Like Tree91Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Reply

Old 12-04-2012, 09:31 AM
  #166  
CGR
Tech Regular
 
CGR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 384
Default

CGR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 AM
  #167  
Tech Adept
 
RC America's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 168
Default

XRAY still plans to start shipping in the next few days. It usually takes 7-10 days to reach our warehouse after leaving XRAY.

- Bryan
RC America is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:41 AM
  #168  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
spu83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: S FL
Posts: 1,598
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Its going to be a head turner when its going to public for sure. LOOK how many users are on this thread.
spu83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 AM
  #169  
Tech Master
iTrader: (50)
 
tommy911t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: www.tuitebicyclerepair.com
Posts: 1,137
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default

Wow.
Those pics are amazing.
Well done, XRAY.
tommy911t is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 AM
  #170  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (21)
 
annonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 498
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by t0p_sh0tta View Post
...and bearings in the steering rack.
Saw the "lack of bearings" mentioned a couple of times

What am I missing?
annonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:48 AM
  #171  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (14)
 
t8rtot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,010
Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
Currently wheeling a DEX. It is ok, but I wouldn't call it tank like. It has a few weak spots. Plastic is stiff (easier to break arms), bulk head plastic can strip out, and inner hinge pins are weak. Ball cups are worthless. Can't speak on Cat/Tamiya.
to each there own. i never called it a tank. and i didn't have an issue with the cups and if your breaking arms on a DEX your doing it wrong. also its a 3lb car with a 6.5-8.5 motor with 3+ inch arms flying around a track bouncing off pipes and walls and casing jumps coming from 20mph to a complete stop, and snagging wheels on everything. any car will break. i say its tough as nails i'm realistic and because for what abuse your putting this car thru its standing up alot better than its competition.

if you have strong arms your going to bend hinge pins.. no matter what car it is. something has to give.

this Xray will not industructable. i like the car don't get me wrong i look forward to hopefully seeing a few up close.

that being said
glad they finally answered your calls for a 1/10 buggy. good luck guys.
t8rtot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:16 AM
  #172  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (28)
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 431
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by annonymous View Post
Saw the "lack of bearings" mentioned a couple of times

What am I missing?
The Lazer ZX-5 FS2 SP has 2 flanged bearings rather than bushings. (This is in addition to the 4 regular bearings.) On the XB4 look at part #362290 on page 24 of the manual.

STEEL STEERING BUSHING - SHORT (2)

I'm not sure they make that much of a difference.
Xyzzy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 AM
  #173  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (35)
 
t0p_sh0tta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,863
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
The Lazer ZX-5 FS2 SP has 2 flanged bearings rather than bushings. (This is in addition to the 4 regular bearings.) On the XB4 look at part #362290 on page 24 of the manual.

STEEL STEERING BUSHING - SHORT (2)

I'm not sure they make that much of a difference.
This.

If there were a little more material, I'd modify it to accepy a flanged bearing myself.
t0p_sh0tta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:46 AM
  #174  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (42)
 
aloksatoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N California
Posts: 3,099
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by t8rtot View Post
I'm not sure if you've driven the current new generation 4 wheelers (cat/dex/tamiya) they're tough as nails
Not the cat. I can kill it in under 1 practice day. And going by the desc410r quality of ball cups, I doubt the buggys much better. The first thing people do on the truck is upgrade the ball cups.
aloksatoor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:05 AM
  #175  
Suspended
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 484
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by t8rtot View Post
to each there own. i never called it a tank. and i didn't have an issue with the cups and if your breaking arms on a DEX your doing it wrong. also its a 3lb car with a 6.5-8.5 motor with 3+ inch arms flying around a track bouncing off pipes and walls and casing jumps coming from 20mph to a complete stop, and snagging wheels on everything. any car will break. i say its tough as nails i'm realistic and because for what abuse your putting this car thru its standing up alot better than its competition.

if you have strong arms your going to bend hinge pins.. no matter what car it is. something has to give.

this Xray will not industructable. i like the car don't get me wrong i look forward to hopefully seeing a few up close.

that being said
glad they finally answered your calls for a 1/10 buggy. good luck guys.
4wd buggies are not meant to be smashed around the track. If you can't make 5 laps without crashing, 4wd buggies are not for you. Lets call a spade a spade, 4wd buggies are for decent drivers.
R.Shackleford is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:10 AM
  #176  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (42)
 
aloksatoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N California
Posts: 3,099
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

4wd buggies in 1/10 scale achieve similar speeds as their 1/8 counterparts and are more agile as well. Thats a simple enough equation for more carnage.

That being said, after I drive my 4wd, I tend to drive my 2wd a bit better as well. If I just start driving out my 2wd the whole prac day, I am over cautious on some parts of the track where I should not be. Don't know if it makes sense but what I am saying is, driving my 4wd makes me a better driver in 2wd as well .
aloksatoor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:13 AM
  #177  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (21)
 
annonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 498
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
The Lazer ZX-5 FS2 SP has 2 flanged bearings rather than bushings. (This is in addition to the 4 regular bearings.) On the XB4 look at part #362290 on page 24 of the manual.

STEEL STEERING BUSHING - SHORT (2)

I'm not sure they make that much of a difference.
Oh I see, thinking you we're referring to the bellcrank itself rather than the Ackerman plate. Not really sure why that is a concern seeing as virtually every 1/8 is built the same way. Xray plastics resist slopping out pretty well and the bushings should still be very smooth
annonymous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 AM
  #178  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,854
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by aloksatoor View Post
Not the cat. I can kill it in under 1 practice day. And going by the desc410r quality of ball cups, I doubt the buggys much better. The first thing people do on the truck is upgrade the ball cups.
DEX410 has same hinge pin and ballcup issues as the DESC410. I upgraded to the lunsford ones and didn't have a single issue this weekend. I can actually change camber without popping a ballcup!! Don't get me wrong, I like the car, but all the 1/10 cars could use some beefing up imho.

I'm sure Xray won't let us down. Mine is on pre-order.
Edumakated is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:17 AM
  #179  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (14)
 
t8rtot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,010
Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford View Post
4wd buggies are not meant to be smashed around the track. If you can't make 5 laps without crashing, 4wd buggies are not for you. Lets call a spade a spade, 4wd buggies are for decent drivers.
thats my point
t8rtot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:25 AM
  #180  
Tech Master
iTrader: (35)
 
RCBuddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,961
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

i like the car! I reserve judgement till i see it in person, but from the pictures, I like it!

So far, I like the easy access to the diffs (4 screws!), the wire tie downs (for a nicer, cleaner wired chassis), and ability to easily wire and access the batteries.

Question: Is there any other companies currently making 14mm hex rims? Proline, Avid, etc? Sorry if this has been answered already.
RCBuddha is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service