Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC8BE Center Differential Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

Default .

Last edited by rct281048910; 01-11-2024 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Tech Champion

Try putting a thick axle grease on the paper gasket (both sides) before you close the diff up. Grease up the o-rings really well. Don't over torque the screws. Don't overfill.

The RC8 is near the bottom of the better race buggies in the durability department. It's ok, tied with the Hotbodies cars. The 1/10th style hinge pin holders and soft fast wearing plastic hold it back. The front arms aren't anywhere near as tough as Losi/Xray/Serpent etc.etc. But it's not really a bad car at all.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Tech Adept

Last edited by rct281048910; 01-11-2024 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

This is still a problem with the current rc8 buggies. I had a heck of a time getting this issue fixed. One thing that will also help is to take a fine grit sand paper and lightly sand the diff cups. Then put them on a flat surface and look to see if you see any light between the diff cup and the table. If so, keep sanding until you have it flat as possible. Also you can double up on the diff gasket or buy the mugen gaskets. Plus like zerodefect said it too put plenty of grease on the gaskets and o-rings.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Tech Adept

Last edited by rct281048910; 01-11-2024 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)

Haha the age old leaky diff problem. It's bound to happen on any RC it's just routine maintenance. I agree AE's center diff is pretty shoddy at best especially leaking after maybe 2 packs and letting the rig sit for a few weeks wondering what that sound is on a hard take off down the street.

I'm currently rebuilding my center diff started last night. I always sand the cup with fine sand paper then clean and dry the housing. That alone helps the most if you don't believe me take a fresh cup out of the package lay it on the table and you will see it is not perfectly level thus will cause slow leakage.

So remember sand, lube and seals before install, make sure they are all properly seated with no tears especially if it's a used seal, check your gears make sure they are still good clean them off with degreaser and a toothbrush, reinstall everything, change to a new gasket in the spur.

I like to dab a little grease along the spur when lining up the holes to keep the gasket in place. I've tried doubling the gaskets before and it doesn't help so one is enough.

In another car a 1/8 eb iffy I went ahead and used Liquid Tape all along the back of the spur and the diff case and man that was the best idea ever!!! Just make sure there's no excess oil run off when applying liquid tape.

Sure may look a but tacky just don't gob the whole thing with it!

About to do the same with my sc8e