm 54mm
extended length eye to eye 76 76
shock travel 19 22
It looks close on the car and I am a big Kyosho big bore fan and as was dissappointed in the Xray shocks during the build, but I was impressed by their performance. The shafts seemed leaky loose when I built them but after running they were no leaks at the shaft and only a tiny bit on one cap.
I'm gonna keep running the Xray shocks.

fwiw The only other issue I had during the initial run was a tiny bit of a leak from the front left diff/bearing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.