Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Pinion & spur gearing sizes >

Pinion & spur gearing sizes

Pinion & spur gearing sizes

Old 10-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Pinion & spur gearing sizes

Hi all. Looking for a bit of advice, I have a 1/10 scale off road buggy, and stripped my pinion gear today! Can't seem to find the correct info I need to source a replacement. The main (spur) gear is a 52 tooth, and the pinion gear is 24, looking to buy a steel replacement but unsure of the pitch I need. Is this a fairly standard size, and if so could anyone recommend anything? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tom
Old 10-15-2012, 12:56 PM
dtr
Tech Master

Which buggy? 48dp is the most common.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the reply, it's a reely 'carbon fighter' 4wd. Managed to work out its a 48dp now but noticed my spur gear has been chewed too, my question is what size spur would you recommend for a decent all round off road setting? Standard gears were 24/62, I've gone for a 26t pinion, but not sure what spur to go for (bearing in mind I want to maintain a bit of the brushless motor torque, but fancy a bit more top end!
Thanks in advance
Tom
Old 10-18-2012, 08:32 AM
dtr
Tech Master

I am not familiar with the Reely buggy, I suggest you try this calculator (and the others on that site). You will need the transmission ratio; to get it count the number of teeth of ring and pinion gears of the differentials or get this data from the manual.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

If you were happy until it broke I would replace it with the same gear sizes. Most damage is done when the mesh is off, might have been from a hit it took or it could be from a worn part or just backing lose over time.

With that in mind I would watch that mesh and use blue thread locking compound.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. Now trying to find a steel spur gear of the same size, not as easy as it seems as my spur gear bracket is the slotted type that sits on the pin on the cardan shaft, with 4 screw holes, but can't seem to find one!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tom-E View Post
Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. Now trying to find a steel spur gear of the same size, not as easy as it seems as my spur gear bracket is the slotted type that sits on the pin on the cardan shaft, with 4 screw holes, but can't seem to find one!
A steel spur may not be worth the effort, if it exist it would likely cost more than a well stocked supply of standard spur gears. And it would make a lot of noise if you ran it. With proper mesh the plastic spur gears will keep going for a a very long time, they tend to have issues when things either slip out place or bind up.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks, I am going to keep the standard plastic spur gear ( did have an aluminium one but that's taken a beating too) and now have a steel 18t pinion gear and a steel 26t pinion gear, so will test them out to see what works best for me. Thanks for all the helpful advice!