Search
Like Tree246Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 09:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
What's wrong with the stock shocks? Mine are perfect, and this is with the "inferior" stock pistons.
The stock pistons have a huge amount of blow by compared to avid pistons that are machined. Avid pistons has to be the best investment to get for this car.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
What's wrong with the stock shocks? Mine are perfect, and this is with the "inferior" stock pistons.
Not saying there is anything wrong with them, just wondering if anyone prefers to run them with bladders, if bladders don't fit/work in them, what other shock options are available that do have bladders is the question.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by suzukipro
Not saying there is anything wrong with them, just wondering if anyone prefers to run them with bladders, if bladders don't fit/work in them, what other shock options are available that do have bladders is the question.
I popped on a set of Caster bog bore shocks which have bladders. I didn't like it much. I feel the Caster shocks are really designed for a heavier car than the XB4.

With a bit of fettling I'm sure they could be made to work, but having returned to the Xray shocks which work great (standard piston at present) I see no point in changing.

The Kyosho shocks are reckoned to be about as good as they come, so might be worth trying...

Jimmy
Old 05-08-2014, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Ahh, a Frankenbuggy, LOL. Plenty of other shocks fit I'm sure, I think someone on here used the Kyosho shocks for a time but noticed them to be significantly heavier than the Xray OEM shocks. I've ran TLR 22 BB's on my 511, but limiting was much different, and so then was droop, sure it worked, but wasn't ideal - this was until Tamiya came out with their own shocks. The other thing is - the fastest guys for Xray run the OEM shocks and no bladders. Actually no one runs bladders in off road - not AE, TLR, Xray - why do you want bladders? You might be over thinking things. Avid or the Schelle pistons (who make 1.6 & 1.7 2 holes as well as the 1.5+1.1 & 1.6+1.1 pistons) are "true" fit pistons. Yes, better than the Xray OEM pistons and are a worth while investment - as are the Exotek aluminum bleeder caps. Put those together and now you have a great shock package.

Now, what o-rings to use for my rebuild.......
Old 05-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

The kyosho shocks fit with mods on the xray. Posted pics some time back. Frankly do not see the point if you got the avid pistons, as good as they are gonna get. Still no kyosho but pretty great.

Tried using different o rings (x ring clear kyosho), but most orings are too fat to fit with the stock spacers in the cartridge of the xb4 shock. I like the regular stock orings best still.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by aloksatoor
The kyosho shocks fit with mods on the xray. Posted pics some time back. Frankly do not see the point if you got the avid pistons, as good as they are gonna get. Still no kyosho but pretty great.

Tried using different o rings (x ring clear kyosho), but most orings are too fat to fit with the stock spacers in the cartridge of the xb4 shock. I like the regular stock orings best still.
Fair enough, I would assume on lighter weight vehicles that emulsion performs better than bladders for shock set up? While it is not a fair comparison, I have found emulsion works better in my SCT410 and bladders work better in my EB-48. Just thought maybe I should look into trying out bladders and figured someone else may have tried it...

Thanks,
Old 05-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Fair enough, I would assume on lighter weight vehicles that emulsion performs better than bladders for shock set up? While it is not a fair comparison, I have found emulsion works better in my SCT410 and bladders work better in my EB-48. Just thought maybe I should look into trying out bladders and figured someone else may have tried it...

Thanks,
The last cars that had options for bladder shocks never worked for me. Had the 2 schumachers sv and sv2, most ppl prefered emulsion over the stock bladder shocks (prob astro setups from factory on the cars). The other car was the over engineered under performing dex210 v1 which in most us setups, was run with emulsion. Think the tlr series also comes with bladders so any of these cars parts will work since all are 12mm shocks.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Just ordered this kit today I'm pretty excited to build it. Also i got the avid pistons as advised from this thread. I will be ordering the exotek cvd cups and possibly a few other things before its up and running. Anything else i should get right away?
Does anyone know if any of the MIP Bypass pistons work in these shocks? I have them in my SCTE 2.0 and MIP Pro8 and love them. So i was wondering maybe they would work on this car too.
Thanks
Old 05-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jmcelroy42
Just ordered this kit today I'm pretty excited to build it. Also i got the avid pistons as advised from this thread. I will be ordering the exotek cvd cups and possibly a few other things before its up and running. Anything else i should get right away?
Does anyone know if any of the MIP Bypass pistons work in these shocks? I have them in my SCTE 2.0 and MIP Pro8 and love them. So i was wondering maybe they would work on this car too.
Thanks
If you want to run the Vik setup you'll need 3 dot front and 1 dot rear springs and 1.4mm rear sway bar. I would also get the exotek wing mounts I've broken a couple of stock ones. Other than the usual spares you would want to carry for any car you should be good.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Tech Adept

Proud owner of a xb4 super proud
Old 05-09-2014, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Its now my fav car to drive, have scte eco6 desc410 22 (sold) no more putt putt 2 wheelers lol
Old 05-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BDRMBULLY
Its now my fav car to drive, have scte eco6 desc410 22 (sold) no more putt putt 2 wheelers lol
My kinda driver right there! I as well have found the xb4 to be my favorite!
Old 05-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Best 4wd buggy IMO, I let other 4wd owners drive mine and all they do is say WOW, the orion combo with this car is just smooth. It handles great, and flies like an ebuggy! Haven't broken any parts….nothing! Makes me want to try the 2wd (once they come out with the conversion) for those of us who don't run on carpet
Old 05-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm looking for a little help with gearing or at least a starting point. I tried 20/81, 22/81 & 23/81 on a small - med dirt indoor and motor temps are approaching or getting into the 180° motor / 120° ESC range with a Tekin RSX/6.5 redline combo. Should I actually try a smaller pinion to help reduce motor temps like maybe a 19t? My theory/conventional wisdom is that if the motor is hot and the ESC is cool gear up (reducing motor RPM should help with heat), but if the ESC gets hot it is too much strain for the ESC and you should gear down. I'd like to believe I have it right, but I see a lot of setups with lower gearing and I'm not sure if I'm missing something.

Thanks,
Old 05-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I'm looking for a little help with gearing or at least a starting point. I tried 20/81, 22/81 & 23/81 on a small - med dirt indoor and motor temps are approaching or getting into the 180° motor / 120° ESC range with a Tekin RSX/6.5 redline combo. Should I actually try a smaller pinion to help reduce motor temps like maybe a 19t? My theory/conventional wisdom is that if the motor is hot and the ESC is cool gear up (reducing motor RPM should help with heat), but if the ESC gets hot it is too much strain for the ESC and you should gear down. I'd like to believe I have it right, but I see a lot of setups with lower gearing and I'm not sure if I'm missing something.

Thanks,
I run 19 and 20……thats it with my 81T and my temps don't go over 150 on motor indoor or outdoor 120 on esc sounds about right. Although mine hovers around 113-117... I think 22 and 23 are too tall….and thats why the high motor temps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.