Search

Couple of RC10 GT probs/???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Couple of RC10 GT probs/???

hey guys,

did a search and could not find anyone else with the probs i am having so here goes

i am almost done building it and have not even started the breakin process yet

#1 my right front tire spins nice and smooth and my left front spins and wobble and causes the front end to vibrate bad

#2 I have almost no steering movement in the fromt tires and from the pics in the manual and my truck it looks like everything is together right but i am thinking i made a mistake in the way the castor block assembly went and something is hitting just cant figure it out

#3 i have only built 4wd touring cars before this so the 2wd drive thing is new to me also, if i grad one rear tire and spin it the opposote tire only spins 1/2 to a 1/4 turn for each full rotation that the other spins??? shouldn't they each move the same just in oposite dirrections??? did i F'Up the rear diff too???

any help would be awesome, starting to get frustraded and the outdoor season is about 2 weeks away and i wanna be ready

later,
Chris08527
Old 03-28-2005, 02:11 PM
Tech Regular

OH MY GOD! YOU BROKE IT!

nah im just kidding
do you have a digital camera or camera phone so i can see the steering setup? its pretty straight forward, theres not a whole lot that can go wrong without being relatively obvious. if i had to guess, you either used the wrong hole on your servo horn, or you set it up with the servo not centered, and used your radio or turnbuckles to compensate. when my wheels are neutral, i like my servo horn straight up and down. that way i know exactly where center is. the stock steering horn turn buckle (the push link) may not be long enough to put your servo horn at 90 degrees, so just use your best judgement to make sure everything is where it should be. i know you said youve had experience with touring cars before, so stop me if im patronizing you im reasonably sure that its somthing simple.

as for the wobble, that could be one of 3 things. one, make sure the bearings on both sides of the rim are seated properly and in working order. two, make sure the bearings are actually there. ive gotten GTs second hand where there was only an outer bearing, and missing the inner ones. you need both of em! and three, I bad glue job will cause that too, believe me, im an expert at doing bad tire gluing jobs a lot of the time a few laps around the track will help normalize the tire and stabilize the wobble. worst case, search the forum for how to remove tires from their rims, and reglue them.

on to the diff... That sounds like the diff is just loose. remove the rear dog bones or CVDs and inside one of them is a little white cap (INSIDE the outdrive). remove that cap and that will give you access to the diff bolt, which adjusts the tension on the diff. tighten it down until the spring in there fully compresses (until you can no longer turn it using moderate, but gentle pressure) then back it off 1/4 of a turn. that should snug things up

good luck! any questions, feel free
Old 03-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

beetle

thanks for your help

i have the steering servo disconnected and it only has that little movement

i will play around and see if i can get rif of the wobble

i will try and take a pic later tonite

thanks
Chris08527
Old 03-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I answered you in the other forum, but first check to see if the steering blocks are upside down and on the wrong side. That'll do it.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Couple of RC10 GT probs/???

^ ^ ^ Yeah take that all apart and put it togehther again. You could also have your camber/steering ronds not threaded in enough, they're a bear to get in al the way.

Originally posted by Chris08527
#3 .... if i grad one rear tire and spin it the opposote tire only spins 1/2 to a 1/4 turn for each full rotation that the other spins??? shouldn't they each move the same just in oposite dirrections??? [/B]
Yes they should. When you put the diff together, out of the tranny - did it feel like it was right? Were you able to grab the two outdrives and roate them against each other, did it feel nice and smooth? If it did, probably all you need to do is tighten the diff up.

A common mistake here is to leave the spring out of the diff bolt assembly, that will do that.