Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gear grease?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

If you're running a gear diff, you need to use diff fluid (losi, associated, etc.), not grease inside of it. 3000-5000wt would be fine.

After you fill the diff, put all the gears back into the transmission half, then put around 5 drops of 50wt shock oil on the gears to lubricate them. Then, reassemble the transmission.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:26 AM
Tech Rookie

I striped my upgraded idler gear so now I bought a new one. I was thinking I needed to clean it out as I found some broken teeth in it. Has any of the technology changed with the oil/grease since these posts are 5 years old. I have a savage flux xs and want to make sure I put the right fluid in to prevent another busted gear.

Also could there be something else going on that I show check for the stripped gear? I read checking the slipper? I have never touch the slipper so it should still be stock. Also what do you guys use to clean out the gears and what to use on the metal gears I now have in there, the 3000-5000wt?