Search
Like Tree246Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by randy0025
I would say the 15 is better then the 14 and i have only ran my 15 for 2 races so far. with the shorty setup it seems to fly and jump a hell of alot better. Also seems like I am able to carry more speed into the corner. Now as for the d413( which I had) the xray is light years ahead of it with the center diff installed of course. the D413 has alot of sloop in the steering from the get go brand new and the plastics/ metal are nothing compared to the Hudy steel and xray's plastic. Over all I love my 15 even more and think with the metal gears, shorty and center diff option that it is at the top of its class.

Btw I am running the new Orion R10.1 Pro and had to flip my diffs since for some reason orion didnt have a motor rotation change built into the r10.1 but it is avil in the much older r8 pro. dont make sense but 4 screws and your right into the case, cant get any easier then that. (unlike the d413 which is a pain is the ass to get tot he diffs
yes, the d413 is harder to work on. And i find this car interesting, but with the "optional" center diff, I will was. It is already expensive as hell, I would not fork out another 70 for the center diff. The new HobbyPro looks very interesting though
Old 12-26-2014, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmackani
The shorties in the X-rays seem to be too light for our clay tracks on the east coast with lower traction with a stiff chassis and arms.The xray setup even recommends for clay to run saddles. Too many people in my area think we have high traction and it is far from it. The d413 transfers weight from front to rear like no other 4wd I have seen which tells me the weight bias is different. The shorty with the additional rear chassis stiffener is definitely geared towards higher traction surfaces where you are taking away the chassis flex. The hot bodies seems to get its flex through its a arms rather than the chassis. If you grab their arms without the carbon stiffeners you will see how much they flex. This all helps with traction.
I did own the d413 and it seemed easier to drive than my 14 xray was. I think it was mainly because of center diff. I sold both to get this buggy. I guess I will see how it is this weekend. I left the rear top deck off and you can also remove screw from chassis stiffeners. I don't think the stiffness will hurt. A few local guys are running the 15 and were just as fast with it as the 14. Our tracks aren't super high bite.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by evolution03
I did own the d413 and it seemed easier to drive than my 14 xray was. I think it was mainly because of center diff. I sold both to get this buggy. I guess I will see how it is this weekend. I left the rear top deck off and you can also remove screw from chassis stiffeners. I don't think the stiffness will hurt. A few local guys are running the 15 and were just as fast with it as the 14. Our tracks aren't super high bite.
I think you are in agreement that the 15 car is not making you any faster?
Old 12-27-2014, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmackani
I think you are in agreement that the 15 car is not making you any faster?
I haven't driven it yet just got it built I'm going to run it today for the first time. If it it's as good as my 14 I will be satisfied. I regretted selling it.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey,

I just built my 2015 kit and gave it a first test yesterday. So far really impressive.

I have one question about the shocks though. It is my first Xray 4WD and I built the shocks pritty much in stock setup.

How do you bleed the shocks ? Just like the manual says ? Oil in, wait for any air bubbles, mount upper shock cap, push shock shaft all the way up slowly, mount bleeding scres ?

Any tricks on that ? I did not manage to build a shock with the perfect amount of oil/air yet. Always seems like to much air.

Regards.

Dennis
Old 12-27-2014, 11:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
yes, the d413 is harder to work on. And i find this car interesting, but with the "optional" center diff, I will was. It is already expensive as hell, I would not fork out another 70 for the center diff. The new HobbyPro looks very interesting though
yeah I think rc American said it was 60 bucks for the center diff which they should be sending out any day now. Last I heard it was still waiting to clear customs and that was on the 23rd. I do gotta say that the price for the kit was actually alittle cheaper then I thought it was going to be because of all the extra stuff it already comes with for the 2in1 options. I mean I've got to give xray credit for giving pretty everything and still keeping the price about the same as the last model
Old 12-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

I heard that the XB4 2015 manual has a mistake in it. If this is true, what part of the manual is incorrect? I want to know so I can download and print the correct copy off the Xray website. Thanks
Old 12-28-2014, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

You will see the shocks no O rings for the shaft that works as a bump stop. I think there was one other thing but can't remember off hand. Maybe the drive shafts when setup as a shorty pack. I think I had to flip flop them around from what the manual said.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hellfire
You will see the shocks no O rings for the shaft that works as a bump stop. I think there was one other thing but can't remember off hand. Maybe the drive shafts when setup as a shorty pack. I think I had to flip flop them around from what the manual said.
Thanks again.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I've raced my 2015 in shorty configuration twice thus far. It certainly drives different than my 2014. I built the 2015 to kit specs with the exception that I put 5k in the rear diff instead of the recommended 8k. The 2015 carries more corner speed and it seems because the car just rotates better on and off power. I thought my 2013 car was better than my 2014 and I think the 2015 feels a little closer to my 2013 car, yet better. The rear end of the 2015 car feels more planted to me than my 2014 car especially on power. It will rotate but won't completely lose traction like my 2014 wanted to do. It doesn't feel dramatically better than my 2014, yet my results are dramatically better in both races. The 2015 car kept the heavier yellow slipper pads, but went back to the smaller diameter slipper spring and I think it's much improved! That heavy slipper spring made it more difficult to set the slipper right, it seems like the range of proper setting was narrower with the heavier spring. The smaller spring seems to work really well thus far.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wease
I've raced my 2015 in shorty configuration twice thus far. It certainly drives different than my 2014. I built the 2015 to kit specs with the exception that I put 5k in the rear diff instead of the recommended 8k. The 2015 carries more corner speed and it seems because the car just rotates better on and off power. I thought my 2013 car was better than my 2014 and I think the 2015 feels a little closer to my 2013 car, yet better. The rear end of the 2015 car feels more planted to me than my 2014 car especially on power. It will rotate but won't completely lose traction like my 2014 wanted to do. It doesn't feel dramatically better than my 2014, yet my results are dramatically better in both races. The 2015 car kept the heavier yellow slipper pads, but went back to the smaller diameter slipper spring and I think it's much improved! That heavy slipper spring made it more difficult to set the slipper right, it seems like the range of proper setting was narrower with the heavier spring. The smaller spring seems to work really well thus far.
Are you using the +2 mm rear hangers on both cars?

My 14 has normal and the 15 has +2 from the kit.

I am trying 20k front and 10k rear fluid right now.. Seems damn good. Need to play with the rear mounts some.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MaricopaAgent
Are you using the +2 mm rear hangers on both cars?

My 14 has normal and the 15 has +2 from the kit.

I am trying 20k front and 10k rear fluid right now.. Seems damn good. Need to play with the rear mounts some.
I'm using the +2 hangers on the 15, but the old 2014 car had the regular hangers. I've since sold the 2014 XB4 to one of my racing buddies. He's not yet had a chance to put electronics in it and try it for himself.

How did the driving characteristics change when you upped the diff fluids so much over the stock 8k-8k ?
Old 12-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Tech Addict

Fyi just got a email from rc American for the payment of my center diff. Guess it got shipped out today. Figured I would let everyone Know who has been waiting like myself. You can order right from Rc American if you don't want to wait til the hobby shops get them.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by randy0025
Fyi just got a email from rc American for the payment of my center diff. Guess it got shipped out today. Figured I would let everyone Know who has been waiting like myself. You can order right from Rc American if you don't want to wait til the hobby shops get them.
You have to call them to make the purchase?
Old 12-29-2014, 05:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by EricW
You have to call them to make the purchase?
well they need to know you want it to be able to buy it. lol
No jk, but yeah I called them and pre-ordered mine about 2 weeks ago. I was able to place the order right over the phone so I know you can phone them and maybe even email them. I might be wrong but i think Rc America is the us distributor for xray parts for the US. So if thats the case they should be in the local shops soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.