Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
17.5 motor and esc choices? >

17.5 motor and esc choices?

17.5 motor and esc choices?

Old 10-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default 17.5 motor and esc choices?

What are the "fast guys" running in the 17.5 class?
Old 10-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hydrodancer View Post
You are going to get 100 responses and 100 different recommendations. Best thing to do is run what the fast guys are running at your local track so you have somebody to bounce ideas off, if you run into issues or need setup help. That being said, I have run just about everything, and this is the fastest combo to date:

Orion R10 ESC
Fantom 6900mah 100c Lipo
Fantom ION4 17.5 motor
12.5 High Torque rotor for Short course
12.5 Broad Power band rotor for Buggy
Old 10-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default faster

Schuurspeed motor are the fastest motors out right know in 17.5!!
Better that any motor with a high torque rotor....
LRP has a new esc coming out this month the flow It will be very good and bulletproof!!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JPKinsella View Post
LRP has a new esc coming out this month the flow It will be very good and bulletproof!!
It's not even out yet and you are already calling it bulletproof?
Old 10-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I run a Viper VTX10 with a RevTech 17.5... I have also run the Reedy Sonic and Team Icon 17.5's. All preform well. No matter how fast the motor is, if your truck is not dialed in your not gonna go fast...
Old 10-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

Reedy sonic comes with a 12.5 rotor out of the box and its fast and smoothe. Brushlesshobbies LT4 80amp or 120 amp esc. Same as the Reedy motor,fast and smoothe. Also it has a great price point. Brushlesshobbies.com
Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JPKinsella View Post
Schuurspeed motor are the fastest motors out right know in 17.5!!
Better that any motor with a high torque rotor....
That really depends on layout and application. I have tried many, many setups with the Schuur Speed and while it's buttery smooth and very easy to drive consistently, it lacks low end torque that my RevTech has. In an SC at the track I primarily run at, if you don't have a torque rotor you have to swing wide to make jumps, costing precious tenths every lap. In a buggy I could give the nod to the Schuur Speed as the lighter weight would more than offset the torque loss. I just picked up a D3.5 Maxzilla to try out, but right now for SC I definitely say Revtech over Schuur Speed. And I really expect the new motor to outperform the Revtech .
Old 10-08-2012, 08:14 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
You are going to get 100 responses and 100 different recommendations.
+1 true statement!

I myself am VERY impressed with my "stock" setup.
Tekin RS ESC
Novak Velociti 17.5t with 13mm tuning rotor
Turnigy nanotech 6000mah 65C lipo
Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

My setup in my Short Course works great Tekin Redline 17.5-Team Orion R10 pro-Team Orion 90c battery-and a Savox servo.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

13.5s
Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Reedy sonic. Period end of story...
Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
That really depends on layout and application. I have tried many, many setups with the Schuur Speed and while it's buttery smooth and very easy to drive consistently, it lacks low end torque that my RevTech has. In an SC at the track I primarily run at, if you don't have a torque rotor you have to swing wide to make jumps, costing precious tenths every lap. In a buggy I could give the nod to the Schuur Speed as the lighter weight would more than offset the torque loss. I just picked up a D3.5 Maxzilla to try out, but right now for SC I definitely say Revtech over Schuur Speed. And I really expect the new motor to outperform the Revtech .
Very curious about that D3.5 Maxzilla. How did it turn out?
Old 10-09-2012, 12:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Bryan, for your track I think the d3.5 is the top one right now. Might be biased but you saw my truck Friday night.

I also have the revtech but the d3.5 is a little bit faster, at least for me.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
I would have to respectfully disagree with you on one point. The Schuur Speed motor does NOT lack low end torque. It comes with a 12.5mm Sintered Neodymium Rotor, which is a high quality rotor, and lends itself to more torque over other 12.5mm rotors. If you run a 13mm rotor you're going to have more torque, but 13mm rotors are currently not ROAR legal.

I am often able to find a setup and gearing that allows me to stay tight and make jumps that others who don't put the time in to figure out can't clear.

Like you said it really depends on the layout, conditions, and application/setup. If your truck/buggy can't carry corner speed or get the forward traction it needs from a motor putting out torque it may feel like a lack of torque. You need to gear and TIME the motor for the appropriate conditions. Every motor has a sweet spot for certain conditions. What you might think is a lack of torque could be wheel spin, or a loose slipper, or just geared high with too much timing.

The RevTech is fast, but I know of at least 2 guys that race at our local track switched to SchuurSpeed.

In regards to the D3.5, yes it's a fast motor, and it really shows in on-road racing, if you follow the on-road scene lot's of complaints about it, I believe it's also responsible for this http://www.roarracing.com/?p=1688 and this http://www.roarracing.com/?p=1703 but will have to keep an eye out to see which motors (if any) get pulled from the approval list.

There is a set of rules in which these SPEC motors have to be built to, and there isn't much that separates these motors, other than the design, weight, cooling, and quality of materials used to build them. Search for 17.5 to see, http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/..._Rule_Book.pdf

I would suggest trying out different brands and see what you like the best because really that is all that matters.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tschenck View Post
Bryan, for your track I think the d3.5 is the top one right now. Might be biased but you saw my truck Friday night.

I also have the revtech but the d3.5 is a little bit faster, at least for me.
I thought that class was open? Pete told me that you were running a 13.5.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.