R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree62Likes

Old 01-20-2016, 07:07 AM   #10126
Tech Rookie

BentKa,I set 0 rebound in my shocks with Hudy silicone and put green slime at the o-rings but after a race I have around 50% rebound,why happens this?

Thanks
atipowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:12 AM   #10127
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atipowered View Post
BentKa,I set 0 rebound in my shocks with Hudy silicone and put green slime at the o-rings but after a race I have around 50% rebound,why happens this?

Thanks
This is common with every shock, it's impossible to make a functioning shock that has zero leak. You need to blead excess air or oil from the shocks regularly.
Mikes Hobby Shop
symmetricon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:14 AM   #10128
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsRacin View Post
Gotcha....

Bent
BentKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:14 AM   #10129
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post

What is the difference in the arms?
I can see that the holes are filled in and some more material has been added around the shock mounting screw holes.
The shock mounting holes are moved. Not enough to not run a pair of 15 arms if you have them. I believe it's less than 1mm.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:51 AM   #10130
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentKa View Post
Calm down Chris and read my latest post.

The suspension geometry is different on the '16 arms to match the new geometry of the shock towers.

The new arms are clearly marked with either a "V2" or "Graphite" to differentiate them from the '15 arms.

If the online shop you use choose NOT to label them correctly this is not Xray's fault but purely the responsibility of the said online store.

And an easy way to tell them apart is the '16 arms lack the 4 holes that were used to mount the carbon stiffener plates on the '15 arms.

So if the online store has updated pictures of the parts you would be able to tell them apart.

Same thing if they are located on the parts rack at your LHS.

The "V2" and lack of the 4 holes make them easy to identify as '16 arms.

All parts lists from Xray has the new arms labeled as NEW and updated for the '16 model highlighting the "V2" and "Graphite" marking.

It is the responsibility of the store owner to label them correctly for sale, not Xray's.

IF an online store chooses to sell old arms as new, please let them know so and also be kind enough to report this back to Xray as well.

From left to right: '15 rear arm | '16 rear arm | '16 optional graphite rear arm

Bent

actually bent it is Xray's Fault. Am I mad at them for not changing it, NO. but it would of helped alot of people, mostly online shops and businesses. xray does know how to run a business and knows how business software works, when you are loading part numbers into a system to sell,reorder,or to keep track of (like most big online companies do) it has a area where you load the part number and links it with where you set it up to re-order from. Most systems now a days have a place to add a part number and when the system see's the part is getting low it is designed to order more without the need of someone telling it to. Therefor when you add the part number in the spot you need to, you cant add V2 or anything like that as it wouldnt match what the part number would be from xray or its dealers. As you see in your pic the v2 isnt in the actually part number but in the info of the part which the ordering system cant read.

also lets just be honest, changing to part would have just been a better idea, it is a totally different part and doing so would have been customer friendly, to me its no big deal but i do understand what chris is saying, it can be confusing to some or to someone that is new and doesn't know about the 15spec vs the 16spec.
randy0025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:09 AM   #10131
Tech Elite

Seriously guys, can we move on? The arms were revised, got it, moving one....
Mikes Hobby Shop
symmetricon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:12 AM   #10132
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruption View Post
Yeah ignore my last posted, I've made a lot of changes since then, including taking out the upstops and running 28.5mm on the length of the shaft (bottom of shock body to top of eyelet.

I just ordered the Avid pistons to give that setup a shot. And we've been talking about standing our front shocks up, but the car gets way too aggressive then. May have to change from tires too.

I think you will find that the Avid Pistons (or Schelle as they are half the price and you get 2 fronts and 2 rears instead of 4 fronts and 4 rears from avid) are a big improvement. I would say out of the 8 to 9 xray drivers here locally that 6 to 7 run that 2+2 hole 1.1x1.6 and 1.1x1.7 setup. For me I went up 1 dot in the front and rear shocks and at 32.5f and 30r. either way and whatever you do i would love to hear what you think of the 2+2 pistons.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:21 AM   #10133
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetricon View Post
Seriously guys, can we move on? The arms were revised, got it, moving one....
i didnt mean it to start crap. Bent knows how much he has helpped me and others on here and facebook, just wanted to point out why hobby shops might still be ordering the wrong a arms. because of how there software works. I myself dont have any shops near by that carry them otherwise I would be letting them know. I think maybe some LHS might even know this V1 thing vs V2.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:31 AM   #10134
Tech Adept

Not that it is ANY of my business, but in engineering it is common practice to roll the revision of a part for a minor change. A roll to the part number is reserved for major changes. Obviously in the world of Xray engineering, the V2 is a minor change.
avaldes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:22 AM   #10135
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaldes View Post
Not that it is ANY of my business, but in engineering it is common practice to roll the revision of a part for a minor change. A roll to the part number is reserved for major changes. Obviously in the world of Xray engineering, the V2 is a minor change.

We have 100's of thousands of manufactured parts that we engineer at my employer. We do revisions to parts all the time and keep the same part number as long as the part is functionally interchangeable with the old version with no other changes. In this case it could go either way (new part number or not) and Xray decided to not to change the part number which would indicate to me that the new V2 part is functionally interchangeable with the old one.

It's unfortunate that you would need to change both arms if you break one old one and replace it with one new one but that's the way it was done. And, I would expect that retailers only stock one version of the same part number which would be the V2 version.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:53 AM   #10136
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kuruption

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy0025 View Post
i didnt mean it to start crap. Bent knows how much he has helpped me and others on here and facebook, just wanted to point out why hobby shops might still be ordering the wrong a arms. because of how there software works. I myself dont have any shops near by that carry them otherwise I would be letting them know. I think maybe some LHS might even know this V1 thing vs V2.
I think that if the arms were significantly different, XRAY would have sold them under a different part number. But you're right, it's sometimes hard to shops to know a part changed -- most people didn't even know it in the thread. I know when XRAY made a running change to the tie-rod ends on the XB8 they kept the same part number, and you just had to make sure you were getting the V2 ends.
kuruption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #10137
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaricopaAgent View Post
The shock mounting holes are moved. Not enough to not run a pair of 15 arms if you have them. I believe it's less than 1mm.
They are moved 0.3mm outwards.

Bent
Hiro Seiko | DubiDesign | Maugrafix | YeahRacing | rcMart | LapMonitor | IB Prostart
Follow Malin on Facebook for race reports and setup tips
Old 01-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #10138
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by atipowered View Post

Thanks
We never ever use green slime on the shock o-rings.

Soak them in shock oil for 10.15 minutes before assembly and take care to screw the shock rod through the o-rings (do not push) so as not to damage them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetricon View Post
This is common with every shock, it's impossible to make a functioning shock that has zero leak. You need to blead excess air or oil from the shocks regularly.
All emulsion shocks need air to work or they will lock up and yes you can not make a shock that is 100% air tight.

A simple re-bleed is needed once in a while to keep them perfect

Bent
Hiro Seiko | DubiDesign | Maugrafix | YeahRacing | rcMart | LapMonitor | IB Prostart
Old 01-20-2016, 12:03 PM   #10139
Tech Master

Quote:
actually bent it is Xray's Fault. Am I mad at them for not changing it, NO. but it would of helped alot of people, mostly online shops and businesses. xray does know how to run a business and knows how business software works, when you are loading part numbers into a system to sell,reorder,or to keep track of (like most big online companies do) it has a area where you load the part number and links it with where you set it up to re-order from. Most systems now a days have a place to add a part number and when the system see's the part is getting low it is designed to order more without the need of someone telling it to. Therefor when you add the part number in the spot you need to, you cant add V2 or anything like that as it wouldnt match what the part number would be from xray or its dealers. As you see in your pic the v2 isnt in the actually part number but in the info of the part which the ordering system cant read.

also lets just be honest, changing to part would have just been a better idea, it is a totally different part and doing so would have been customer friendly, to me its no big deal but i do understand what chris is saying, it can be confusing to some or to someone that is new and doesn't know about the 15spec vs the 16spec.
Quote:
Seriously Randy…..is this what you choose to spend your time bitching about

I've run an internet store myself…….selling R/C parts…….and all modern softwares for online shops have the functionality to both add the manufacturer part number and your own in house part number.

And with SmartPhone integration it takes seconds to place the part on the preferred background, snap the picture and add the part number and description.

If the online store is not capable of doing this they are either seriously lazy or just incompetent…….or a combination of both.

I've shown you how the parts are labeled:

And I've told you that on the list sent out to distributors the part is marked "NEW" AND is also featured in its own section of new parts released for a particular model (in this case the XB4 '16).

If your choice of store still can't tell these parts apart I suggest you buy your parts from somebody that does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
We have 100's of thousands of manufactured parts that we engineer at my employer. We do revisions to parts all the time and keep the same part number as long as the part is functionally interchangeable with the old version with no other changes. In this case it could go either way (new part number or not) and Xray decided to not to change the part number which would indicate to me that the new V2 part is functionally interchangeable with the old one.

It's unfortunate that you would need to change both arms if you break one old one and replace it with one new one but that's the way it was done. And, I would expect that retailers only stock one version of the same part number which would be the V2 version.
You don't have to replace both arms.

If you break a '15 arm you buy a new '15 arm to replace it.

If you break a '16 arm you buy a new '16 arm to replace it.

If you CHOOSE to buy a '16 arm for your '15 model (or older) I would suggest changing both

Bent
Old 01-20-2016, 12:07 PM   #10140
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruption View Post
I think that if the arms were significantly different, XRAY would have sold them under a different part number. But you're right, it's sometimes hard to shops to know a part changed -- most people didn't even know it in the thread. I know when XRAY made a running change to the tie-rod ends on the XB8 they kept the same part number, and you just had to make sure you were getting the V2 ends.
The shops gets the lists where the parts are clearly marked as to what model they are for, if they are a new version or a running change for replacement of older parts.

These are the same lists we order our parts from and to date I have never had any problems identifying the parts marked "NEW" or "UPDATED" or that are featured in their own sections with descriptions.

But of course if you are too lazy to read this and just don't care…….then yes it will eventually turn out to be an issue

Bent