Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
DHK Zombie 8e battery connectors overheating >

DHK Zombie 8e battery connectors overheating

DHK Zombie 8e battery connectors overheating

Old 10-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default DHK Zombie 8e battery connectors overheating

Hi guys, just had question about my 80a toro esc that came with my DHK Zombie. Ive been running it on 11.1v and after about a minute the car starts stuttering then eventually stops, when i pull the body off the connectors are extremely hot and the solder had popped. I've had the esc solders redone and it did it again. I then had the esc replaced and same problem. It has deans plugs on them so i don't think it has anything to do with weak connections. I've had a bit of a look through the threads and couldn't find anything that helped. I'm thinking the motors pulling too much powerbut it's the motor that came stock with the car. I know ours 2260kv 1/8th motor. I do apologise if this had been answered but I'm just hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks heaps
Old 10-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Who's doing the soldering? Maybe they're doing dodgy jobs.
Fake Deans or real ones?
What batteries are you using?
Old 10-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Deans are only rated for 40 to 60 amps continuous, they are only good for 1/10 scale and smaller. I would switch to EC5's
Old 10-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Tech Addict

The soldering was done at my lhs, I've never had an issue with them before. I've used a 7.4v 40c 5000mah battery, 11.1v 20c 2600mah and 11.1v 30c 5000mah all with the same result. The connectors on the 2600 look like knock offs but the others are genuine deans., I'll give the ec5s a go and see what happens. Thanks heaps for the help.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I actually changed to all EC5's because of this reason. Happened in a Slash 4x4 with a Castle 3800KV setup. Got hot and I didn't like it so now all I run is EC5's.

Last edited by RatsacK; 10-18-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What kind of connectors are you using to the battery. I had issues with my battery at the 4mm connections. Found that the connectors were the problem went away from the cage type connectors to a solid 4mm post and no more problem.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Tech Addict

Still not sure what's going on, the guy at 1 shop suggested ec5s and at another shop he said he was running genuine deans with 14.8v battery in a 1/8 buggy with no problems at all. I changed them to genuine deans and ran it for about 20 secs and it was still stuttering and then smoke started to come out of the battery pack. The esc and it's cables were extremely hot after about 20 seconds from stone cold. I guess it means ec5s then, i just don't understand why they would sell as rtr when the first thing u have to do is change the connectors. My mate has the same car and he has no problems with his, it's running same combo deans connectors that came with car and even the same batteries. Once again thanx for the help.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

while I will still suggest the change to EC5's, you've got more going on there. Go through it, everything, something isn't right. If smoke came from the lipo it's probably done. If it is an 8th scale you really should be running 4 cell in it, on 3 cell you're pushing everything harder, with lower volts you are also pushing more amps which could be part of it. I would go through it and check all the wiring and all the bearings, if there is drag from a seized bearing your electronics will heat up quick to.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:38 AM
Tech Addict

Good news, turns out it had nothing to do with connectors but instead the motor. Lhs ran it on another esc with ec5s that they knew worked fine and the motor started squealing then popped the solder on the esc. They replaced the motor and i ran it for a good half hour and it was still not too hot to touch. So big thanks to everyone for your help and the guys at powerslide for being cool about the while thing.