Mounting tires

Old 10-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default Mounting tires

What brand glue do people prefer when mountig 10th scale offroad tires? I hate mounting tires, front 2wd buggies seem to give me the most issues. I run jconcepts fronts. they seem to be more difficult to bead the fronts up and keep them beaded up when gluing. Any tips or comments would be appreciated.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

AKA glue. No contest.

Are you using tire bands (rubber bands around the bead)? They make a miserable job relatively easy.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have used the same glue for years for anything from touring cars to off road.

I have tried their tire specific glue but it always clogged the nozzle and seemed to dry up in the bottle.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The panther tire bands are great because they have the little tabs that allow you to position the band very precisely. Make sure to always use the little straw that comes with the glue.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Racers edge glue is the best I have used.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford View Post
The panther tire bands are great because they have the little tabs that allow you to position the band very precisely. Make sure to always use the little straw that comes with the glue.
+1

go to Home Depot and get some Locktite CA...works great
Old 10-23-2012, 01:16 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I also always wipe the bead of the tire down with heavy duty electronics cleaner (the stuff that is one step more harsh than motor spray, the stuff that is not lexan safe). It takes all of the mold release/oxidation off the rubber, which lets the rubber bond to the rim properly. JConcepts tires (green compound in particular) seem to have alot of mold release/oxidation on them. If you don't wipe them down the glue turns a brown color and doesn't bond correctly.

The other thing I do is cut the bead down on the tire. That way it slips back into the bead of the rim. Not all tire rim combos require this, but I test fit everything and do a dry pull on the bead to make sure it falls back into place.

The other thing I have started to do when I glue my tires is I glue 1/8 of one side of one tire, then the other, then I go back to the first tire and glue another 1/8 180 from the first glued section. Then back to tire number 2. Then back to 1, 90 off of the first and second glue section. Then the same with number 2. Back to 1, 180 from the third glue section. Same with number 2. Back and forth between the two until all spots are glued, then a full lap around the front to seal the whole thing. Basically going about it this way allows you to not pull on the freshly applied glue. Then I let both wheels cure for about 15 minutes, then on to the back side. Same thing on the back. Then I put them on the car and free rev them a few times to seat the foam. Then I balance them. Since doing it this way I have yet to have a bead come unglued.

Some tires are directional, so pay attention to how you are mounting them up so you don't end up with two lefts or two rights.