R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree62Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #1591
Tech Addict
 
kenny lutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canal Winchester,OH
Posts: 706
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

when will the aluminuim towers be back in would like to get a set and would like to get a set. also i am building my kit and one of the bleeder screws looks like it didnt get stamped all the way out anyone else see this happen?
__________________
Kyosho Rb6.6- Maclan mmax - Fantom 17.5
Kyosho Zx6.6- Maclan mmax - Fantom 13.5
Airtronics M12 - Auer Ace Hardware - Schelle
kenny lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #1592
Tech Initiate
 
j0pp3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Stockholm, SWEDEN
Posts: 46
Default

Crafted some FRP towers (4mm) front and rear and a top deck (2mm). I have run the front tower six packs through and it feels very sturdy. May do the battery holders too later. Once you go black... right?

j0pp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #1593
Tech Master
 
slakr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 1,736
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0pp3 View Post
Crafted some FRP towers (4mm) front and rear and a top deck (2mm). I have run the front tower six packs through and it feels very sturdy. May do the battery holders too later. Once you go black... right?
They all look SWEEET
__________________
TLR 22 4.0, 22-4 2.0, 8IGHT & 8IGHT-E 4.0~XRAY XB2C~AE TC7.1
Tim aka "slakr" ROAR No. 3-119960
slakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #1594
Tech Addict
 
kenny lutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canal Winchester,OH
Posts: 706
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0pp3 View Post
Crafted some FRP towers (4mm) front and rear and a top deck (2mm). I have run the front tower six packs through and it feels very sturdy. May do the battery holders too later. Once you go black... right?

these are looking very nice would like to have a set my self lol
__________________
Kyosho Rb6.6- Maclan mmax - Fantom 17.5
Kyosho Zx6.6- Maclan mmax - Fantom 13.5
Airtronics M12 - Auer Ace Hardware - Schelle
kenny lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #1595
Tech Elite
 
Odin544's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kennewick, Washington
Posts: 3,166
Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asc6000 View Post
The "upgrade" kit contains stronger shock towers and braces for both front and rear towers specific to their problem. Additionally a stronger front diff case. And finally 2 sets of diff gears.
In this regard I am still running all the original components. Broke the tab off the rear tower, glued it back on and fabbed a brace, Problem Solved. Cracked the front diff case, glued and braced, PS. The diff gears are finally giving up the ghost but some of that is due to me. I'm gonna shim and try one more time but have the gears on hand in case I need to work on the car at the track.
I bought 2 kits the day they came out and one is still unopened.
Love this car, I just wish our track was fast enough to let it fly.
According to Xray the Upgrade kit does not come with shock towers. Only a shock tower protector. It looks to me like they are just to spread the load out over a larger area. I would think adding washers behind nuts would do the same thing. I haven't been able to run mine yet but I've replaced all the standard silver 3mm nuts with flanged nuts to help this.
__________________
Xray - ORCA - Avid RC - MaxFX Paint
TriCitiesRC.com
Odin544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #1596
Tech Elite
 
asc6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Meridian Idaho
Posts: 3,386
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaner View Post
Ha Ill run the zx5 by them. When you say you had to touch up the tops, are you talking about refilling with fluid or something else? After following this thread it seems like some guys are losing diff fluid but can't see it on the chassis or anywhere else... Wonder if they need to be "marinated" so to speak, then they swell and do not require shims? Don't want to destroy the gears and would prefer running stock diffs over the metal ones.

This will be my first 4wd 1/10 so I'm pretty pumped about trying it out.
Just got back from picking up the upgrade kits and some springs and metal gear sets.
So here is something about the diffs. After a few runs the rear diff had some debris inside (tiny pieces of plastic) so when I rebuilt that one I shimmed it and moved it to the front. The front one looked good so I simply changed fluids and put it in the rear.
A few more runs and it was all good until the last session when the rear diff was getting noisy and not hooking up.... that is the diff that was in the front and looked good previously. I took it apart and it doesn't look any worse than the first one with debris which was now in the front and working well. I was going to rebuild with metal gears but I think I'll just shim this one and run it again. Eyeballing fluid levels btw my scale doesn't measure to 100th of a gram. Also those 4 little screws are finally seating all the way, I expect the last bit of weeping to stop completely.
On the shocks I actually "flattened" the tops of the bodys, basically just made sure the "seating" area looked good.
So the upgrade kits, coolio, thanks Xray. A couple things though. They have an addendum instructions that tells you to cut the upper deck at the front. I would think that they are allowing the front gearcase to move a bit and absorb some shock ? Also why the extra big gears? Haven't heard that being a big issue. Nice though. And lastly I wish they had thought about a different brace for the front to support the case area. The one I fabbed up simply fit under the heads of the front case screws and the two tower to bulkhead screws, super effective.
__________________
"you reach the limit, you touch the limit, then you pass the limit, now there is a new limit"
Ayrton Senna
asc6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #1597
Tech Elite
 
asc6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Meridian Idaho
Posts: 3,386
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin544 View Post
According to Xray the Upgrade kit does not come with shock towers. Only a shock tower protector. It looks to me like they are just to spread the load out over a larger area. I would think adding washers behind nuts would do the same thing. I haven't been able to run mine yet but I've replaced all the standard silver 3mm nuts with flanged nuts to help this.
yea my bad on the tower, I was thinking braces. The rear brace is perfect, a similar one for the front is needed imo to protect the case.
__________________
"you reach the limit, you touch the limit, then you pass the limit, now there is a new limit"
Ayrton Senna
asc6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #1598
Tech Adept
 
Deaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 131
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asc6000 View Post
Just got back from picking up the upgrade kits and some springs and metal gear sets.
So here is something about the diffs. After a few runs the rear diff had some debris inside (tiny pieces of plastic) so when I rebuilt that one I shimmed it and moved it to the front. The front one looked good so I simply changed fluids and put it in the rear.
A few more runs and it was all good until the last session when the rear diff was getting noisy and not hooking up.... that is the diff that was in the front and looked good previously. I took it apart and it doesn't look any worse than the first one with debris which was now in the front and working well. I was going to rebuild with metal gears but I think I'll just shim this one and run it again. Eyeballing fluid levels btw my scale doesn't measure to 100th of a gram. Also those 4 little screws are finally seating all the way, I expect the last bit of weeping to stop completely.
On the shocks I actually "flattened" the tops of the bodys, basically just made sure the "seating" area looked good.
So the upgrade kits, coolio, thanks Xray. A couple things though. They have an addendum instructions that tells you to cut the upper deck at the front. I would think that they are allowing the front gearcase to move a bit and absorb some shock ? Also why the extra big gears? Haven't heard that being a big issue. Nice though. And lastly I wish they had thought about a different brace for the front to support the case area. The one I fabbed up simply fit under the heads of the front case screws and the two tower to bulkhead screws, super effective.

Ohhh ok so basically you just lapped the top of the shock body where the cap seats against it? I'll prolly end up building the shocks just like the manual says and see what happens, if I get leakage from that area I'll give your trick a go, along with the black grease on the threads. Do you think maybe the rear diff issue has something to do with possible differences between the two diff cases? Tolerance wise? The front and rear diff cases are interchangable, no? Funny that the rear diff would wear different from the front; all things being equal. Think I'll marinate the diffs in diff oil (and worcester sauce) before assembly.

Thanks for the insight, I'm still fairly new to this hobby and I'll take all the help I can get!
__________________
Tron funkin blow
Deaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #1599
Tech Elite
 
asc6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Meridian Idaho
Posts: 3,386
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

hmm, the metal gears are .25 mm thicker. You can see the extra in the mold.
I'm not sure what I'll do, don't run again till sunday.
I badly want to open that second kit and build extra diffs with alternate oils and backups.
The front diff case is different, the part where the shock tower bolts on is angled due to the front kick.

So... anyone running metal gears want to report ?
__________________
"you reach the limit, you touch the limit, then you pass the limit, now there is a new limit"
Ayrton Senna
asc6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #1600
Tech Apprentice
 
Clint161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Langley B.C.
Posts: 81
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

[QUOTE=asc6000;11816561]So the upgrade kits, coolio, thanks Xray. A couple things though. They have an addendum instructions that tells you to cut the upper deck at the front. I would think that they are allowing the front gearcase to move a bit and absorb some shock ? QUOTE]

I beleive this is to allow room for the additional metal brace to fit on the back of the tower.
Clint161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #1601
Tech Master
 
liquid g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: streamwood
Posts: 1,133
Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default

im thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these .i love my durango what are some of you thoughts on this buggy over the durango you former durango owners ? i race on a small topsoil dirt track
__________________
associated sc-10 tekin rs blinky 17.5 murfdogg
associated b4.1 wc tekin rs blinky 17.5 murfdogg
associated t4.2 tekin rs 10.5 murfdogg
dex410 2010 spec rspro boosted murfdogg

Last edited by liquid g; 02-15-2013 at 05:09 AM.
liquid g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #1602
Tech Elite
 
seth556's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,201
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

[QUOTE=Clint161;11817516]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asc6000 View Post
So the upgrade kits, coolio, thanks Xray. A couple things though. They have an addendum instructions that tells you to cut the upper deck at the front. I would think that they are allowing the front gearcase to move a bit and absorb some shock ? QUOTE]

I beleive this is to allow room for the additional metal brace to fit on the back of the tower.

You have to cut the upper deck because the V2 gear case is thicker around where the tower mounts. Basically where all these homemade aluminum tower braces have been fitting, they added more plastic there. So you have to trim the upper deck to allow room for this additional support.
seth556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #1603
Tech Fanatic
 
BennyBagems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hobart, Australia
Posts: 774
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint161 View Post


You have to cut the upper deck because the V2 gear case is thicker around where the tower mounts. Basically where all these homemade aluminum tower braces have been fitting, they added more plastic there. So you have to trim the upper deck to allow room for this additional support.
Exactly, this was stated when the upgrade kit was announced.
__________________
BMAX 4 III - YZ-2 - S350BE-1
Ryper Hobbies - AKA - Arrowmax Tools - Yokomo Australia
Vice President GOMCC - http://www.gomcc.com.au
BennyBagems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:26 AM   #1604
Tech Elite
 
asc6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Meridian Idaho
Posts: 3,386
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

After a closer look that is exactly the "case".
You guys were all over that.
Best wishes to anyone between you and a box of pastries.
__________________
"you reach the limit, you touch the limit, then you pass the limit, now there is a new limit"
Ayrton Senna
asc6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #1605
Tech Master
 
BentKa's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asc6000 View Post
hmm, the metal gears are .25 mm thicker. You can see the extra in the mold.
I'm not sure what I'll do, don't run again till sunday.
I badly want to open that second kit and build extra diffs with alternate oils and backups.
The front diff case is different, the part where the shock tower bolts on is angled due to the front kick.

So... anyone running metal gears want to report ?
Been running metal gears and the hard coated lightweight pins for over a month 3-4 times a week with no issues.
Now running the new 35T gears as well.
Works just fine and adds a little reassurance

Bent
__________________
Xray XB4 | Xray XB2 | Xray XT2 | Xray XB8 | Xray XB8E | Xray T4 | Xray X12
Factory Team driver for:
XRAY | ORCA | JConcepts | Futaba | FX-Engines | Hudy | G-Force | Maxima Fuel
Hiro Seiko | DubiDesign | Maugrafix | YeahRacing | rcMart | LapMonitor | IB Prostart
Follow Malin on Facebook for race reports and setup tips
BentKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EP buggies thread sim600 Malaysian R/C Racers 3586 03-31-2016 12:53 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (1 members and 3 guests)
ponchosnoop
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:35 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net