Like Tree134Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Old 04-13-2017, 07:03 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dinosback View Post
Is there a option to remove the servo saver for the 17 model?
XB4'2016-15 STEERING CRANK SET , ALLOY - Exotek Racing
Old 04-13-2017, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmcelroy42 View Post
I have been using those offsets for AE wheels, and I was under the assumption that I was running stock widths. but I fear I may be wrong now lol.
Originally Posted by jmcelroy42 View Post
Yes I have been using AE offset front and rear (DE wheels actually). Using 1 stripe hex's front 2 stripe rear.
So am I way off from stock offsets with this setup?
Old 04-15-2017, 12:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello guys!
Ive been ripin and enjoying my '17 for 2months+ , been playing on our private astroturf track but we all have a similar problem with the astroturf on xrays.
The astro got some kind of sand in it and it destroys our cvd's + shaft joints.
Yesterday the pin from the central shaft joint ripped appart and i ended up playin 2WD for a few seconds without noticing it.
Does anyone have the same issues with cvds and shaft joints on dirt or astro?
The pins get destroyed so do the holes on the shaft joints.
Any Advice? Its getting really annoying plus the shaft joints are not a cheap fix also
Old 04-15-2017, 06:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grifind View Post
Hello guys!
Ive been ripin and enjoying my '17 for 2months+ , been playing on our private astroturf track but we all have a similar problem with the astroturf on xrays.
The astro got some kind of sand in it and it destroys our cvd's + shaft joints.
Yesterday the pin from the central shaft joint ripped apart and i ended up playin 2WD for a few seconds without noticing it.
Does anyone have the same issues with cvds and shaft joints on dirt or astro?
The pins get destroyed so do the holes on the shaft joints.
Any Advice? Its getting really annoying plus the shaft joints are not a cheap fix also
About the only thing that might help prolong their life is to clean and regrease the CVD's more often. Replace the 2x10mm pins as they start to wear and the 3mm pins (i use mugen replacements) that engage the outdrive can be replaced if you get a tool to press/hammer them out.

The ECS shafts require even more attention and their components wear out even faster than the standard shafts at a high replacement cost.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Xb4 17 kit springs

Just noticed after building my kit, front springs that I have is 3 dot only rear is 2 dot, I looked in the extra spring for high traction that the kit came and its the same 3 and 2. Manual states 2 dot front and rear, error in manual?
Old 04-15-2017, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey guys,

Just raced my xb4 2017 on turf for the first time the other day, I have to say I really like the way this car drives, so much so that my new B64 is going up for sale.

I do have a few questions though, hoping that somebody can give me some guidance on these.

1) my left rear driveshaft seems to almost want to pop out of the outdrive when the suspension is at full droop. The right side seems to be fine. I remember reading that there was an issue with machining on the rear suspension blocks, but I thought that was back in 2015? Is this still an issue on the 2017's? Can I correct it by simply using different inserts on that side?

2) I just purchased the Hudy off-road set up station (108925), but I noticed in the notes for the station that it says in order to use this on the XB4 that you need to buy some shims for the rear axles (108928). Just wondering if this note is for one of the older models, or if I still need to buy the shims for the 2017 model?

3) any feedback on the 12 caster blocks for those running on turf? I see a note on the first page saying that the 12 caster blocks are really good for turf, but wondering if that's an old note or if it's still applies to the 2017 model. We have a few guys at the track who are running the stock 9 caster blocks, but I would like to put an aluminum set on there.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-15-2017, 11:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stinger84 View Post
Just noticed after building my kit, front springs that I have is 3 dot only rear is 2 dot, I looked in the extra spring for high traction that the kit came and its the same 3 and 2. Manual states 2 dot front and rear, error in manual?
I think both sets of springs that come with the 2017 kit are marked 3 dot / 2 dot. The difference in those sets is the overall length of the spring, one set is shorter than the other.

I think I read somewhere that the shorter springs are for high traction, but they also seem to be softer than the longer Springs. That doesn't really make sense to me, you would think that the springs for a higher traction would be stiffer.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tobey457 View Post
I think both sets of springs that come with the 2017 kit are marked 3 dot / 2 dot. The difference in those sets is the overall length of the spring, one set is shorter than the other.

I think I read somewhere that the shorter springs are for high traction, but they also seem to be softer than the longer Springs. That doesn't really make sense to me,
you would think that the springs for a higher traction would be stiffer.
Thanks, what is a good alternative spring and piston for xb4? Read about avid pistons but out of stock. I run on clay medium bite, with big jumps and My chassi slaps all the time with the stock set up
Old 04-16-2017, 07:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ran my new XB4 yesterday. Just because I already had them mounted, and it was probably the last ozite race before going to turf, I ran tires wheels off my 22-4. Yeah I know they're the wrong offset, but, it was still miles better of a car.

Anyway, twice I lost a left front wheel. The first time, which happened to be the second/last heat, I considered bad luck. I double checked all wheel nuts before the main, and still lost the same wheel in the main.

Can I attribute this the the TLR wheels? Should I put a dabout of Loctite on them? Anyone ever had similar issues?
Old 04-17-2017, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Just picked one of these up! Super thrilled on the quality of build, subscribing for more info
Old 04-18-2017, 05:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stinger84 View Post
Thanks, what is a good alternative spring and piston for xb4? Read about avid pistons but out of stock. I run on clay medium bite, with big jumps and My chassi slaps all the time with the stock set up
If your not able to get the Avids you can get the Schelle 2x1.6 or even get the Schelle 2x1.6 and then drill your own 1.1 holes.
As for springs I was running 4dot front and 3dot rear on med-high bite clay tracks and with 40wt losi front and 35wt losi rear and not much for chassis slap.

Chances are the spring might be a little soft, so either need to go up in oil or next stiffer spring worked for me.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Do those of you who've switched to TLR wheels up front find that they're more durable? I only have 3 packs through my '17 and both wheels have splits all around the inside of the rims. I'm trying to decide if I want to go with TLR or AE up front. AE looks beefier, but I like that the TLR's are a direct fit.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
Do those of you who've switched to TLR wheels up front find that they're more durable? I only have 3 packs through my '17 and both wheels have splits all around the inside of the rims. I'm trying to decide if I want to go with TLR or AE up front. AE looks beefier, but I like that the TLR's are a direct fit.
I run DE wheels, they have both AE & TLR offsets, I've never had any of them crack.
Jason B likes this.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Any recommendations on the where to get a 2017 XB4 for the best price? AbsoluteHobbyz has them for $489 and they offer a $45 off coupon. Before I pull the trigger, I wanted to see if anyone knew of any better deals.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Amain? I guess it depends on who has the best coupon code. I do like absolute tho, the owners are very helpful to the local racers for part support/delivery to tracks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service