R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   help with solder on a Orion R10 2-3s esc (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/672913-help-solder-orion-r10-2-3s-esc.html)

BRSracing 10-24-2012 10:15 PM

help with solder on a Orion R10 2-3s esc

Has anyone ever soldered a Orion R10 esc? i am trying to replace a battery cable, but i can't get the solder to melt on the old cable to romve it. Do they use some special type of solder? Any help would be appreciated.

Chase1472 10-24-2012 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by BRSracing (Post 11365918)
Has anyone ever soldered a Orion R10 esc? i am trying to replace a battery cable, but i can't get the solder to melt on the cable. Do they use some special type of solder? Any help would be appreciated.

just use good glob of solder on your 700F iron tip it will melt really fast.

Pre tin the Post and the wire separately. Then sandwich your your iron between the ESC post and wire heating them simultaneously, then move the iron to the other side of the wire once you start getting a solder flow going to finish it off.

Take your time and be careful to not over heat the ESC.

RC demon 10-24-2012 10:26 PM

You need to have a very hot iron to solder wires directly onto esc's because it acts as a heat sink.

BRSracing 10-24-2012 10:31 PM

The issue i am having is getting the old cable off. The solder on the esc wont seem to melt to get the old one off. I have a Weller Iron i think is a 800 degree iron

Chase1472 10-24-2012 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by BRSracing (Post 11365955)
The issue i am having is getting the old cable off. The solder on the esc wont seem to melt to get the old one off. I have a Weller Iron i think is a 800 degree iron

I have re-soldered a ton of R10's its nothing different. Pre tin your iron with healthy portion of solder the wire should wiggle right off

RC demon 10-24-2012 11:16 PM

Try wiggling and lightly pulling it off after you have heated it up.

lbenton 10-24-2012 11:34 PM

The basic theme of advice is to tin the tip of your iron first. It helps it quickly conduct the heat to your wire you wish to free if you have a little dab of liquid solder on it. Simply give you a larger surface area of hot contact.

If you keep putting a hot iron on the board and not getting a quick melt on the solder you will cook something sooner or later.

My advice if this keeps being an issue is to go to a hobby shop and consult somebody there in person. Good chance they can offer help beyond what you can read online. Other than that, hit up youtube with searches for soldering wires to a circuit board.

BRSracing 10-25-2012 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Chase1472 (Post 11366003)
I have re-soldered a ton of R10's its nothing different. Pre tin your iron with healthy portion of solder the wire should wiggle right off

Thanks for the info, I have wired lots of speedos, never had an issue. What kind of Iron do you prefer? I have been kicking around a new solder station vs the cheaper one i have, are the nicer stations worth the money if anyone has used one

ovalracer1m 10-25-2012 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by BRSracing (Post 11366533)
Thanks for the info, I have wired lots of speedos, never had an issue. What kind of Iron do you prefer? I have been kicking around a new solder station vs the cheaper one i have, are the nicer stations worth the money if anyone has used one

Yes a high end iron is worth its weight in gold. Makes soldering a breeze. Look at the nicer Hakko irons.
I have noticed this with hobbywing/orions esc's as well. The solder they use seem more difficult to unsolder, but a good iron will still do the job. Like many said above, a good pre-tin and a good iron will do it no problem.