Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Way more steering!!! >

Way more steering!!!

Way more steering!!!

Old 10-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Way more steering!!!

I noticed the losi 22 sct was not even able to turn in a twenty foot radius then. Slap my forehead.... Duh... Forgot to set steering trims on the radio. They were at 100 and go up to 150. Needless to say it chases its tail in circles now. My question is how far can i set the steering without damaging or stressing the front end. Is 150% too much ? How do you know when the steering is maxed out and im not just forcing parts to bend
Old 10-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Tech Addict

Just turn it all the way up and then back it off till it isnt bound up(Usually when your turnbuckle starts to move away from your A arm)
Old 10-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

your steering knuckles are what limit the throw on your steering rack. there is only so far it will go. to proper set it, put the car on the ground and adjust the travel by starting at a low number (in your case, 100) and continue to increase the throw until the wheel stops turning. you want to be at the point at which the wheel just stops turning. Don't worry too much about the noise it makes as long as you are setting your throw to the point at which the steering knuckle just touches the c-hub. do this again for the other side.

I say to put it on the ground because there is natural resistance the tires will make. the servo should struggle a little bit to ensure it is putting enough tension on the wheels. IF you set it and the servo isn't straining A LITTLE BIT, when you head out to the track or backyard, your throw won't be from full left to full right. the servo simply won't push hard enough to compensate for the strain of normal driving.

Now if you simply leave your setting at 150 and you really only need 120 on the left and 135 on the right (never have i had a servo perfect symmetrical), you are over working your servo and will most likely burn it up. I don't know of an rc that isn't strong enough to handle the stress of a servo, so don't worry about that so much.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok thanks so much guys.