Associated 12mm Big Bore Shock Thread >

Associated 12mm Big Bore Shock Thread

Like Tree2Likes

Associated 12mm Big Bore Shock Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 03:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Team Associated Big Bore Opinions

I had to get a pair of the new AE shocks for sure, long time in the making. Ive run kyosho shocks on my AE cars in the past and have had great success, but I must say the new AE shocks are really good. The car is planted on the inside way more, alot of steering enhancements surfaced, less chassis slap of course, and a little more forgiving when casing jumps.Im running them on my worlds b4 and they have changed the feel of the car insanely. Now that ive talked about the good, lets get to the not so good...I only have 1 major complaint. I know thi is their first 12mm shock and they designed it to work on all there 1/10 platforms, but they needed to design the shock for each car. I keep in mind they are releasing a new shock for old platforms, but the shocks on the b4 rub front and rear horribly even with the recommended spacing they provide. The rear shocks are jackknifed terribly at an angle making the shock more resistant to travel. What I have done forst off is change the eylet on the screw to plastic and not aluminum, used the recommended spacing for the top, and NONE for the bottom in the rear. I used a dremel and knotched the shock tower to alllow the shock body to clear the tower and travel almost straight up and down. It helped alot. Also I tried the stock setting for setup and it was ok I suppose, all stock internals with 27.5wt rear and 30wr frnt...i rebuilt already and used the losi 4 hole pistons, 54 rear 55 front, with 25wt oil rear and 30 front, with kyosho o-rings and there awesome.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Are they just as smooth or smoother then your previous K shocks?
Old 10-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SAGISI View Post
Are they just as smooth or smoother then your previous K shocks?
The kyosho shocks will be always be better quality and smoother in my opinion. But after i put the kyosho o-rings and different pistons they are actually really smooth, but once again there no kyoshos. I will say for the price which is less than 100$ they are worth every penny and some.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

All the negatives you listed are issues with the B4, not the shock.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post

O-man , we got shocks & springs just as good or better then yours ..
NaNa NaNa...

PS
Always had the best geometry..

good luck keeping up with ....
Old 10-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
O-man , we got shocks & springs just as good or better then yours ..
NaNa NaNa...

PS
Always had the best geometry..

good luck keeping up with ....
Keeping up with who, you?

I got to check out the new AE big bores last night in person... They look really really good. As good as the Ks? Nope... but damn close. Big props to AE.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Yea like I said i keep in mind there new shocks on old cars, no different than runnin kyoshos on the b4 before. But now with the b44.2 coming out, i wouldnt be surprised if we see a new 2wd from team Ae in the near future, the b4 has been around long enough, it needs some major reconstruction. On the other hand i got to see the b44.2 in person today as team ae has it displayed in there glass case in the main lobby now, and it looks really good, lot of changes made that arent pointed out in the press release...
Old 10-05-2012, 06:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Relentless89 View Post
Yea like I said i keep in mind there new shocks on old cars, no different than runnin kyoshos on the b4 before. But now with the b44.2 coming out, i wouldnt be surprised if we see a new 2wd from team Ae in the near future, the b4 has been around long enough, it needs some major reconstruction. On the other hand i got to see the b44.2 in person today as team ae has it displayed in there glass case in the main lobby now, and it looks really good, lot of changes made that arent pointed out in the press release...
Point therm out please.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I just installed a set on my B4.1 WC last night. They went together nicely but I still like the overall constuction of the Kyosho shocks better. I never really cared for the blue aluminum upper mounting pivots but it looks like thats what we're stuck using with these top caps. The install was pretty straight forward, just a little grinding and shimming and I was pretty happy. I'm starting out with losi springs orange/white 1.6 pistons and 30w/27.5w oils. (no AE springs yet). I'm going to run it tonight for the first time. I bought them for my B44.1 but I thought they would be interesting to try them on this car first. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nhraman View Post
I just installed a set on my B4.1 WC last night. They went together nicely but I still like the overall constuction of the Kyosho shocks better. I never really cared for the blue aluminum upper mounting pivots but it looks like thats what we're stuck using with these top caps. The install was pretty straight forward, just a little grinding and shimming and I was pretty happy. I'm starting out with losi springs orange/white 1.6 pistons and 30w/27.5w oils. (no AE springs yet). I'm going to run it tonight for the first time. I bought them for my B44.1 but I thought they would be interesting to try them on this car first. I'll let you know how it goes.
Yea I have the wc kyoshos on my b44.1 and dont think Im gona change for the AE, but the b4 they do wonders for. I tried the stock setup the recommend and it was too soft for me...ive rebuilt once so far, with kyosho o-rings, losi 4 hole pistons, 54 rear 55 front, and 30wt all around, and its extremely planted and feels great...just my personal experience to throw out and see if anyody else likes it.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:29 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
Point therm out please.
Different hinge pin design, taller towers with more tuning options to accomidate the new shocks, wider wheel base, aluminum shock tower option...i think those are the only things that werent pointed out very clearly...maybe they did and I missed it but those are definently some major changes.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:34 AM
Tech Adept

Different hinge pin design, taller towers with more tuning options to accomidate the new shocks, wider wheel base, aluminum shock tower option...i think those are the only things that werent pointed out very clearly...maybe they did and I missed it but those are definently some major changes.
And you gathered all this from looking at the car in the case??
Old 10-07-2012, 01:39 AM
Tech Legend

Thanks for the tip ....
Old 10-07-2012, 03:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i want to hear someone chime in on the yokomo big bores (version II) versus the new associated big bores. the yokomo's are butter smooth. i want to personally try them out on my rigs, but i'm still looking for a place that stocks the associated's.

it's good to see that associated has a boatload of springs and spring cups.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by OptimumRC View Post
And you gathered all this from looking at the car in the case??
its not hard to spot those differences, especially with the shock hole settings on the towers, also the hinge pins arent visible and also dont have grubs to hold them in place anymore so if thats not different than the old i dont know what is the wider wheel base is not hard to notice as well, thats the first thing visible. And I was told by an employee there that the aluminum shock towers that were on it were an option, and that the kit will come with carbon fiber.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.