Like Tree114Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Old 07-12-2017, 05:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

Anyone running the composite pinion and diff gear?...I just installed them..just wondering how there holding up....I'll be running on a carpet track
Thanks
Old 07-13-2017, 07:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

Found my info
Thanks
Old 07-16-2017, 11:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ran my 16 xb4 w/ medium plastics on some outdoor clay yesterday. Track was hard packed w/ dust and wouldn't form any kind of blue/black groove. I ran the Tessman desert classic set up that I was advised to use in this thread. Not the whole set up but most of it (not the same diff fluids/ran a center diff/few other things). Car was pretty darn great, rear end was almost too hooked up when tires were hooking up good. I have my servo speed turned way down and expo's turned way down. Car was super easy to drive and could of probably been on pace w/ the leader in the right hands. Best outdoor experience so far w/ a 4wd buggy. Bumped up to the A finished 6th, first time running at that track. As normal no breakages
Sean B. and Phillip F like this.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default Need Steel Drive and differential bevel gears

Running on turf and despite having the slipper setting to the manual specs, I think the slipper was too tight and my drive and diff bevel gears are starting to grind. I have the slipper set as loose as it will allow and I still don't really feel it slipping. That being said, the steel bevel drive (X-RAY 365134) and steel bevel diff gear (XRA364955) are out of stock everywhere. Anyone know where I can order them in the U.S.

On a related note, another XB4 driver at this track said he had to sand his slipper spring down on each end in order to get it short eniugh for full adjustment so that it could be set to slip. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 07-16-2017, 02:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Have tried squeezing the spring with pliers? Mine is set all the way loose and it slips just right, but it was not slipping that good at first.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wease View Post
Running on turf and despite having the slipper setting to the manual specs, I think the slipper was too tight and my drive and diff bevel gears are starting to grind. I have the slipper set as loose as it will allow and I still don't really feel it slipping. That being said, the steel bevel drive (X-RAY 365134) and steel bevel diff gear (XRA364955) are out of stock everywhere. Anyone know where I can order them in the U.S.

On a related note, another XB4 driver at this track said he had to sand his slipper spring down on each end in order to get it short eniugh for full adjustment so that it could be set to slip. Has anyone else experienced this?
Xray 365134 steel bevel drive gear 14t
XRA364955 XRAY XB4 Steel Differential Bevel Gear 35T | eBay
Old 07-16-2017, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Anyone interested in a super duper fully loaded XB4 pm me.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Medium plastics

Do you really notice the difference between running medium chass guards and medium chassis braces as oposed to running the hard plastics?

Originally Posted by racingnewb View Post
Ran my 16 xb4 w/ medium plastics on some outdoor clay yesterday. Track was hard packed w/ dust and wouldn't form any kind of blue/black groove. I ran the Tessman desert classic set up that I was advised to use in this thread. Not the whole set up but most of it (not the same diff fluids/ran a center diff/few other things). Car was pretty darn great, rear end was almost too hooked up when tires were hooking up good. I have my servo speed turned way down and expo's turned way down. Car was super easy to drive and could of probably been on pace w/ the leader in the right hands. Best outdoor experience so far w/ a 4wd buggy. Bumped up to the A finished 6th, first time running at that track. As normal no breakages
Old 07-16-2017, 09:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Do you really notice the difference between running medium chass guards and medium chassis braces as oposed to running the hard plastics?
Flex creates grip.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I run on a wet dirt track. I ran my buggy with all hard plastics and was washing out every time I turn a corner. I started changing parts to medium. First, the arms... worked but need more flex to get traction... took out 2 screws from the center brace..... better.... changed the side guards to medium.....works now.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I ran the hard plastics during the winter on indoor med/high grip. Right before outdoor season started I put the medium plastics on. So I never tried hard plastics outdoors. I started outdoor season w/ 500k in the center and it was close to a 2wd. I lowered the center diff fluid 90% thinner and I have plenty of drive out of turns/ tires wear evenly. A team driver told me to lower the diff fluid to close to single digits and thicker in the rear then the front. He said it will sound crazy but do it and he was right car is hooked up.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tripple View Post
Anyone running the composite pinion and diff gear?...I just installed them..just wondering how there holding up....I'll be running on a carpet track
Thanks
I will be running on clay. Curious if these do hold up with the center slipper???

I plan on running 13.5 mainly. Maybe some mod.

Thx!
Old 07-19-2017, 12:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skrichter View Post
I will be running on clay. Curious if these do hold up with the center slipper???

Thx!
They hold up fine in 13.5. I would not go crazy in mod with them
skrichter likes this.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skrichter View Post

Thx!
I run them in mine with a 5.5 and 1million in the center diff. They held up all last season at Innovative, a bit lower traction than you have at Dirt Heaven but you should be fine.
skrichter likes this.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmcelroy42 View Post
I run them in mine with a 5.5 and 1million in the center diff. They held up all last season at Innovative, a bit lower traction than you have at Dirt Heaven but you should be fine.
Depending on the bulkhead fit sometimes adding a shim behind the composite pinion helps prevent any issues with the ring / pinion.
skrichter likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service