R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   lipo batteries....TRUE C rating???? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/673048-lipo-batteries-true-c-rating.html)

Tran901 10-25-2012 02:35 PM

lipo batteries....TRUE C rating????

well i am currently looking for a strong C rating battery....looking for something at least 60c for my Durango. such as Max Amps 100c, Thunder Power 65c, and Orion 65c batteries and so on....

i posted that i was looking for one, and a guy on here said that the highest true rating that they make is 40c.....and i asked if Thunder Power, Max Amps and so on are liars and they don't have true amps...they are no higher than 40c!!!

i just want to make sure that whatever battery has the true C ratings they are showing! i just want to make sure i get what i pay for.

thanks

Cain 10-25-2012 02:41 PM

Maxamps TrueC rating is a burst rating, its not a continuous rating.

They used to have on their website a breakdown of what this meant. For whatever reason, they took it off. I don't agree with that and think it hurts them in the eyes of a lot of people who feel its misleading.

I am not sure about Orion, but I have heard that its not a continuous rating either.

The main thing you should concern yourself with from what I have experience is:

- Does the battery perform based on what people who use the product say?
- Does the manufacturer / seller stand behind their product from what people have experienced?
- Is there value to the product without a warranty of sorts based on what people have seeing from their own usage?

Me personally, I have enjoyed the IP lipos I purchased for 1/10 and 1/8. Great power, no complaints. The Thunderpower lipos I had were great, but I wasn't fond of the 1/8 hardcase as it broke kind of easily in my opinion where the larger IP lipos I had no issues.

I am currently using Promatch batteries based on experiences people have had with them (I used there stuff back when NIMH was big), good in general, nice warranty, and the prices are reasonable. So far so good and would feel comfortable recommending them.

I agree about the "get what you pay for" comment to a point. If I can sell you the same "good" product for $100 more than what you paid, did it suddenly become better? Nope ...

tc5 man 10-25-2012 02:44 PM

There is no real C" rating because theres no Manf standard like Nimh batterys had . So really a 35c i bet is really a 30c and Max Amps yea dont buy that spec lol because its not possible to have a 150c rating.

So really you just go buy the higher number and think its better and if theres more punch on the track than its better.

Chase1472 10-25-2012 02:47 PM

pretty good read if you have the time. There is also a interview with the owner of SMC somewhere also thats interesting.

http://www.liverc.com/news/special_f...s_Talk_LiPos!/

Tran901 10-25-2012 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cain (Post 11368426)
Maxamps TrueC rating is a burst rating, its not a continuous rating.

They used to have on their website a breakdown of what this meant. For whatever reason, they took it off. I don't agree with that and think it hurts them in the eyes of a lot of people who feel its misleading.

I am not sure about Orion, but I have heard that its not a continuous rating either.

The main thing you should concern yourself with from what I have experience is:

- Does the battery perform based on what people who use the product say?
- Does the manufacturer / seller stand behind their product from what people have experienced?
- Is there value to the product without a warranty of sorts based on what people have seeing from their own usage?

Me personally, I have enjoyed the IP lipos I purchased for 1/10 and 1/8. Great power, no complaints. The Thunderpower lipos I had were great, but I wasn't fond of the 1/8 hardcase as it broke kind of easily in my opinion where the larger IP lipos I had no issues.

I am currently using Promatch batteries based on experiences people have had with them (I used there stuff back when NIMH was big), good in general, nice warranty, and the prices are reasonable. So far so good and would feel comfortable recommending them.

I agree about the "get what you pay for" comment to a point. If I can sell you the same "good" product for $100 more than what you paid, did it suddenly become better? Nope ...

cain, im glad you said that....i don't plan on buying TP in 1/8th. i love them in my 4wd and 2wd sc. i just didn't believe that 40c is the most the batteries will produce.

i know that 100c from max amps is the burst rate. what about the TP 65c with 130 burst? does that mean that TP is lying about what they are putting out.

i def know the difference bt a 30c vs 65c battery esp in my 2wd. if i race a small technical track and don't need the burst, i will run my 30-40c battery if i run a track with big jumps that i need to clear, i know my TP 65c will do the trick

Cain 10-25-2012 03:04 PM

To be honest I loved them in 1/8 too, but the case just wasn't up to snuff. A person I know who bought the same battery had the same thing happen to him so it didn't feel like a fluke.

That said though, I have no reason to believe that based on the performance I saw, there C Rating was inflated. Now, it is exactly X C rating? Don't know. I have no reason to doubt them to be honest from my experiences. It did feel good. I felt I got my money's worth :)

Tran901 10-25-2012 03:08 PM

i personally like the Reedy and thats what i run in my 1/8th. i will look into the promatch batteries and you aren't the first person to say good things about them. i liked the Max Amps, but they don't make the hard pack.

i need something other than my Losi 60c 5200 for my durango. it doesn't like to finish a 8min main!!

Tran901 10-25-2012 03:11 PM

http://www.promatchracing.com/prodde...od=2S520060CSD

what do you think about the 60c 5200 saddle packs?

part#2S520060CSD

jason151 10-25-2012 03:12 PM

Basically what Cain said.

The dillemma is that there is NO true standardized test for measuring and recording a C rating. Nobody really knows exactly what a packs C rating is except the manufacturer (and I mean the FACTORY) because they use the same procedure and settings consistently. However, this only applies to the batteries they make. They could get a competitor's battery and test it against their own (and I'm sure they do), but what good is that to a consumer when none of those comparable tests will be done consistently or in large numbers? The good news is that there is only a few factories in the world making batteries, so you have a HUGE liklihood of getting the EXACT same battery from numerous retailers. Don't believe me? Look at several brands of batteries and see what's the difference- external aesthetics aside. Most batteries are exactly the same down to the innards with superficial treatments done for brand differentation and consumer recognition.

Then, add on top of that the simple fact that China feels for business ethics about the same as Bill Clinton did for marriage vows. They will tell a retailer ANYTHING they want to hear if it means making a sale. I am an importer and I've been told who/what/when was ordered by my competition on numerous occasions. They just don't care. I know this to be fact from personal experience. There is no such thing as "integrity" in China. Don't believe me? Tell me of ONE other country where factories put nets just below the roof lines to prevent suicide jumpers from making points about their workplace conditions.

So, buy for price and customer service. Buy a pack with good reviews from a company that will stand behind it. DON'T go buy a $100 pack thinking you're getting a superior product. You won't. For all intents and purposes, unless you're specifically loking for a low C battery, ignore the C rating-- it means nothing over about 30C, after that, you can't believe what's written on them with any degree of confidence. Fantom claims 100C on their shorty--ok, right. <eye rolling> compare that exact pack to numerous other packs and you can see down to the +/- indicators on the pack that everything is a perfect match except the outside appearance. Coincidence?? Uhm, no.

ta_man 10-25-2012 03:58 PM

Danny (I don't know his last name) of SMC racing did some work to develop a realistic C-rating standard. You can read about it on this thread on HobbyTalk: http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=357870

His conclusions were that, according to his proposed, reproducible measurement method, the best cells available are about 25C. So SMC started selling a line of batteries labeling them as 25C. The factory that makes those cells races them at 70C according to comparisons with other cells.

Nobody bought the packs labeled as 25C. Well, actually, I bought two of their 4S 25C rated packs. They are excellent. But nobody else, or at least not very many people bought them because they figured a 25C pack today is not so good when there are 100C rated packs.

So SMC is now selling those same packs labeled with the rating provided by the manufacturer: 70C.

Really sad that people say they want accurate battery ratings but would not buy batteries with accurate ratings. So don't expect to see any accurate ratings on LiPo batteries any time soon.

rcguy76559 10-25-2012 04:21 PM

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/lipo-battery-shoot-out/

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/li-po-battery-shootout-2/

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/lipo-batte...-3-4s-edition/

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/lipo-batte...0-mah-edition/

Dave H 10-25-2012 04:22 PM

There are sites that have independent lipo testing for those interested. RCGroups is one, although it is airplane oriented. A few guys routinely post tests, sometimes for 100s of cycles, with CBA equipment.

Some of them to very high C values, I know I've seen 50C constant, and it was at least a couple years ago.

The testing clearly shows there are differences in various packs/brands. Although as lipos have matured they have tended to get closer.

LowBudgetRacer 10-25-2012 04:30 PM

I currently run Gens Ace 5300 65C lipos in all my cars. They are a great lipo for the price and I have had very few problems with them. We have a couple guys that run Max Amps lipos and I see no difference in there performance and mine. When people give me a hard time about running Gens Ace vs a high dollar name brand lipo I just remind them that I can buy 2 lipos for the price of there one and I still can beat them. Remember all lipos are produced by two factorys in China and then are sold and assembled by companys around the world, so how different can they be really.

kzzican 10-25-2012 04:37 PM

Dang. Rcguy beat me to it. Read the big squid tests they answer most questions. I run the genace 50c lipo from the test, i haven't noticed any difference between them an my orion 65c and yet i get 3 genaces for the price of my orion.

Dave H 10-25-2012 04:40 PM

Another way to measure the lipos, that is more practical for most, is to do what this hobby has done for nearly 30 years or so. Get a charger or gizmo that measures Internal Resistance.

IR is what I use and rely on, both to compare and keep track of my pack’s condition. There are clear differences in some of the brands I've sampled, and it correlates well to punch. Just like it always has.