Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
ROAR VS the spec racing >

ROAR VS the spec racing

ROAR VS the spec racing

Old 10-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi316
I like the once a year approval for 17.5 motors. Also i think all big races should be, if you place in the a-main of blinky 17.5 then the following year you should have move up. There is no reason why we should see the same names year after year in the a-main at some of these races.

Club racing should be open motor class and offer novice class for beginners.
This is another indication that 17.5 is still just a little too fast (buggy, SCT is about right..). Peer pressure usually takes care of this but if stock is fast enough, what's the point in making things more difficult? In the case of my track, lots of us are running stock because the racing is close and fun. Many of us were competitive in mod but we're enjoying this more. If stock were just a little slower it would encourage more to move back up to modified.

SCT has acted as the "slow" stock the past few years at our tracks and buggy is growing as drivers there move "up" to buggies.

I believe some races have a qualification for stock that a racer must be un-sponsored to enter. That's a good step.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I think some of you missed my point. All the club tracks i go to have open motor class, as most around here don't run stock. Which is fine for club racing.

Lets take roar nationals for example all the racers that placed in the amain this year in all classes, should not be allowed to run stock next year, even if he is not sponsored. They should have to move up to the next class, if that is super stock or mod.

17.5 blinky seems to be the standard at most races for the stock class, so make the next step 13.5 or boosted 17.5.
For me i only get to race about twice a month so i just run my 17.5 and i have fun in the open class. Its not so much of making things more difficult, its more about making sure someone does not get there feelings hurt so they can go home with their little trophy in stock because the most like would not get one if they ran in the class they should be in.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi316
I think some of you missed my point. All the club tracks i go to have open motor class, as most around here don't run stock. Which is fine for club racing.

Lets take roar nationals for example all the racers that placed in the amain this year in all classes, should not be allowed to run stock next year, even if he is not sponsored. They should have to move up to the next class, if that is super stock or mod.

17.5 blinky seems to be the standard at most races for the stock class, so make the next step 13.5 or boosted 17.5.
For me i only get to race about twice a month so i just run my 17.5 and i have fun in the open class. Its not so much of making things more difficult, its more about making sure someone does not get there feelings hurt so they can go home with their little trophy in stock because the most like would not get one if they ran in the class they should be in.
I think in your area STOCK is not used properly, a STOCK class doesnt have to be a ROOKIE class, thats what NOVICE is for. Although I agree NOVICE should be a stock class as well to help their skills but why should I have to run a mod class if I dont want to. You could have one guy win every single mod race you through but nothing will be said to him, your not going to stop someone from winning everynight if their skill level is just that far from everyone else, but I like the choice of MOD or STOCK or get run BOTH. Novice is for beginners.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Both tracks i go to offer a stock class but most buggy guys run mod, there is alway a stock sc class. When either track holds a points series race or a special race they have enough guys show up to have a stock class. Your typical friday or sunday club race most people run open buggy. Both places crcrc and the rc factory run very good programs. This debate will go on for years, it always has.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Tech Adept

I think a large lesson here could be taken from onroad USVTA and USGT. Neither of these classes are meant to be the fastest classes on the market, but both provide some of the closest, most exciting racing you will ever see.

Just because the classes are slow doesn't mean it's meant for novice's or rookies. I for one would rather run a slightly slower class with more people and tighter racing where driving/car setup ability means much more than who has the latest program in their speedo. I'll also make the argument that VTA and USGT drivers are as good and sometimes better than their 17.5/mod counterparts, although the fast guys will always be fast, no matter what class you're running.

Either way, the formula of slower with tightly controlled specs seems to be working better than ROAR's. I was just at the USVTA Southern Nats in Tennessee last month, a race centered around USVTA and USGT, and the turnout was better than the ROAR Nats in Joliet this summer.

This being said, IMO, think the skill level of some of the offroad racers (onroad too really) is lacking, and they try to make up for driving errors with more motor, which causes the motor of the week war. I watch drivers at my local offroad track struggle with certain sections, unable to clear certain jumps, and they try changing motors before they try changing their driving line. Seems kinda backwards to me...
Old 10-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

X2

I ran Stock SCT when I first got into racing and it is a great class to learn in. Quickly after winning a few races in a row I was pressured into moving up to Mod. I like the added challenge of going slow since it requires you to drive smoother and you can't make up lost time on straightaways as easily.

If Stock SCT was more competitive locally I'd rather run that but sadly I'm going to have to go Mod :/
Old 10-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by wizzles29
This being said, IMO, think the skill level of some of the offroad racers (onroad too really) is lacking, and they try to make up for driving errors with more motor, which causes the motor of the week war. I watch drivers at my local offroad track struggle with certain sections, unable to clear certain jumps, and they try changing motors before they try changing their driving line. Seems kinda backwards to me...
Well nobody is as good as they think they are.

You are right though, off-roaders get hung up on being able to clear the tough jumps (present company included) only to find it takes about 1/2 the power once we get the driving line dialed and in between we struggle with that big motor everywhere else on the track. Such are the frustrations that drive less skilled mod drivers away to other things.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Another way to limit the spec class is to just allow only one type of esc/motor combo like the SP or the Novak spec system. Everyone will be the same level playing field. Why don't more people just do that instead of fighting over the motor of the week? Even better idea will be to spec the tires and batteries too.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Then the good guys that can make use of that power will do all sorts of stuff (like buying multiple rotors to test magnet strength) to get that extra edge. Then the novice racers will get no chance at all and get discouraged before even thinking about getting better skills.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redbones
Another way to limit the spec class is to just allow only one type of esc/motor combo like the SP or the Novak spec system. Everyone will be the same level playing field. Why don't more people just do that instead of fighting over the motor of the week? Even better idea will be to spec the tires and batteries too.
I've stated my favor of the spec, handout motors but I think making a whole esc/motor combo or spec tires and batteries is maybe a little too much, You mise well just have a box stock class then. Tires cost pretty much the same from company to company and all have competitive tires, And the fact that some tires just don't feel the same to some people as others. Batteries I wouldn't even get into that, Its a widely debatable topic on what batteries are "worth" and this name vs that name and the whole "C-Rating" thing...just to much to regulate at a simple club level. In a stock class I have NO problems or worries running my "cheap" Gens Ace and Nano-Techs against $100+ Orions and Thunder Power, I know I'm just not getting beat by their batteries. Although I think its debatable that every ESC Blinky mode is the same...I think a Blinky class with handout motors would provide the best solution to the "stock" racing scene.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Team Tekin

Free markets and competition is what makes the system work, and who sponsors the races. Products get better in terms of performance, reliability and cost because of competition. As things mature all the products that keep up tend to level out as we all push against the same limits of the motors.

Stock racing is more fair and equal right now than it ever has been in the history of RC !

Granted there may be a product now and then that are suspect, but it is usually exposed fairly quickly.

There is a place for spec racing. However it is not the very competitive class of stock across the board. Stock is not a novice or beginner class, it is a racers class with moderate speeds and a different driving style than mod to be fast. It is its own challenge to roll corners and carry speed. Car setup may be even more important in stock then mod to be fast. It is consistency and details instead of point and shoot, hammer down and hang on with ninja reflexes.

Yes a novice driver has little chance against the good guys that likely have a huge investment of time and energy to master the art of RC racing. It is not a magic rotor holding them back. Personally that is what keeps me motivated is getting beat. If I was competitive early on in my career with little effort I would be bored and moved on long ago…

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 10-17-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I think a large lesson here could be taken from onroad USVTA and USGT. Neither of these classes are meant to be the fastest classes on the market, but both provide some of the closest, most exciting racing you will ever see.

Just because the classes are slow doesn't mean it's meant for novice's or rookies. I for one would rather run a slightly slower class with more people and tighter racing where driving/car setup ability means much more than who has the latest program in their speedo. I'll also make the argument that VTA and USGT drivers are as good and sometimes better than their 17.5/mod counterparts, although the fast guys will always be fast, no matter what class you're running.

Either way, the formula of slower with tightly controlled specs seems to be working better than ROAR's. I was just at the USVTA Southern Nats in Tennessee last month, a race centered around USVTA and USGT, and the turnout was better than the ROAR Nats in Joliet this summer.

+1

Someone else mentioned it earlier. Why not go by motor rpm output. I have a novak sentry data logger that has a sensor wire tap that can pretty much tell the average rpm put out by each motor. We used it in our vta series to ensure everyone had similar timing set on the motors. It was even used to catch the guy that had 5000 more rpms than the others. Ironically, in the enduro race the day we teched and used it, guess who won. It was the guy who had the lowest maximum rpm. The only thing you have to ensure is they have their epa's maxed out when you check it on the data logger.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by jmackani
+1

Someone else mentioned it earlier. Why not go by motor rpm output. I have a novak sentry data logger that has a sensor wire tap that can pretty much tell the average rpm put out by each motor. We used it in our vta series to ensure everyone had similar timing set on the motors.
It would need to be accompanied by a gearing limitation. 17.5s are pulling so much gear that we're trying to find ways to fit bigger pinions/smaller spurs on to most cars. An electric motor does not need to spin fast to make more power like a fuel engine does.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Davidka
It would need to be accompanied by a gearing limitation. 17.5s are pulling so much gear that we're trying to find ways to fit bigger pinions/smaller spurs on to most cars. An electric motor does not need to spin fast to make more power like a fuel engine does.
The VTA's are restricted by gearing also.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford
I think a good idea for large sanctioned events would be a timed practice to seed everyone. Top 33% in pro, middle 33% in expert, bottom 33% in sportsman. Run what you want motor wise, let the clock sort them out. Re- seed after 2 rounds of qualifying. If you obviously sand bag in qualifying and blow people away in the main (lap times improved by a certain pre determined amount), you get bumped to the next level lowest main. Oh and bump ups.

Randy I really like the one approval per year thing. Good idea.
This idea is pretty much what happens today after a first round re-sort. Instead of rating the vehicles, run them all together, do a resort and then rate the drivers based on the re-sort. Call the A main pro, B main Pro-am, C-Main Amateur, etc. Then each week depending on how you qualify you will still be running with a similar set of drivers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.