Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
2000 Duratrax Evader ST- Upgrade Options? >

2000 Duratrax Evader ST- Upgrade Options?

2000 Duratrax Evader ST- Upgrade Options?

Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 2000 Duratrax Evader ST- Upgrade Options?

Hey RCTech,

Wow, strange to say this but I haven't raced RC cars in 10 years and i'm only 21! Can't believe that. Anywho, just found this forum as I just pulled my RC cars out of the backroom after not being used since I stopped racing back in 2002.

I plan on selling my stock Traxxas Rustler Complete but plan on keeping my Duratrax Evader ST since I have already done some upgrades back in '01: aluminum front piece, shocks, LRP IPC Super Sport Speed Controller, Race Spec Motor (not sure what one).

Having been out of the game for this long, i'm sure Towerhobbies doesn't carry aftermarket parts or upgrades for this model Evader ST anymore. In some quick searches i've noticed Brushless motors is the new way to go.

My Goals:

1. New Motor (slightly faster then stock but i'm looking for something that will run for a long time)
2. New Batteries (6 cell, looking for long lasting because right now my 2400 batteries from 2002 only last about 3minutes)
3. New Speed Controller (or can I run the same LRP with a brushless motor?)

Any recommendations on the above pieces?

Hope someone has this older model and can help me out! If I can get this car to run for a good 20-30minutes on a single battery without ghetto rigging parts on it from other cars, may attend some races at my old stomping grounds. Looks like DirtRunners RC Club in North Jersey has really kick off compared to when I left (wonder if they still run the Nitro T-Maxx Oval Class I had started ).

Thanks guy's and I guess it's time for me to start searching older threads on RCTech.

-Evan

Last edited by DownhillRC; 10-24-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

First, watch the use of vulgar language on the forums, there are a lot of kids on here. Second, are you planning to race again? If so id check with your local track and see what classes are popular. Alot of places are racing SCT ( Short Course Trucks ) ie. traxxas slash, Losi 22sct, HPI blitz. 2wd buggy seems to be very popular as well. I wouldnt go upgrade your car before you check with the track so you dont waste money on something you wont be able to race.

I recommend getting started with a baseline 2wd slash in SCT class and see how you like it. SCT is EXTREMELY fun! GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the response. Hobby really has changed. Back in 2000-2002 I was the only youngster racing RC's in my area.

Anyways, I don't plan on spending anymore on a new RTR RC, already have too much money tied up in more expensive hobbies. Just want to run one my Evader ST in tip-top shape for fun and potentially race it once or twice.

Found this link...

rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=564

What are your opinions on doing a:

Electronic Speed Controller: Novak Super Rooster
Receiver: Spektrum SR3000
Steering Servo: Spektrum Z590MG (or would I need a Spektrum radio as well if I ran this)
Motor: Team Trinity P-94 Motor(13x2)
Old 10-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Or should I look into a new ESC and get Lipo batteries to help in running the car for a longer time before the batteries die?

If I go this route; what ESC and batteries should I look into that will work on an OEM Duratrax Evader ST?

Thank you!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Actually, since you have been gone the Evader line has taken several steps. However, all of the new parts on the newer versions will retro fit onto the older chassis.
Look at the parts for the Evader brushless (transmission gears etc) I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
J
Old 10-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by jdawg53
Actually, since you have been gone the Evader line has taken several steps. However, all of the new parts on the newer versions will retro fit onto the older chassis.
Look at the parts for the Evader brushless (transmission gears etc) I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
J
Brilliant! I will contact Duratrax direct to get alittle more information on what parts I can get away with swapping off a new Duratrax onto mine.

Any idea's on the best on-line retailer for motors, ECS, batteries? Back in the day it was only local hobby shop or Towerhobbies.com

Thanks JDawg!
Old 07-04-2014, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Default List of goods needed for "bullet proof" tranny:

Originally Posted by jdawg53
J
Parts that I used for my Evader ST Pro Tranny conversion:

DTXC7889 EXT/Brushless Evader Gearbox
DTXC7454 EXT/Brushless Evader Assembled Diff Gear
DTXC1595 10x15mm Ball Bearing (one for each side of new diff gear)
DTXC8092 EXT Idler Gear (use existing 5x10 bearings and top shaft)
DTXC7457 EXT/Brushless Evader Dogbones
DTXC6179 EXT/Brushless Evader Axles
DTXC7337 Springs (goes on both ends of dogbones to keep centered)

I haven't had to replace anything in 3 1/2 years and counting. Spur gears will wear out though (I have to get a new one every one ~ three months or so).

I got the optional DTXC9622 Top Shaft; I used the Brushless Evader slipper plates DTXC9313 and slipper pads DTXC9312 and spring/locknut DTXC9311. A new spur gear DTXC9418 is needed if a person is going to use the EXT/Brushless Evader top shaft/slipper combo.

Last edited by rustyus; 07-04-2014 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling & wrong #
Old 07-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Ultimate RC has a really good Duratrax forum. You'll find a lot of good info on mods and whatnot.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Evader st pro gear box where do I get it I put a brushless moter in and diff slips because I found out in the diff I am missing some slipper pads and I'm tiered of taking diff a part so how can I beef the rearend up
Old 12-17-2016, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Onnie
Evader st pro gear box where do I get it I put a brushless moter in and diff slips because I found out in the diff I am missing some slipper pads and I'm tiered of taking diff a part so how can I beef the rearend up
I haven't checked in awhile, but the original Evader ST/ST Pro gearbox is on the discontinued list. You may find some on eBay though.

I am trying to wrap my head around your diff slipping because of missing slipper pads issue. The ST ball diff consists of bearings, outdrives, spring, balls, rings, diff gear, thrust bearing, and bolt.

Anyway, I don't know what motor you are using now. The ST diff gear and idle gear are really weak when it comes to the plastic used. I've ruined gears in a very short time frame. No sooner did I get new gears installed...rrrrrrrip. This was from a 15T motor included with the truck .

The Associated B2 diff gear mod and metal idler gear would be the cheapest route to go if not going crazy with power.