Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 03:44 AM
Tech Addict

True, but I think I'd wait for a Q1/Q2 2013 batch if I was to get 1
Old 12-24-2012, 04:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I understand cutting cost. But the most important parts are breaking 1st day out. When I read post after post about gears and shock towers I have to begin to feel its more than driver error.

Only good news is the kit is good for a few packs. Xray said the slipper needed to be loose to save the pinions and its all the other gears.

I wanted to try this kit for the quality of it not to work on it all the time spending who knows how much just to keep it running.

Looking to see what Xray has to say about this. Aside from run the slipper loose.....
Old 12-24-2012, 04:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 259 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
They should have put out a kit with the bullet proof stuff on it. I'll be damned if I spend more money on bullet proofing it before letting it fail first. That would be another 70.00 front and rear. Then modding it right out of the box? No Thanx. I will wait for the second round/updated kit before that.
Maybe a US kit?
The shocks could be fixed with a little Black AE grease on the threads. If I wanted to spend 500 + on this kit I would get an 1/8th scale and be ready for outdoor racing.
I'm sure I will still try it out seems how I am committed. Just a bit worried. Starting to look like a bottomless pit to me.
Gotta agree with your statement! Xray is known for building high quality products but the shock tower and diff issues are unacceptable. This car has only been out a week and too many failures have been noted in these two areas. Seems like they should have opened up their development testing to other parts of the world where the product will be used. That would have exposed these issues earlier. Xray needs to realize this and correct it immediately!

I already have one of these coming and have bought the metal gears in advance. The shock towers will get the washer treatment also. That's shameful! Now, I will be extremely careful when driving this car in fear of breaking it. NOT WHY I BUY XRAY!
Old 12-24-2012, 05:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 4mm XB4 carbon fiber shock towers?

I forgot to mention that I am THE OFFICIAL DURABILITY TESTER for Mikes Hobby Shop. If there is a week point in a car, I will find it.
I have spoken to Wes at Out Front Frames about making some 4mm towers with more meat around the camber link area.
Show of hands, how many of you would buy upgraded towers so he can decide how many to make for a 1st production run?
Old 12-24-2012, 05:24 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi b
I forgot to mention that I am THE OFFICIAL DURABILITY TESTER for Mikes Hobby Shop. If there is a week point in a car, I will find it.
I have spoken to Wes at Out Front Frames about making some 4mm towers with more meat around the camber link area.
Show of hands, how many of you would buy upgraded towers so he can decide how many to make for a 1st production run?
+1 .....although you can just run double towers. 6mm of tower that will fix it
Old 12-24-2012, 05:25 AM
Tech Adept

There are 3 things i would change on the car.

1: Steelgears inside the diff (pinion and crowngear looks fine after 3 days on carpet with a lot of traction and a 5.5t motor, would ofcourse liked those in steel to ) I have no extra shims in the diff...

2: 4mm shocktowers

3: A stronger mount for the front tower so it wont break like in the picture.

Besides from thar the car will take alot of abuse without breaking.
Will not even consider going back to the dingo 410, that thing broke just sitting on the bench........
Attached Thumbnails Xray XB4 thread-dsc01577.jpg  
Old 12-24-2012, 05:27 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by GS76
I believe the NT1 diff internals will help. The car is awesome to drive, very similiar to the Durango, I had a while ago. Trust me this is still a great deal less issues then the original Durango. We were fixing more than just the transmission.

I am very optimistic about the car.
The v3 durango has been great. But thats v3. Is xray gonna fix the issue or have a xb4.1 or v2
Old 12-24-2012, 09:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+1 ill buy a set of towers
Old 12-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Does anyone in the US have the metal diff gears in stock? And, is it just the 335030 gears I need, or do I have to use different cross shafts too?
Old 12-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Tech Addict

I enjoy others feedback, but I never pass judgement until I'VE built and driven a car. I'm very optimistic about this car and can't wait till I get mine. FWIW, as far as what others have said, it seems like there are 3 suspect parts. That's fine with me. I'll change or upgrade those if need be. And for those that this is the first wheeler you'll be racing, understand that this class is the F1 of RC in my opinion and you get more breaks in wheeler than any other class (offroad). Just my 2 cents. FWIW2: if it is your first time racing wheeler, do yourself a favor and don't go lower than an 8.5 motor.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

So what motor and pinion gear combos is everyone running? Have been looking at 7.5's or 8.5's.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi b
I would like one. He can use my towers if he needs a reference.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Confused how could u not expect to break or damage anything
Simple fix don't hit anything
When I run 1/8 onroad n hit something I expect it to break something at the speed that were going
Old 12-24-2012, 11:19 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by GMartinez
Confused how could u not expect to break or damage anything
Simple fix don't hit anything
When I run 1/8 onroad n hit something I expect it to break something at the speed that were going
What happens when the new guy jumps the triple and lands on my shock tower and it breaks, huh? Cant avoid that. Then what? What happens when the new guy spins out in front of me and decides to try to avoid me but pulls in my line and breaks shock tower. Then what? still confused?

Your post was rediculous at best in a off road forum

Pulling out the dont hit anything and you wont break with your almost 6000 posts....ROFLMAO
Old 12-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jamison R
What happens when the new guy jumps the triple and lands on my shock tower and it breaks, huh? Cant avoid that. Then what? What happens when the new guy spins out in front of me and decides to try to avoid me but pulls in my line and breaks shock tower. Then what? still confused?

Your post was rediculous at best in a off road forum

Pulling out the dont hit anything and you wont break with your almost 6000 posts....ROFLMAO
I think you should just focus on your driving. What happens if you go to cross the street and get hit by a bus? What ifs are just speculation. No need to be mean about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.