R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-27-2012, 04:56 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Tekin RS ESC not working in sensored mode

Hey dudes. My first post - please be gentle.

Just built my first kit. It's an Associated t4.1, with a Tekin RS, Team Epic D3 10.5 motor (brushless, sensored), Futuba receiver. Everything is brand new.

The ESC and motor runs without the sensor cable, in dual mode. LED's 1 and 4 blink in turn. But when I plug the sensor cable in, the ESC lights go off and the motor stops working, but the steering servo still works. I've tried this in both Dual Mode, and in Sensored Only mode (in HotWire)

Not sure what's going on, but obviously, I need to get this running in sensored. Any suggestions?
bowza1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowza1000 View Post
Hey dudes. My first post - please be gentle.

Just built my first kit. It's an Associated t4.1, with a Tekin RS, Team Epic D3 10.5 motor (brushless, sensored), Futuba receiver. Everything is brand new.

The ESC and motor runs without the sensor cable, in dual mode. LED's 1 and 4 blink in turn. But when I plug the sensor cable in, the ESC lights go off and the motor stops working, but the steering servo still works. I've tried this in both Dual Mode, and in Sensored Only mode (in HotWire)

Not sure what's going on, but obviously, I need to get this running in sensored. Any suggestions?
give a call to tekin monday. service is second to none.. BUT first check your wires from speed control to motor. make sure they are right. if you have a oms meter check the sensor cable to make sure its working., and all ends are connected. 1 little wire and your pulling your hair out trying to figure it out if cable is messed up it can do what your saying.
Crook County Race Course Prineville Oregon.
chucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Even easier scroll down find proper thread with same question asked 4655433 times and delete this one.
Gitsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitsum View Post
Even easier scroll down find proper thread with same question asked 4655433 times and delete this one.
Thanks Chucko!

Gitsum, I looked but couldn't seem to find anything. Could you point me in the right direction? Do you have a link?
Old 10-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Quote:
+1

Or use the search function .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hint it starts with Tekin
Gitsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Hint it starts with Tekin
Nice attitude mate. You're one coooooool mofo, arent' ya?
Old 10-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Make sure the wires on the motor match up with the ESC , there are A,B,C solder tabs on the motor and ESC and they must match (A to A , B to B ect) . If these dont match up then the motor wont run correctly .

If you need more help there is a Tekin support thread in this section of the forum ......
Old 10-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashemSmashem View Post
Make sure the wires on the motor match up with the ESC , there are A,B,C solder tabs on the motor and ESC and they must match (A to A , B to B ect) . If these dont match up then the motor wont run correctly .

If you need more help there is a Tekin support thread in this section of the forum ......
Hey mate. Cheers for the response. Yeah... the soldering is good (I think). Wires in order. When I plug in the sensor cable and spin the wheels, apparently the LED's are supposed to light up, but that doesn't happen either. I wonder if the problem lies with the motor sensors.

I'll check that support thread.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nv529

you might have a bad sensor cable..
Old 10-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
you might have a bad sensor cable..
Right! Just went a got a new sensor cable, and it still doesn't work. So I guess it's not the cable. Shiiiiet!
Old 10-28-2012, 05:28 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My Tekin did this too. It a problem with the ESC according to Tekin when I talked to them. It maybe the sensor in the motor but it wouldn't cut the ESCoff like that it would just switch to Dual Mode.
rc10t3b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:34 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc10t3b4 View Post
My Tekin did this too. It a problem with the ESC according to Tekin when I talked to them. It maybe the sensor in the motor but it wouldn't cut the ESCoff like that it would just switch to Dual Mode.
I was afraid of this. How was Tekin to deal with? Did they replace the ESC? I have ordered a Redline to try it on Wednesday. If that doesn't work, I'll know it's the ESC for sure.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #14
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

If you have the receipt and date is less then 120 days ago they will exchange it under warranty . If not , you can exchange it for a new one at a discounted price , think the RS is $78 .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I would see if you could "borrow" a spare motor that is known to be good, no need ot even put a pinion on it and run it on the track, just test to see if you have the same issue.

It could be any number of things and if you ruled out the cable you still need to figure out if you should address the sensor in the motor or an issue with the ESC.
lbenton is offline   Reply With Quote